DIY boat storage compartment

moses

Hi group. I have and issue with storage on my 13 ft smoker craft. 2015 I believe. I have a 

solid floor with a split seat in the middle. I really want a compartment for storage. Is it advisable to remove foam and hinge the lid.

to create a storage for my fishing tackle or gear. Will I compromise the boat. Moses

Boats are built around a structural "base", if you decide to change that, the boat may become "floppy".  A friend of mine did that, cut out part of the center bench seat, bad move.  The upright walls on either side crack right down to the hull and he needed to get it fixed.  Call Smokercraft, they make them. 

I believe I bought my 14.6 ft sylvan about 15 years ago . Not sure, but do know the 2nd owner still has it . I wanted a live well and a battery storage box  also a front casting deck .

So

I cut a hole in the bow bench . Removed flotation foam, Installed a fabricated aluminum box to hold the battery with a lid. This also balanced the boat out with having a 20 hp merc and 6 hp kicker on the stern .

The middle seat, I cut a 10 x 30 area out.  Removed flotation foam .Installed another fabricated aluminum box with lid, which was my live well. Installed air rater and bilge .

Never really effected the boat or the way it floated or handled. Like I said, the 2nd owner still has and uses it .

For what you want to do, I would not even 2nd guess. Just do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, misfish said:

I believe I bought my 14.6 ft sylvan about 15 years ago . Not sure, but do know the 2nd owner still has it . I wanted a live well and a battery storage box  also a front casting deck .

So

I cut a hole in the bow bench . Removed flotation foam, Installed a fabricated aluminum box to hold the battery with a lid. This also balanced the boat out with having a 20 hp merc and 6 hp kicker on the stern .

The middle seat, I cut a 10 x 30 area out.  Removed flotation foam .Installed another fabricated aluminum box with lid, which was my live well. Installed air rater and bilge .

Never really effected the boat or the way it floated or handled. Like I said, the 2nd owner still has and uses it .

For what you want to do, I would not even 2nd guess. Just do it.

Did this exact same thing on my last boat. 14’ crestliner.  Cut a 16” long opening removed foam for storage in the front bench. In the middle bench cut a 24” long opening removed foam and installed welded aluminum box with lid about 20”long x 8” deep x 6” height with recirc pump. Also didn’t affect boat performance. Just make sure to not affect your boat’s structure. 

Edited by Musky Plug