The List

2 hours ago, John Bacon said:

I am not sure.  It would be more logical to make them illegal; but the government is not always logical.

Overcapacity magazines were "prohibited devices" already for all centre fire rifles and handguns.  They are allowed for rimfire rifles only.  There was lots of publicity about this in regards to some the .22 rimfire mags such as the Ruger 10/22 and Mossberg 715T high cap mags.  These were allowed in Canada at one time but became prohibited basically overnight because somebody built a handgun that they would fit in.  Since they now fit a handgun, unbeknownst to thousands of innocent owners, they suddenly became felons for owning prohibited devices without notice or any sort of an amnesty period.  

Edited by G.mech
  • Like 2

Saw a post earlier today where one of the scary black guns on the list is actually an Airsoft gun made of plastic with the bright orange barrel. 

One might think the law was put together by a bunch of people lacking grey matter. 🤬

• Like 3

I’m not a gun owner, but if I lived in the bush, especially remote areas, I’d want hunting rifles that had a small magazine or shotguns that held more than 2 cartridges. Out in big bear country I’d want a large caliber handgun on my chest.

It would be all about securing food and protecting me from large predators. 

Truth be told, I had no idea assault rifles were even legal in Canada. I don’t feel the need to own one, therefore banning them makes no difference to me. But I do see the concern in government removing our rights. 

26 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Truth be told, I had no idea assault rifles were even legal in Canada. I don’t feel the need to own one, therefore banning them makes no difference to me. But I do see the concern in government removing our rights. 

Assault rifles have been banned since 1976,  only semi auto look alikes have available since then and even most of those have been registered as they are restricted.

47 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I’m not a gun owner, but if I lived in the bush, especially remote areas, I’d want hunting rifles that had a small magazine or shotguns that held more than 2 cartridges. Out in big bear country I’d want a large caliber handgun on my chest.

It would be all about securing food and protecting me from large predators. 

The term "assault rifle" is not legally defined in Canada.  Depending on how you define it, they may have already been illegal.

44 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Am I using the wrong terminology? (“Assault rifle”)

No, the government is using the wrong term calling all the semi autos on that list " assault rifles " a semi auto clone is no more an assault rifle than the Ford Fusion on your local dealers' lot is a race car cause it has the same body as something they race in NASCAR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G.mech said:

This may help clarify the clear functional differences between assault rifles and other semi auto rifles that remain legal:

image000000.png

Not OK anymore, the Mini 14 is now on the prohibited list including the Mini 30 , it used to be unregistered, I used one with a 20 round mag for some coyote hunting before the mag restrictions.

Edited by dave524

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Not OK anymore, the Mini 14 is now on the prohibited list including the Mini 30 , it used to be unregistered, I used one with a 20 round mag for some coyote hunting before the mag restrictions.

Okay maybe that is a bad example then but there are others that this situation still applies to.....I think you realize that too Dave.  

I want @AKRISONERto post the one he has.....go ahead, I double dog dare ya!

Edited by G.mech

52 minutes ago, G.mech said:

Okay maybe that is a bad example then but there are others that this situation still applies to.....I think you realize that too Dave.  

I want @AKRISONERto post the one he has.....go ahead, I double dog dare ya!

lol I know my post makes me seem like im very much "asking for a friend" but I actually am...Im not a hunter and the only time i shoot is occasionally with the 22 at the lake for some targets. Typically though even that I just bring out the pellet gun. The guns around my place were just passed down from my grandfather on the farm. Everything we have is bolt action oldschool boring stuff, no scopes, pump action etc.

Edited by AKRISONER

I was just doing some more reading on this and see the list includes a toy air soft gun!!  I didn't believe it until I looked it up for myself:

image.png.3a7ec14276a2b2e7641fc7d3e5b6d0db.png

http://www.kingarms.com/productpage.asp?prodid=2021

Better let your kids know they are felons if the go outside to play....I think there's lots of loopholes, misses, and mistakes in this regulation change that will need to be revisited.  

1 minute ago, AKRISONER said:

lol I know my post makes me seem like im very much "asking for a friend" but I actually am...Im not a hunter and the only time i shoot is occasionally with the 22 at the lake for some targets. Typically though even that I just bring out the pellet gun. The guns around my place were just passed down from my grandfather on the farm. Everything we have is bolt action oldschool boring stuff, no scopes, pump action etc.

No, that wasn't my point, I want you to post the picture you sent me with the 3 Rugers....LOL!

9 minutes ago, G.mech said:

No, that wasn't my point, I want you to post the picture you sent me with the 3 Rugers....LOL!

HAHAHA! i should but I think this thread is important and the OP has indicated that he wanted the thread to remain informative and not political. I may unleash it in a less important thread.

Having worked in an arms reach industry (recycling) which is regulated by government, I have seen this all too many times. Especially in this case where it seems like the entire thing was written up between the period of the nova scotia shooting and the release of the changes themselves. 

Like in most industries, you have people in certain positions there because they have some knowledge of the subject matter, but the real experts are the ones actually doing the work. Ive seen it while policy was being developed around the management of the recycling of pressurized containers in Ontario, they hired consultants that have been working in the "recycling field" for years, but when it came to the pressurized container industry they have no actual idea about the inner workings of that industry. As such they come up with ideas and concepts that are 100% illogical and not feasible. 

The more you rush the regulation, the more mistakes, holes and problems you have. Clearly this thing is fundamentally flawed, and to be honest this stuff just becomes cannon fodder for Lawyers. Theres basically 0 way any of the stuff will hold up in court retroactively. Yes this kind of stuff can stop you from purchasing new guns, but anything grandfathered? Good luck having a charge stick. Over time re-iterations and ammendments will be made to the policy tightening its understanding, but as of right now I would say that all this regulation is doing is stopping the further sale of these weapons in Canada...The pandemic aside if Canadian Tire was still open I bet you could probably place an order for guns that are "technically restricted"

Thats the other thing, you are also relying on the gun retailers to appropriately understand which of their guns are now "banned" Aside from the direct list of names which would be cross referenced against their systems inventory, any of these weird "energy" limitations take forever to actually be appropriately identified within a retailers inventory systems.

Much like my industry where packaging material weights and compositions are required to be recorded for each sku sold (think of how extensive that is for walmart) These things can take literally over a decade to catch up on and become robust. 

in time once all of the weird mistakes and holes are filled with understanding the law will actually be enforceable. 

i.e. if you are an airsoft enthusiast, I wouldnt worry too much about having your "gun" in your possession.

Edited by AKRISONER

42 minutes ago, G.mech said:

I was just doing some more reading on this and see the list includes a toy air soft gun!!  I didn't believe it until I looked it up for myself:

image.png.3a7ec14276a2b2e7641fc7d3e5b6d0db.png

http://www.kingarms.com/productpage.asp?prodid=2021

Better let your kids know they are felons if the go outside to play....I think there's lots of loopholes, misses, and mistakes in this regulation change that will need to be revisited.  

The link I posted a few posts back relates to this.

https://thepostmillennial.com/airsoft-gun-found-on-the-list-of-assault-style-firearms-banned-by-the-liberal-government?fbclid=IwAR14aQLboBEGf_SgZ15R7j0VNPnobDIpfaklvPUxdLGiErD0SDs_NF2zEME

2 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Ya sorry, I didn't see that.....my bad.  I owe you a beer I guess.  If I leave Brantford now, what time do I get to your place?

Edited by G.mech

1 hour ago, John Bacon said:

A quarter pounder?  Is a metal flare gun strong enough to fire a slug?  😉

Looks like you can still buy one at tradex for 125 dollars. No licence required! Of course I have no idea if it’s metal but if you feel like living life on the edge, give it a shot. Because sometimes you just gotta know.

Edited by Weeds