The List

See a lot like the cheap, easily obtainable SKS  like CTC sells and the popular Ruger Mini 14  , that aren't even restricted now on the list. With the long gun registry supposedly gone, they have no record of who owns these, betting a few hundred thousand out there,  honour system to comply , I guess.

I do think that any restrictions that take away your ability to protect yourself is a serious subject and needs to be decided by the people who it affects. So I want to give it a chance to be discussed in a non political non name calling manner.   If me hatetheguns shows up and has less than 20 posts I will put him in modQ. lol

Art

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aplumma said:

Fair warning I will try to let this run but if it goes political like the last one it will be locked. 

Art

My original intent was not a thread for discussion , but perhaps a sticky of the the current list of newly prohibs for reference of the gun owners' here and then closed to posting, this link is the official transcript of the Order in Council  

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-05-01-x3/html/sor-dors96-eng.html

Can somebody dumb it down for  A non-gun owner? 

Are handguns banned or just assault rifles? 

What about rifles that have a magazine or shotguns that will carry certain amount of cartridges.

I had a look at the list but I really don’t know what those models are and what much of it means 

• Like 1

I’m no gun expert but am an occasional hunter. I think  proper assault rifles have fully automatic firing capabilities, and were already banned in Canada. I think the list is  in large part rifles styled to look like assault/sniper  rifles. It’s a long list and I’m unfamiliar with most of the names on it. Handguns are still legal so far as I know, you just need a special licence. I think gun enthusiasts and collectors are most likely to be affected by these new rules. I think the most commonly purchased bolt action rifles and shotguns are mostly unaffected from your average hunters perspective. But that’s just my 2 cents

Edited by Weeds
Fun
  • Like 1

Well all I can say is that I'm very relieved that the gang bangers who are the root of the gun problem will now have to turn in their Klyukva Rocket Launchers and Russian Artillery M1942 Anti-Tank Guns.   I guess we'll be much safer now that they're stuck with their illegally obtained revolvers, 9mm lugers, and glocks. 

Thanks for your strong stance and protecting us Justin but if you really think this is any sort of solution to gun crimes, you're kidding yourself and your minions.  

• Like 4

They banned all the black "scary looking" guns.  🙄

I'm just glad I didn't spring for the new gun I was looking at getting because it's on the list and would have been $2k gone thanks to people who don't even know anything about guns.  🤬

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John Bacon said:

Are these two actual firearms?  Or, websites?

• (z.085) AR15.Com ARFCOM;
  • (z.086) AR15.Com AR15.Com;

Yes, real guns. Apparently only a few were imported here from the US. 

That website/forum in the US had a run of AR's built for them. Same as if OFC had a reel built, an example would be an "Abu Garcia OFC.com" spinning reel. 

I fired a lot of guns when I was younger, target practice, etc at my Dad's hunting camp and my cousin's cottage. I haven't kept up-to-date on firearms, and am unsure of how to interpret the list of banned firearms. Are most of these single/double shot (i.e. your standard hunting rifle style), or are they magazine-ready and capable of firing lots of rounds/minute? If so, are those magazine-capable guns a small subset of the newly-banned firearms? I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on this, but would appreciate an informed, unbiased interpretation. It's very hard to find a source of discussion that isn't political with people being hyperbolic. Thank you.

On 5/2/2020 at 10:09 AM, dave524 said:

honour system to comply , I guess.

Big risk in owning illegal firearms, you’ll never know the day when a police officer shows up in your house for whatever reason.

guys the OP has asked that this being about informing people, do him a favour and keep the memes and trudeau bashing out of here.

create your own thread to get locked elsewhere.

11 hours ago, Ronzo said:

I fired a lot of guns when I was younger, target practice, etc at my Dad's hunting camp and my cousin's cottage. I haven't kept up-to-date on firearms, and am unsure of how to interpret the list of banned firearms. Are most of these single/double shot (i.e. your standard hunting rifle style), or are they magazine-ready and capable of firing lots of rounds/minute? If so, are those magazine-capable guns a small subset of the newly-banned firearms? I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on this, but would appreciate an informed, unbiased interpretation. It's very hard to find a source of discussion that isn't political with people being hyperbolic. Thank you.

There are some bolt action rifles included in the ban.  But most or the banned firearms are semi-automatics that accept magazines. 

But not all semi-automatics with magazines have been banned.   For the most part, the ones that look like military firearms are banned; one that look like a traditional hunting rifle are still legal.

Magazines were already limited to five rounds, so they cannot legally fire a lot of rounds per minute.  They can just fire five rounds very quickly before you have to reload.  Although, if you were able to get an illegal large capacity magazine, you could fire a lot of rounds per minute.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Bacon said:

There are some bolt action rifles included in the ban.  But most or the banned firearms are semi-automatics that accept magazines. 

But not all semi-automatics with magazines have been banned.   For the most part, the ones that look like military firearms are banned; one that look like a traditional hunting rifle are still legal.

Magazines were already limited to five rounds, so they cannot legally fire a lot of rounds per minute.  They can just fire five rounds very quickly before you have to reload.  Although, if you were able to get an illegal large capacity magazine, you could fire a lot of rounds per minute.

Many thanks, John. That's extremely helpful to my understanding.

12 hours ago, John Bacon said:

are those magazines illegal to purchase if imported from the United States? My understanding is that you can purchase the magazine, it is only technically illegal to install it? I may be totally incorrect here.

6 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

are those magazines illegal to purchase if imported from the United States? My understanding is that you can purchase the magazine, it is only technically illegal to install it? I may be totally incorrect here.

I am not sure.  It would be more logical to make them illegal; but the government is not always logical.

• Like 1