TVO talks to northern outfitters

https://www.tvo.org/article/the-biggest-thing-this-industry-has-ever-faced-northern-outfitters-brace-for-covid-19

Before the COVID-19 pandemic, Excellent Adventures co-owner Faron Buckler had expected 25 Texan doctors to be loading their fishing gear onto floatplanes in Red Lake on Victoria Day weekend. They’d then lift off for lodges in the northern Ontario wilderness, hoping to bring home a trophy fish — or at least a good story about the one that got away.

But, across northern Ontario, hunting outfitters, such as Buckler’s, are beginning to worry that 2020 might be the year the whole summer got away. Non-essential businesses remain shut due to a provincial order, and the United States-Canada border will be closed to recreational traffic until at least May 20. “We're definitely worried we could lose the year,” Buckler says. “We're losing a lot of the tourists already. They're scared to travel, and they're not certain of the conditions — especially the older clientele.”

I think it's going to be a disaster Rob. Lots of outfitters will get screwed and lose their shirt.

Things were booming before this virus. I know 1 up and coming outfitter that just went all in and paid a lot of money to buy some solid camps, bad timing, I hope they can make it through this.

I've got friends that own a Water Depot in Oakville, they're basically screwed unless the gov't introduces something new, something that us taxpayers will eventually pay for...

it's just an ugly mess

So much of their business is from the states as well. Many are owned by Americans that of course can’t cross the border to even see what shape their camps are in. The frustrating thing is that nothing can be done right now. 

• Like 1

This is definitely one market segment that is going to be hit hard. So many strikes against them...non-essential, American clientele, and small business. Plus with so many job losses and a looming recession, spending is tight. I hope they have a booming fall season. 

• Like 2