Where are all the worms?

captpierre

2 hours ago, Garnet said:

Don't use road worms they have road rash . Will contaminate your good worms and all will die. 

Been using road worms for over 20 years....once I got too lazy to collect them at night with a flashlight and have never had a problem. I collect them after a rain and they go straight into fresh moss I pick out of my back yard with a sprinkle of corn meal to feed them.  Then they are in my fridge until I use them. Generally get used up quickly but I have had them in the fridge for 2 months without a problem, just have to give them some more cornmeal every once in a while. In all this time I might of had a dozen dead ones. Maybe our street here doesn't have any harmful chemicals on the pavement or whatever causes the worms to be contaminated?

I picked up a bar fridge yesterday for $20. I am hoping to stock up before the marina on Nipissing opens up at the end of May. I will be out tonight picking. When I was young I used to bend over while picking worms, now I am on all fours with a head light. My back isn't what it used to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lukasaurus said:

I picked up a bar fridge yesterday for $20. I am hoping to stock up before the marina on Nipissing opens up at the end of May. I will be out tonight picking. When I was young I used to bend over while picking worms, now I am on all fours with a head light. My back isn't what it used to be.

I laugh cuz I feel yer pain . Same boat.  LOL

• Like 1

I made small fortune selling dew worms. Dad thought it was crazy Idea we lived on HWy 2 west of Whitby. Started out at 1 cent a worm then up price to 2 cents, I got nice french fry box for worms.

Most where repeat customers if I wasn't home they got there Worms and left money in door I'd have $5- 10 some days. 1967 my dad was driving truck for $95 a week. Bought my parents a frig and later a stand up freezer. Think everybody in family had it at some time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KraTToR said:

My dealer has a good supply and they are especially big this spring.  He did state that due to the pandemic, stocks are low and prices will climb. 

Gawd I hate bending over tho..

I bought a ton of beautiful crawlers in Amherstburg last week, they had coolers full.  Cheap like Borscht too.  Let’s hope that remains the same.

The commercial people raise African red worms they are a lot more hardy. They are more pointed and red than dew worms.

Don't know any golf course picking anymore.

I ran my worm bis 2-3 years. Made fortunes and even loan sharked my parents friends I never liked them so interest was atrocious.

I picked on bus in Columbus for couple weeks even young maybe 15-16 tough way to make money. The bus stopped across the road from our house so easy.

Can't remember last time I used worms.

52 minutes ago, Garnet said:

The commercial people raise African red worms they are a lot more hardy. They are more pointed and red than dew worms.

I remember way back getting these worms I think. They did not need to be refrigerated . Kept in a warm place. I put the ones I had on top of some ducting. They were gone when I grabbed the box 2 days later. Think it was hotter then warm. They evaporated . LOL