How long did it take you to learn to fish?

b_cdot

17 minutes ago, lew said:

Thanks Bud, lotsa great memories in this old brain of mine.

I am going to have to take a trip up to the parent when this is all over and go through all the pics they have. I am sure there are some old great ones . Pop had a lot of those old movie reels of us, but they were destroyed by water damage. I still remember watching them as a young,n .  They remind me now of watching a Chaplin movie. LMAO

Ah look, a memory .:canadian:

Edited by misfish

Scott, at one time like 87 - 88 E&E bait on hwy 69 had a picture of a walleye that was said to be 16#, it looked big enough to be believed to me, from the river. Dad had this thing for opening day of walleye season there, and there were a couple of guys from southern Ohio that were usually there when he was, they seemed to regularly get 10+ eyes.

8 minutes ago, misfish said:

Pop had a lot of those old movie reels of us, but they were destroyed by water damage. 

Ah look, a memory .:canadian:

My folks had a movie camera back in the day too Brian with 100's of feet of movies going back to the mid-50's. Years ago they had them all put together on big spools then a few years back my daughter had them all put on CD's and gave them to me as a gift.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BillM said:

Maybe one day after all this is over we can go slam some smallies.    Those topwater bites are like nothing else.

either that or you can teach me about fishing laketrout salmon and browns! Or heck, even both! A trip out is long overdue!

Edited by AKRISONER

Interesting topic.   I was also blessed to be introduced at a young age my dad loved fishing, but wasnent till my teens when  my new uncle Wayne   taught me to think like a fish when it reallly clicked,    36 now.  I used to fish 100 days a year now I'm lucky to get 20-30 yet never stop learning.   I do feel like our boat will out fish most others on most days, and dont think its dumb luck.   

If your a newer fisherman  I would focus  learning on a few things.   BAIT, Wind direction, and water temp. Also keep a journal write crap down.  There are no coincidences.   

I have a few water bodies I'vs fished over the years where I have struggled at first..Nipigon comes to mind. Struggle for a few days then you get one fish with a certain wind  in a certain place . Then you get another... then you can replicate all over the lake and turn a 5-10 fish day into a 50 fish day.    Another big thing I payatention to is cadance of my presentation.    Lastly theres always "a spot" on "the spot"   

I'm gonna go read some old notes tomorow to see what I've forgotten.

FB_IMG_1587702605117.jpg

Edited by Freshtrax

Like most I started young.  My parents and grandparents were outdoors people.  My grandfather in particular was a huge fisherman and he took my brother, cousins and I all the time.  Similar to most I would consider myself still in learning mode.  Whether it's a new lake, new technique or a new species each time out seems to teach this old dog new tricks.  One of the main reasons I think I love fishing so much is that it is always changing and that keeps me engaged and excited for every trip

Great thread 

Cheers

Andrew 

To the OP …... sorry for your loss.to bad you didn't get a chance to fish more with your old man.

Love reading everyone's stories. 

My story is similar to everyone else's. Started very young with my dad. cut my teeth a child on Pigeon Lake family friends cottage fishing walleye, smallmouth and the odd incidental musky and a rental cottage on BOQ in the early 80's fishing pike and eyes. I also vividly remember cottage rentals on the French river.

The old man soon bought a large boat and docked it on Simcoe for a few years trolling Lakers and live bait fishing crawfish for smallmouth.  I still remember the looks on the tournament guys faces  when we put a beating on them at Duclos point. One of them may have been Dave Chong lol

The big boat got moved to Port Whitby for a few years and the old man got hit with the Salmon bug. I still remember going to Gagnon sports when they were on Simcoe street south to pick up our first set of downriggers.Trolling was fun for a few years but when I turned 15 it was getting harder and harder for my dad to wake me up in the morning. Chasing girls and partying took front stage for a number of years and the old man sold the boat and downsized.

This ended up being a blessing. The riggers came with us and the smaller boat opened up so many opportunities for us to explore all kinds of water.My dad was always cool with lending me the boat and truck and it was pretty much every weekend exploring the Kawarthas and beyond. Figuring out new bites, new lakes is what always kept things interesting for me. soon after I bought my own boat and had been fishing steady for almost all my life. passing on the passion to my son now is the agenda as he is looking forward to trout and bass opener every year. I hope I am creating fond memories for him and someday he can tell his story on here about how his old man was the best fisherman ever lol about 43 years and still learning !

On 4/22/2020 at 5:49 PM, misfish said:

WOW Lew, great pic. :good:

Yes I agree. I fished once when I was around 7 or 8. The next time I picked up a rod I was 23 at my future ex wife's family cottage on Nipissing. I am left handed and had to use a spinning reel upside down. Then I learned that the handle can be switched to the other side. They must have had a good laff. I've been fishing ever since and am about 1/4 of the way to knowing everything there is about fishing, maybe 1/3rd. 

Fishing is a lot like crime. You can't start late in life or learn it in a classroom. The late part maybe but I wouldn't wait too long.