Grand Bend Walleye

Hi All,

Just moved to Grand Bend on Lake Huron. Live close to the beach and have been thinking of getting a kayak for beach access fishing/launching. I enjoy walleye fishing and am wondering if anyone knows if there are walleye in the area? Navionics makes it seem pretty likely but just wanted to check to see if there are any Grand Bend guys on here!

TIA

James

Thanks for the input!

I feel safe within a KM of shore. Growing up around the area I know there're enough calm days to make it work. I won't be heading out there with any kind of significant swells. There are enough ponds/rivers around to explore during that time.

I'm assuming I'll find walleye out there morning/evening around 15-25ft. Throw a jig and minnow down there or troll for a bit and see what happens. 

Thanks all,

James

Grand Bend isn't a hot spot for walleye but some are caught in much deeper water. But not a spot if your looking for high numbers of walleye.

They may be suspended.

Can you catch them closer to shore? Sure but they won't be plentiful.

The river at Grand Bend isn't known for a large run of walleye.

3 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

Grand Bend isn't a hot spot for walleye but some are caught in much deeper water. But not a spot if your looking for high numbers of walleye.

They may be suspended.

Can you catch them closer to shore? Sure but they won't be plentiful.

The river at Grand Bend isn't known for a large run of walleye.

Thanks Woodsman. Maybe not worth the investment for a decent Kayak then. 

Appreciate the responses!

On 4/21/2020 at 10:01 PM, NSFishingHalifax said:

Hi All,

Just moved to Grand Bend on Lake Huron. Live close to the beach and have been thinking of getting a kayak for beach access fishing/launching. I enjoy walleye fishing and am wondering if anyone knows if there are walleye in the area? Navionics makes it seem pretty likely but just wanted to check to see if there are any Grand Bend guys on here!

TIA

James

You may find a few closer to shore on the south side of Kettle Point Reef this time of year as it looks like viable spawning grounds (not sure of the regs on Huron) but typically in the great lakes, Walleye are pelagic which means they school, suspend (above the thermocline) and hunt for baitfish.  During the summer months this means that they are out deep, typically in 60 FOW and up (90ft in august).  Therefore, not really YAK fishing as as we experience prevailing westerly winds, you could find yourself in deep trouble if the wind picks up.

If you want some real near-shore excitement, Salmon and trout are typically in 35 FOW or less this time of year :) and I bet kettle point has some great pike and bass fishing.

27 minutes ago, KraTToR said:

You may find a few closer to shore on the south side of Kettle Point Reef this time of year as it looks like viable spawning grounds (not sure of the regs on Huron) but typically in the great lakes, Walleye are pelagic which means they school, suspend (above the thermocline) and hunt for baitfish.  During the summer months this means that they are out deep, typically in 60 FOW and up (90ft in august).  Therefore, not really YAK fishing as as we experience prevailing westerly winds, you could find yourself in deep trouble if the wind picks up.

If you want some real near-shore excitement, Salmon and trout are typically in 35 FOW or less this time of year :) and I bet kettle point has some great pike and bass fishing.

30 minutes ago, CRUD150 said:

I would suggest you try from Port Franks 15 min. south of the Bend. Troll the cut on rough days and on calmer days you can venture out a bit to the shoals on the lake. You will find them with some work. Cheers.

Thanks fellas. Appreciate the insight!