BOQ Crappie

KraTToR

Cabin fever has definitely set in so I'm planning on getting out in the Bay of Quinte for some spring Crappie fishing to hold me over until the walleye opener.

Its been decades since I targeted this species so I was wondering if you would mind sharing some tips relating to the area and time of year.

16 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

He wants to know how far his drive will be to go crappie fishing with you. We all saw your boat. 😁

If he comes to Barrie when all this crap is done,I,ll guide and show him all the good spots . Well, a few of them anyways . That is a sweet ride he has.

slip float with a wooly bugger jig/fly, I have used one with a white body and a pink head, during the spawn find them in 2-3 feet of water in small back bays that have some weed growth. I have fished them in the Kawarthas using these methods. Also fish around cattails or  bullrush with your slip float . good luck out there and stay safe

3 hours ago, KraTToR said:

Cabin fever has definitely set in so I'm planning on getting out in the Bay of Quinte for some spring Crappie fishing to hold me over until the walleye opener.

Its been decades since I targeted this species so I was wondering if you would mind sharing some tips relating to the area and time of year.

There's a lake just South of where we are in Arden that has both decent numbers and size and I think I might finally give it a go. Long way off but the Mon Tues forecast looks cherry

2 hours ago, mikeh said:

slip float with a wooly bugger jig/fly, I have used one with a white body and a pink head, during the spawn find them in 2-3 feet of water in small back bays that have some weed growth. I have fished them in the Kawarthas using these methods. Also fish around cattails or  bullrush with your slip float . good luck out there and stay safe

HI Mike, long time eh?  Thanks for the tips. 

7 hours ago, KraTToR said:

I'm in Belle - Vegas during the week, then back home to KW for the weekends.  Why?

I was just wondering why you’d go all the way to BOQ when there was better crappie much closer, that’s all.  I thought you where from SW ont, but it all makes sense now!  Have fun.

7 hours ago, porkpie said:

I was just wondering why you’d go all the way to BOQ when there was better crappie much closer, that’s all.  I thought you where from SW ont, but it all makes sense now!  Have fun.

Yes, unfortunately much of the business I do takes me away from home.  BOQ is not my favourite fishing spot  but I do ok there in May.  I figured that there should be a few slabs out there for the taking in some of those back bays where the water is warming up.  I really wanted to get out on Percy's Reach as the Pike season is open there all year but the launch is closed :(

Buggernutz.

Well just speaking from my personal experience from two days ago on g bay, the craps aren’t anywhere near shallow yet. They are continuing to stage up out in front of their shallow spawning areas. Water is damn cold and aint getting any warmer with these -12???? Overnight temperatures and fresh snow on the ground every morning. Was 41 degrees on the graph on Sunday. so cold the fish were getting stunned when I brought em in. The small ones took a moment to revive even when lip hooked. May as well put the ice back on lol. Quinte May warm up a bit earlier than g bay, but I wouldn’t expect any craps to be even close to up shallow yet.

i like the idea of the wooly bugger under the float. I was getting them this past weekend on a small buckshot in firetiger tipped with a minnow head. But I was fishing a float in 30 fow letting the waves do the jiggin and me focusing on just keeping my line managed in the damn 40kmh+ winds we’ve been having every single day.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Well just speaking from my personal experience from two days ago on g bay, the craps aren’t anywhere near shallow yet. They are continuing to stage up out in front of their shallow spawning areas. Water is damn cold and aint getting any warmer with these -12???? Overnight temperatures and fresh snow on the ground every morning. Was 41 degrees on the graph on Sunday. so cold the fish were getting stunned when I brought em in. The small ones took a moment to revive even when lip hooked. May as well put the ice back on lol. Quinte May warm up a bit earlier than g bay, but I wouldn’t expect any craps to be even close to up shallow yet.

i like the idea of the wooly bugger under the float. I was getting them this past weekend on a small buckshot in firetiger tipped with a minnow head. But I was fishing a float in 30 fow letting the waves do the jiggin and me focusing on just keeping my line managed in the damn 40kmh+ winds we’ve been having every single day.

Yea, lots of wind here yesterday and -2 this morning.  That damn March warm spell we seem to get every year now fooled me again!  Anyways, Friday and Saturday look great to at least get the boat wet and check some water temps..

• Like 1

I have access to a private ramp and from what I understand, these waters hold big craps... Its just finding them. Mine you, as all year classes seem to stick together, if I can find 1, I'll have enough for dinner :)

• Like 1

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1307335&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-1307335&WT.z_pg_ref=prd702344

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/mister-twister-sassy-shad

1/8th ounce with a 2 1/2 sassy shad, a lot of different species will hit them though, and the toothy ones bite them off a lot.