Say No To Fishing

FishFishing

12 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

what’s strange to me is that fishing regulations have no problem applying wildly different rules for various bodies of water and species but the fishing debate is somehow singular all or nothing?

Exactly right. Target the problem areas, leave the rest of us alone.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lickmyarmpit said:

So jealous man we're getting close to the in between stage.  Still safe ice in certain areas but it's leaving quick. So glad there's 500 lakes within a half hour drive and I bet I wouldn't see another soul on 499 of them. 

Only boats I saw were contractors heading in after their day at work. Construction guys haven’t slowed down during this thing.

I can see both sides.  It's a good point about reducing traffic, thereby reducing accidents.  On the other hand, BC's provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry recommends getting outside as a way get through this because it supports physical and mental health.  I was out yesterday at an isolated river location.  Felt great to be outdoors for a day and I didn't break any social distancing rules.  The Humber river multi-use trail near my place is steady with people.  On the weekends it can be challenge to maintain 2 metres.  

Not sure Canada dodged a bullet.  Majority of US cases are in NYC/NJ area, whose total population is bigger than a lot of Countries.  Compare the stats of US population to Canada.  In my State of Ohio, population of 12 million, our numbers are very low and we still allow fishing and golfing, which both are much safer than going to the local crowded parks or Costco/Grocery stores.  We also start opening up on May 1st, slowly, but you can not keep living like this forever, otherwise their will economic collapse.  

Banning fishing is ridiculous, especially Lake fishing.  People just need to make sure they are practicing social distancing and if they are not, like in some rivers, then the locality should shut those down.  

When I fish in Ohio, it is on a bank and there is no one else around.  Virus can’t spread that way.  Same as golfing, my course has a lot less people than a park and you don’t touch anything except your club.  

No need for such extreme rules and Ohio is proof of that as are other States.   If people are that paranoid, then stay in your house, but don’t let your paranoia ruin it for others that are practicing safe social distancing.    Crazy - you can’t keep living in fear.

I look at Sweden and some other Countries too and they have some of the least stringent rules and are surviving still without closing anything.

I still urge people to minimize their travel and exposure to people, and to take this virus very seriously. IF we dodge the bullet that is hitting the US and other countries right now I think it will be because of the degree that we were compliant with all recommendations. In fairness though there's nothing in your comment I can really disagree with. The law is the law. Some will do more than the min and some won't and it's hard to call anyone wrong if they haven't broken the law.

I have been out of my house twice in the last two weeks, but I will be fishing trout opener, alone. I can hear the laughing now 😂 I will actually be alone because I have a trout creek in my actual backyard, and another good spot a 10 minute walk. In 5 years fishing them I've never seen another angler.

I do think Akri is right about the shoot show at places like the Ganny. Based on what I've seen there in the past I can't imagine that lot can behave themselves and they just might wreck it for the rest of us.

Edited by GregF2
  • Like 2

So COVID-19 is a bullet and is hitting every country differently. We are faring reasonably well so far hence the expression "dodged a bullet so far" which fits fine for me.

Fishing isn't banned here and I'm not paranoid. I simply said I was fishing locally where there will be no other anglers.  If you're from Ohio you have really have no idea about the Ganny. Fishing shoulder  to shoulder is not an exaggeration.

I do though.  My family and I have been fishing in the Rice Lake for over 50 years, multiple times a year and over Canadian Thanksgiving too.  Also, other areas of Canada, like Kesagami, skiing out west, etc....   Love the Ganny and love Canada!  I always feel it is my second Country and always brag about Canada to everyone, since we travel their so much!!  :)   

Hate seeing those people fishing shoulder to shoulder snagging fish and that is what I am talking about.  Your local municipality could ban fishing their then, so those are the people that would usually abuse it.  They did it in some of our rivers this spring.

I didn't see to much wrong with the article, written by someone who makes his living fishing. There are plenty of fishing related things we can do without endangering anyones health, take me for instance. ..last week i changed the line on all 34 of my reels 3 times, rewired my boat twice and sharpened the hooks on all 9342 of my crankbaits. 

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Haha 4

I was hoping they would close the season. My daughter works in the emergency ward of our small hospital and they had a guy who lives 2 hours away come in with a dislocated shoulder. He has slipped on a rock while fishing. This needlessly exposes our front line people to possible carriers. And I know some will say you can slip in your shower but at least you are local. We don't need people coming into town just to go fishing. I have a boat sitting in the driveway I can't use and I'm content to do that till this is over. Just my opinion.

The blog was an attempt to do my part in helping us rid ourselves of this scourge called COVID-19. With the upcoming opening of trout season (April 25th) in most parts of Ontario, I thought we as anglers should be proactive and postpone the opening until we have a better handle on when we can resume some sort of normality.

LISTEN TO ANGELO’S RADIO RESPONSE HERE

Our biggest concern was spreading the virus on opening night along the many tributaries that dump into our Great Lakes. Those of us not in denial all know the sh&$?t show that is opening of trout season in southern Ontario on the banks of the Ganny, Wilmot, and Credit to name a few. I thought that giving up fishing for a few more days or even weeks would be a small price to pay considering what we have all given up already.

Due to the reluctance of the government to suspend the trout opener, I thought the unselfish act from the angling community would be greatly appreciated by the folks who have lost family members, lost jobs, lost businesses, and have put their lives on the line every day as first responders.

Evidently, I thought wrong, and for that, I must apologize. I apologize to the good people who were exposed to the garbage and vile behavior of the handful of keyboard warriors that saw fit to violate the Fish’n Canada digital properties last Wednesday.

I apologize to the advertisers and supporters of the Fish’n Canada brand who were bombarded by these misguided souls at a time when our sponsors have far more pressing concerns, like the welfare of their employees and families.

But most importantly I apologize to those of you who were led to believe that the Fish’n Canadashow has now somehow become anti-fishing.

To those people I say please read the blog again, I may be guilty of a lot of things but turning my back on fishing and the Fish’n Canada audience is not one of them.

Calling people that would not be willing to give up the trout opener, whiny, sniveling little brats, I admit may have been a little excessive. Not considering that the folks from remote parts of the province, where little to no fishing pressure is present, can, in fact, go fishing without violating the pandemic protocols.

To all of you that fall into these categories, my most sincere and heartfelt apologies.

Finally, to the keyboard Warriors (and I now know who you are) that started all of this I only ask that you reflect on your actions of last week and know that although we may not always agree with each other’s views and opinions we do have a commonality that bonds us, the love of the outdoors and the passion to fish, let us not tarnish those great qualities. If you are venturing out on Trout Opening, be safe and enjoy!

Thank you and be safe out there.

On 4/17/2020 at 10:31 PM, AKRISONER said:

No meat shortage here today. Felt good to cast again.

buckshot tipped with a minnow head under a float. They are still deep and staging. Caught close to 20 perch too but we don’t get those simcoe giants.

0719-F40-A-8-C67-4-ACE-9-CB8-52-A9-F84-F

700-A391-D-BB9-F-4440-86-C4-53-FC2-D75-C

I can remember going to Lake X with dad about 50 years ago and catch a pile of them off his friends dock in early May.  I learned how to clean fish pretty quick.

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

Of course, this is an indicator of nothing. 

I think in a way that it is with NYC being the epicenter in the US.  It does show that with common sense things can be opened up and the entire state is not a one size fits all.

Look at Michigan.  They have a problem with the Detroit area but impose the most draconian rules in the country on the entire state.  The UP ain't Detroit.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Crimsongulf said:

I think in a way that it is with NYC being the epicenter in the US.  It does show that with common sense things can be opened up and the entire state is not a one size fits all.

Look at Michigan.  They have a problem with the Detroit area but impose the most draconian rules in the country on the entire state.  The UP ain't Detroit.

Can be opened up and should be opened up are significantly different. I have to question the logic when the top 1 & 2 US States with approximately 350,000 of the total US 802,000 Covid cases are increasing access to public contact. More than half of all Covid deaths in the US are in NY and NJ alone.

I’m no health expert but following the models used in countries and areas that have already worked seems like a sensible idea.

I commented because your statement contained so little info, other than they are opening access, I found it ambiguous and misleading. Personally I’m far from convinced it is a good decision. It’s becoming more about succumbing to public pressure than body count. 

31 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Can be opened up and should be opened up are significantly different. I have to question the logic when the top 1 & 2 US States with approximately 350,000 of the total US 802,000 Covid cases are increasing access to public contact. More than half of all Covid deaths in the US are in NY and NJ alone.

I’m no health expert but following the models used in countries and areas that have already worked seems like a sensible idea.

I commented because your statement contained so little info, other than they are opening access, I found it ambiguous and misleading. Personally I’m far from convinced it is a good decision. It’s becoming more about succumbing to public pressure than body count. 

The flip side is that the fishing isn't very good in Manhattan.  The problem to me is the one size fits all.

I will admit that I have never been good with following "rules" that defy common sense.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Crimsongulf said:

The flip side is that the fishing isn't very good in Manhattan.  The problem to me is the one size fits all.

I will admit that I have never been good with following "rules" that defy common sense.

If leaders do too much OR too little they will be criticized. So we have to ask, which side of wrong should they risk being on?? I can’t see how taking time to carefully divide up States so some people can go fishing is a good use of resources. Considering people travel it’s also futile. I do find it interesting though that people seem more outraged over restrictions than concerned about the 45,000 dead people. I’m saying you are, but the rallies would indicate it. 

26 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

If leaders do too much OR too little they will be criticized. So we have to ask, which side of wrong should they risk being on?? I can’t see how taking time to carefully divide up States so some people can go fishing is a good use of resources. Considering people travel it’s also futile. I do find it interesting though that people seem more outraged over restrictions than concerned about the 45,000 dead people. I’m saying you are, but the rallies would indicate it. 

Rather than looking at a raw number (45,000) I try to look at things in context.  There is approx. 330M population in the US.

I have found this to be the most agenda free actual facts site.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It just gives you data and demographics, not a talking head interpretation of what is going on.

Edited by Crimsongulf