Wuhan Honda back to production

5 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Too soon? I don't know I missed a few medical classes in Epidemiology studies. I saw on TV that the Covid outbreak in NY is traced back to Europe not China. 

The outbreaks everywhere outside of Wuhan is through travel, mostly air!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

The outbreaks everywhere outside of Wuhan is through travel, mostly air!

Of course John. I imagine that Europe was the route it travelled through last into NY City. East to West. How that matters is most certainly not clear to me but I'm sure there is a significance for the Epidemiologists studying the virus.

We have a Honda plant in Alabama, they make Pilots and Odysseys.  Be damned glad when they are back rolling.

We also have a Mercedes, Hyundai, Toyota and a Mazda plant.  All are shut down.  When they are shut down, all of there suppliers are shut down.

At some point, things have to get back in production.

We can't wait until there is zero chance of another case. If we do the economy of the states and Canada will take years to recover.

Sometimes you have to get realistic.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, misfish said:

We supply plants in Alabama. Also here direct to tier 2 which supply to tier ones . We need them to start up so I can get back to work .

The other thing to remember is that governments from local on up are getting very few tax dollars coming in.

Sooner or later money will dry up if we don't get back to business.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

We have a Honda plant in Alabama, they make Pilots and Odysseys.  Be damned glad when they are back rolling.

We also have a Mercedes, Hyundai, Toyota and a Mazda plant.  All are shut down.  When they are shut down, all of there suppliers are shut down.

At some point, things have to get back in production.

We can't wait until there is zero chance of another case. If we do the economy of the states and Canada will take years to recover.

Sometimes you have to get realistic.

This is a global crisis though, I'm guessing there isn't many people buying new cars lately because they're preoccupied and maybe suffering with what's going on, so unless they have a backlog of solid orders, I doubt there's a rush to get back to production

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a recession from the many personal and company bankruptcies due to this china virus

I don't think there's a demand for new cars right now

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

This is a global crisis though, I'm guessing there isn't many people buying new cars lately because they're preoccupied and maybe suffering with what's going on, so unless they have a backlog of solid orders, I doubt there's a rush to get back to production

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a recession from the many personal and company bankruptcies due to this china virus

I don't think there's a demand for new cars right now

Of course there is no demand for new cars now because to many people have little or no income.  When you shutter 80% of an economy the demand for most everything goes down.

Well except toilet paper.

• Like 1

Well, my gas milage was good but now I am getting about 4 weeks to the gallon.

I have a feeling it's going to take a lot of years to get back to what we considered normal. (If we ever do)  All these billions of dollars being poured into aid packages are going to have to be recovered somehow, can you say higher taxes? Higher taxes = less money in our pockets, we still have to have food and shelter so things like new cars are going to be the last thing people will be spending money on. I am sorry to say but I don't think the effects of this pandemic are going to last months or even years, I think it's going to change our entire way of life.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Well, my gas milage was good but now I am getting about 4 weeks to the gallon.

The last time I actually had to fill up the vehicle, gas was $1.12.  I haven’t been able to buy at the $0.77 price because the tank has remained close to full since there’s no place to go other than the store once a week.I also filled a couple of jerry cans back at $0.96 thinking we’d never ever see such low prices.

Back then, that seemed to matter, but now the gas price seems so unimportant. A lot of things we used to be concerned about seem trivial now.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 10:10 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Of course John. I imagine that Europe was the route it travelled through last into NY City. East to West. How that matters is most certainly not clear to me but I'm sure there is a significance for the Epidemiologists studying the virus.

Well New York city is one of the financial and trading capitals of the world, New York stock exchange? People coming in from all over the world to do business or for travel, it makes sense it would be a hot spot? Probably the largest mass transit system in the USA?

• Like 2

Now it's 24 hour per day 7 days a week giving us the same information over and over again. The reports of the 25 that lost their lives in southern hurricanes on the weekend took up a few minutes only on CNN. Alabama I think. I hope Chrismon Tide is OK.I guess hurricanes don't rate compared to this thing. I see on my Bell Satellite TV system there are new channels dedicated to this thing we are dealing with. The stats for those infected and those that have died world wide and in the US and Canada depending on the home base of the channel  are like a score board for a sports game. It really reminds me when I was a kid and the evening news networks posted the numbers of North Vietnamese that were killed in the last 24 hours and how many American soldiers lost their lives. We know now the numbers were all wrong, we didn't back in 1969. Occasionally they post the number that have gotten through the virus and lived. That's the important number to me anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Now it's 24 hour per day 7 days a week giving us the same information over and over again. The reports of the 25 that lost their lives in southern hurricanes on the weekend took up a few minutes only on CNN. Alabama I think. I hope Chrismon Tide is OK.I guess hurricanes don't rate compared to this thing. I see on my Bell Satellite TV system there are new channels dedicated to this thing we are dealing with. The stats for those infected and those that have died world wide and in the US and Canada depending on the home base of the channel  are like a score board for a sports game. It really reminds me when I was a kid and the evening news networks posted the numbers of North Vietnamese that were killed in the last 24 hours and how many American soldiers lost their lives. We know now the numbers were all wrong, we didn't back in 1969. Occasionally they post the number that have gotten through the virus and lived. That's the important number to me anyway. 

We are fine, they were tornadoes not Hurricanes.  We are about to enter into Hurricane season though.

NOAA says it is going to be a strong season, but of course NOAA hasn't been right in 20 years.

32 minutes ago, Crimsongulf said:

We are fine, they were tornadoes not Hurricanes.  We are about to enter into Hurricane season though.

NOAA says it is going to be a strong season, but of course NOAA hasn't been right in 20 years.

I'm glad you are OK CG. Gulf not Tide, sorry. I was so upset typing because 25 deaths don't even get their own report today that I wrote hurricane not tornado. I got that news from that running banner at the bottom of the screen on CNN.  Even in my local paper, we still get one believe it or not, once a week only. Anyway an attempted  murder, a 711 robbery and a home invasion for a county  of 60,000 didn't get 2 paragraphs ,the rest was guess what? A few months ago they had  the entire front page because someone horked old Farmer McMurphy's 8 N tractor and his guard dog. Try  walking around in a bandana at the end of last year. It's the new normal today. It takes everything in my power not to say "Stick em' up." to my bank teller lady last week. 

The weatherman, the only occupation that you don't get fired for getting it wrong more than 1/2 the time. 

Horked definition: Hamiltonian for stolen. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 minutes ago, Crimsongulf said:

Glad you gave me that definition.  I thought you meant to say honked. so I was trying to figure out how you honked a Ford 8N.

J/K

J/K. yep there are a few Hamilton phrases no one outside the city knew. If we were in Toronto and one of us said, "The guy was flying like 90" someone from TO would turn to us and say "You guys are from Hamilton." Then they kept their distance. Hamilton was referred to as the Canadian Pittsburg with all our Steel Mills and all the tough Steelworkers. Like 90 meant someone was doing something fast or with conviction as in 90 MPH. As in "He ate it like 90, she shrugged him off like 90, his Mom gave him Hell like 90." Scarfed is another one. As in eating fast, "He scarfed it down like 90." That may be a bit more common. Some steelworkers were "Scarfers." They gouged out flaws in steel slabs using burning torches and on peace work the more they scarfed the more they earned. 

JD. 

5 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

" A sign in the factory said the goal was to make 1,237 cars that day. That is 17 percent higher than its usual target of 1,060 cars. "

I have been in assembly plants here, i would have trouble believing that any of them were knocking out those kind of numbers.

Yep, 20th century American and Canadian business goal, production, production and above all more production, no matter the cost. It took us a while to catch up to Japanese business philosophies and for all our post WW2 era managers to retire that were all production driven. Managers bonuses were based on output only so therein lay the problem. Also their salaries were based on the numbers of employees they were responsible for so we had thousands of workers told by their front line supervisors to hide for the duration of their shifts. That's what I found when I joined the workforce in 73' at 19 years old. Rather than to make 100 widgets then scrap 20 make 80 quality widgets and only if they are pre sold. At our plant  mid to late 90's we had a few hundred acres of finished coils sitting there rusting. Then slit them all and charge them back into The Steelmaking vessels as scrap. No wonder companies Too Big to Fail filed for bankruptcy protection. So what I am trying to say Paul it doesn't matter any more how many cars are pushed out of the lines everyday, it's about the quality of cars made and hopefully with buyers waiting for them. 

The old economic formula in business was COST PLUS PROFIT=PRICE. Today it's PRICE MINUS COST= PROFIT OR LOSS. 

• Like 1