Is kayak fishing the next big thing?

GBW

8 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I get it for the cost savings, but then I see guys install like $3,000 worth of features on a $2,000+ kayak and I’m like...I literally own a bass boat for not much more than that 🤷🏽‍♂️

"why do you need a $2,000 camera when you can take pictures with a iphone?"

"Why do you ride a $3,000 Miele bicycle when you could get a CCM for $250?"

"Why do you have a $500 golf driver doesn't walmart sell golf clubs?"

If you're not an enthusiast about something, you will likely not understand.  It's not about the money. You could give me a $50,000 boat and I'd still choose the kayak every Saturday morning.

Edited by Dutch01
  • Like 1

Believe it or not I'm serious!

I had a great boat, 16' side console with a 40 Merc and a Terrova on the front. It just sat and collected dust once I fell for kayak fishing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

It's one of those things, you either love it or you don't like it. Those that love it are almost all die-hards, there's got to be a reason for that right?

For me, it was about slowing down, simplifying, and focusing on the experience. It's also a lifestyle. I don't just fish from it, I do paddle (now pedal) in camping trips too.

It's also great exercise. I lost 55 pounds in the last few years.  I made other major lifestyle changes so kayaking doesn't get all the credit but paddling is fantastic for your core.

• Like 1

I am being lazy and not going all the way back and reading every comment but as a new kayak owner here is my perspective

I bought a kayak at the end of the summer.  I have access to cottages with nice boats but work, life, family etc allows me to get there 2 or 3 times a summer and I was not getting my fill of fishing,  Enter the kayak

I love it - to date I have spent about $1200 on the package including a way to load it in my pick up (5.5 box)

It has allowed me to spend some time fishing locally, do some day trips and I will most likely bring it to cottages and camping whenever that happens again.

I don't think it will replace boats or will be for everyone but I do believe it certain parts of the US and Canada it has really taken off - cheaper jump in point, better for accessing certain spots and for some a better connection to water/nature

Cheers

Gody

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

"why do you need a $2,000 camera when you can take pictures with a iphone?"

"Why do you ride a $3,000 Miele bicycle when you could get a CCM for $250?"

"Why do you have a $500 golf driver doesn't walmart sell golf clubs?"

If you're not an enthusiast about something, you will likely not understand.  It's not about the money. You could give me a $50,000 boat and I'd still choose the kayak every Saturday morning.

Sort of agree---you can do things with a bass boat that I cannot do with my canoe by the converse also applies. Years ago I used to drool with envy with the fancy boats being towed on the highway---not any more.When my bud and I were hammering the fish on a back lake in my canoe that drooling stopped for good!

• Like 1

My analogy isn't perfect either because a $500 pelican or $1000 Jackson Bite will put you on fish, so you don't have to spend big to kayak fish.

The point was that's it's not about dollars at all for me. I have the very tool I want, for what I want to do. It happens to be expensive to some, I paid $2,600 lightly used, but I never considered the money.

1 hour ago, Dutch01 said:

Believe it or not I'm serious!

Oh I get it. I really like my toon . I like the comfort of it, the easy access to spots . No gas to buy . Now if I could just get the thing to stop getting leaks in the bladders . Some were my fault the way I had it stored and getting bounced around, but there are the ones where the seams leak . Not sure what that is all about, but no warranty, so deal with it for now. Looking for a more rugged one .

Edited by misfish

2 minutes ago, misfish said:

Oh I get it. I really like my toon . I like the comfort of it, the easy access to spots . No gas to buy . Now if I could just get the thing to stop getting leaks in the bladders . Some were my fault the way I had it stored and getting bounced around, but there are the ones where the seams leak . Not sure what that is all about, but no warranty, so deal with it for now. Looking for a more rugged one .

Can you use a internal bladder like an inner tube on a bike tire?

I am in a prize draw for this one.  The Catch 120 by Pelican.  https://www.pelicansport.com/ca_en/the-catch-120-krp12p208

I really hope I win it to take it to the river when I move in 20 some odd days.  Dutch thanks for the chat yesterday as I totally see your aspect to using one, hence why I am trying for one in the online raffle.  

I already have my rods and my Hummingbird Helix 5 so my added costs to rig it won't be crazy.  

Even if I don't win this one, I might rent one (when we can) and see if it's for me and if so buy this unit if it's stable seeing how I have vertigo issues every now and then... 

*edit to add* PS the raffle is only $40 a spot and there is only 37 spots to buy so wish me luck!

Edited by GBW
  • Like 1

No worries G, happy to share  my enthusiasm.

Good luck in the raffle. The Catch 120 is a great kayak I'm sure you would be happy with it. I haven't paddled it but from what I understand is very stable. It's decently light too because it's thermoformed (most fishing kayaks are rotomolded).

Pretty sure you can rent one from Freedom Kayak in Blackstock if you want to try one out.

Edited by Dutch01

3 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

It's not about the money. You could give me a $50,000 boat and I'd still choose the kayak every Saturday morning.

Why?

Actually, on 2nd thought, i dont care, so need to respond. To each his own i guess, but to me they dont seem to make much sense. If you want to slow down or keep it simple, a 12' tinner and electric motor would be a better choice. Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Edited by big guy

A 12' thinner is loud compared to my kayak.

-An electric motor is loud.

-The boat itself is loud.

-tin boats are not known for comfortable bench seats. My Hobie seat has built in adjustable lumbar support.

-a tin boat uses gas or a heavy battery to recharge if using electric

-a tin boat requires registration and insurance (might be covered under home policy depends on insurer)

-requires a trailer and a spot to keep it. I keep my Hobie inside my apartment.

-Kayak needs no launch and I don't have to pay for parking most of the time as most municipal lots that I know only charge if you have a trailer 

-sitting in a tin boat is not the same as sitting inches off the water. I have been through creeks 4" deep to access back lakes

I'm not trying to make anyone sell their boat. I am not a fan of the misconception that people who kayak fish do so cause they can't afford a boat. I can't tell you how many times I hear "why don't you just get a jon boat".  I think that 12' jon boats suck, that's why! Lol (just an opinion not picking on anyone who has one!)

I sold my boat cause the kayak is better (for me and what I want to be doing).

Edited by Dutch01
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, GBW said:

I am in a prize draw for this one.  The Catch 120 by Pelican.  https://www.pelicansport.com/ca_en/the-catch-120-krp12p208

I really hope I win it to take it to the river when I move in 20 some odd days.  Dutch thanks for the chat yesterday as I totally see your aspect to using one, hence why I am trying for one in the online raffle.  

I already have my rods and my Hummingbird Helix 5 so my added costs to rig it won't be crazy.  

Even if I don't win this one, I might rent one (when we can) and see if it's for me and if so buy this unit if it's stable seeing how I have vertigo issues every now and then... 

*edit to add* PS the raffle is only $40 a spot and there is only 37 spots to buy so wish me luck!

Sail had quite a few of the Pelican Kayaks in stock when I was looking - nice boats

My only advice for anyone who is planning on buying a kayak (winning is another story) is to check it out in person and try sitting in it, ideally in the water.  I totally was convinced of the brand and type of kayak I wanted until I did a water test.  I found the seat to be flimsy and uncomfortable and so i went in a different direction

I have fished out of mine for over 5 hours straight w no issues and my back always give me issues lol

• Like 1