Is kayak fishing the next big thing?

GBW

I have had a Kayak for 2 years and I use it more then my bass boat. I spent around $1000 for it. It is comfortable, stable easy to travel and store.  There is nothing more thrilling then catching a fish and have it drag you around in it. I have a Tarpon 120

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BillM said:

I need to stand up to fish.  Sitting down is basically torture.   No kayak for this guy.   This is where a 10ft Jon boat comes in.   

You can stand and fish all day long on the right kayak.

Hell you could dance with a girl on a Hobie PA

29 minutes ago, sofabed said:

I hope so . I ordered in the spring

You ordered a Hobie PA?  12 or 14?  180 or 360 drive?  Don't leave a guy hanging now lol

I'm rocking a 2018 Outback.  My buddy has a PA12 (180) and it is amazing.

1 hour ago, sofabed said:

I have had a Kayak for 2 years and I use it more then my bass boat. I spent around $1000 for it. It is comfortable, stable easy to travel and store.  There is nothing more thrilling then catching a fish and have it drag you around in it. I have a Tarpon 120

Heck, yeah. I've had my canoe upon plane with a big salmon!!

28 minutes ago, sofabed said:

An Outback

Ohh I thought you meant a PA.  The new Outback is just as badass.

Your Tarpon is a lot like my old Pescador (in fact Wilderness Systems gave the old Tarpon molds to Perception if I remember correctly).

You're in for a huge upgrade you're gonna love it.

Edited by Dutch01

16 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

You can stand and fish all day long on the right kayak.

Hell you could dance with a girl on a Hobie PA

For people that like fishing smaller ponds, they make a ton of sense. Sheesh half of the Yankees down south run their bass boats on puddles.

lil different game trying to fish out in the open on the Great Lakes. Lol it can get scary or tough enough to fish on a 20 foot boat some days!

11 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

For people that like fishing smaller ponds, they make a ton of sense. Sheesh half of the Yankees down south run their bass boats on puddles.

lil different game trying to fish out in the open on the Great Lakes. Lol it can get scary or tough enough to fish on a 20 foot boat some days!

I wouldn't have wanted to be on Erie yesterday in any craft!

For sure you have to pick your spots if heading out on big water in a kayak. But guys have been going out into the ocean catching huge fish out of kayaks (Hobie Outbacks) for decades.

1 hour ago, BillM said:

The right Kayak vs a $700 Jon boat, choice is pretty easy here lol

Sure is!

The right kayak = awesome 

$700 Jon boat = 👎

A chacun son gout as the French would say. I would  fish the bank before I'd spend $700 on a jon boat.

Edited by Dutch01

No yak for me, but I admit, it reeeeaaallly ticks me off that I can take a kayak out on any lake I want right now, but i cant launch my boat. Some of these rules are ridiculous, and that is one that i am really sour about. I drove around checking things out yesterday for 3 hours. Not one boat launch accessible to get a boat in the water, however, the 6 kayakers fishing out there are ok? Stupid. These guys are a lot more risk than a guy in a very seaworthy, and stable boat. Not to mention they were all together in a group, and used the same launch I would have used with my boat. I'm sure they all sat around and shot some bull afterwards, and most likely helped each other load their crafts at the end of the day. Whats safer and better for the community?  That, or me taking my wife and kids for a boat ride and maybe catch a couple fish for dinner? And just so you all don't start with the travel thing, and stopping for gas, and coffees and all the rest of that stuff.....I live 15 mins from 8 different boat ramps. I am an essential worker who has to drive to work every day, and keep gas in my truck regardless. Stopping for coffees and take out is the last thing I want to do in these times. I can make better coffee at home and my cupboards are full of great food. I am very aware of whats going on, and diligent in my own safety, and more so the safety of others. 

S. 

I hear ya S and this is part of the reason I asked, is it the next big thing.  My folks live 10 houses away from the boat ramp where they live, not a cottage and they are not able to put the boat in.  Yes they are in cottage country but you get my point.  However anyone with a kayak could walk one down the launch and have at it.  

thehighlander.ca/2020/04/17/townships-keep-boat-launches-open/ Haliburton area municipal launches open according to article

I looked at Algonquin highlands web site my take was using boat launch restricted to boat access permanent residents (who are a minority).  No fishing, paddling boating to cottage.

I have owned my Hobie PA14 since Aug 2014.  It  wasn’t cheap as far as kayaks are concerned but the maintenance cost over 5 years has totaled $12 so far.  No gas, no licensing, no winterizing, no insurance, no maintenance, no anything.  I have owned a fiberglass fishing boat for many years.  It barely moves now (almost sold it but I just can’t seem to part with it).  I enjoy the exercise and find myself more relaxed when fishing from the yak.  I can very easily stand to fish and the seat is comfortable enough that 7-10 hr days are common.  I also used to regularly fish from a canoe...used to.  If offered the chance I wouldn’t turn down fishing from any vessel but given the choice the kayak wins more often than not.  Good luck with the draw.  If you win you will never look back.

• Like 2