Is kayak fishing the next big thing?

GBW

As per the subject, anyone here thinking this may be your next venture in fishing, from a kayak?  These units I have seen can be close to $2000 for the ones you use foot power for but I am thinking I may just dive into this way of fishing.  I haven't ever fished from one to know if I'd like it but I have fished from many a boat and or canoe trip.  And they have easy water access.  Thoughts form others thinking about going this route too?  Yeah I STILL want a boat but this is an idea that I can take small solo trips locally in time.  

*edit to add - I am moving in May and I will be close to a river is why I am thinking this 

Edited by GBW
  • Like 1

They have made tournaments for them on BassMasters? Looking at the prices of boats these days it seems apparent to me they have priced a lot of people out of the market. I have been in canoes, not a fan, and 2k for a yak? Nope.

Not sure what the deal is on these boats, but for 2 k I would be looking.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2462240367215541/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/270462740615022/

I did it, it wasn’t for me.  I have a 14 footer on a trailer with a set of beach wheels for early season and tough to launch locations.  Boat is light enough that I can take the outboard off and drag it down an embankment if I need to fish.

• Like 1

As someone that has fished from every type of watercraft available and an owner of a variety of small watercraft I just don't get the kayak fad. There's better and often cheaper options for most situations. I get the draw of angling from a small craft but find kayaks impractical. 

Josh 

• Like 2

GBW don't listen to these guys kayak fishing is the teats!   (No disrespect guys 🙏)

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but those who like it, love it. I'd also say it's not the next big thing, it's already here. There's a pretty big community of kayak anglers now, I always have someone to fish with if I'm not choosing to go solo.

I have been kayak fishing for three years or so now. After the first year I sold my boat. I'm on my third 'yak, but the one I have now is finally "the one". You can go cheap or go high end, either will put you on fish and it really depends on your budget and where and how you're going to use it. It's always good to try before you buy if you can. Lots of shops have paddle days where you can show up and try a couple different demos but obviously none of that is going on right now due to covid.

Check out Kawartha Kayak Fishing Club on Facebook. We have regular club meets. I can probably wrangle a spare kayak from a buddy for you to try out once we get the all clear on this virus.

Edited by Dutch01
  • Like 2

"Next big thing"? 😆 Kayak fishing has been going strong for more than 10 years. Every imaginable species in pretty much every imaginable water has been caught from a yak. The only time I don't fish from a yak is when I fish from a SUP. Yes, you can lay out $2K for a yak, but you can also find a fishable boat for less than 1/2 that. Any stable SOT can be a good fishing yak. Specialized fishing yaks have evolved in design so that you can easily stand and fish easily. 

Closed boat ramps, meh. Expensive gas, meh. Lakes with no boat ramps, meh. Water too shallow for a motor.......

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

I am getting real itchy but dare not scratch---would be nice to go for some early season splake or lakers.They are out there calling my name!!

What is the white fish population like now ? Was great  early  to mid 80,s along with the splake  .

Edited by misfish

Just now, misfish said:

No stabilizers. Would be a must for me . Just saying.

Depends on the kayak. My old ATAK 120 was so stable I think you would fall off long before you would turtle it. My Hobie is more lively and I haven't tested the limits yet.

12 minutes ago, Joeyd said:

Watch jay Siemens kayak vid and he sums it up pretty good

Not sure if this is the one you mean but it's a good watch. I follow Jay but somehow haven't seen that one. He's using a NuCanoe kayak there looks like a Frontier or a Pursuit. I was going to put that Pronav system on my ATAK before I switched to my Hobie.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, singingdog said:

Only thing worse than being a dough-head, is being a dough-head and putting it on Youtube: no cold water gear, no rod leashes, gear not secured to the boat. Doh!

Why take a yak out in a 45,000 + acre lake when you have a bass boat? Those guys are good, but I question that call, I wouldn't need to make a video that badly.

6 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

Why take a yak out in a 45,000 + acre lake when you have a bass boat? Those guys are good, but I question that call, I wouldn't need to make a video that badly.

I can tell you, from being out in all kinds of water conditons, that you have to be incredibly inattentive or just seriously lacking in skills to flip a modern fishing yak: especially one with a pedal drive like he was using. But, GoPros have a tendency to do that to people.

My son now owns two kayaks. Both are Pelican brand from Canadian Tire. He bought the second one so if his wife, son or a friend wanted to go with him he or she could go also. He spent a lot of time last year in rentals before he decided what kayak model best suited him. He has modified one for fishing. I prefer my boat but I can see why he and others like kayaks.