danD question?

Dan, How long can a car go past it’s due oil change. My jeep is at 30% now. I’m driving very little, but if it goes to 0 how much can I stretch it?

My shop has been closed for a month, A guy like you I have used for 20+ years. 

some guys are probably in the same boat.

Thanks Dan

Well, if it's a Jeep just keep driving it until there's a big puff of smoke, a loud bang, and it stops suddenly. It's going to happen at some point anyway so why spend money on oil changes. 

Just kidding,  cabin feaver is starting to set in. I am sure Dan will have a much better answer and I would trust his advice😊

3 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

Well, if it's a Jeep just keep driving it until there's a big puff of smoke, a loud bang, and it stops suddenly. It's going to happen at some point anyway so why spend money on oil changes. 

Just kidding,  cabin feaver is starting to set in. I am sure Dan will have a much better answer and I would trust his advice😊

Only has 56,000 km after 4 years :(  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

Dan, How long can a car go past it’s due oil change. My jeep is at 30% now. I’m driving very little, but if it goes to 0 how much can I stretch it?

My shop has been closed for a month, A guy like you I have used for 20+ years. 

some guys are probably in the same boat.

Thanks Dan

Oil doesn't magically disintegrate when your oil meter hits zero.  By the looks of it you won't hit the zero before you can get an oil change by any stretch.  Going over the "recommended" change isn't going to cause any catastrophe,  especially if you're running synthetic.

• Like 1

The short answer is as long as you have too. Going over by 3 or 4 thousand every once and a while won't hurt anything. Check the oil level, making sure it's full and you'll be fine. Worst case, if the oil starts to look really dirty; head to a lube shop and get the oil changed. Just tell them you only want an oil & filter change and to screw off with all the up selling.

Dan. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ketchenany said:

Thanks Dan. My guy: the only thing he upsell is, did you bring me a small coffee, black with no sugar?

I think he meant if you have to get the oil changed And can’t wait for your guy ,just go to the nearest lube shop. And don’t let them up sell anything. Cause your air filter and gas filter looks real bad to them 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/9/2020 at 9:24 AM, DanD said:

Just tell them you only want an oil & filter change and to screw off with all the up selling.

Dan. 

+1

I do this every time. The last time I used the drive through oil jokers. I told him to “not even touch the cabin air filter because the glovebox fell on the floor on the drive home last time.”

actually, now I take her car to the Toyota dealer. Its $20 cheaper, I get a semi syn blend and 7500kms. It’s worth getting up early on a Sat am.

and I agree, going a bit beyond isn’t bad if it’s full and reasonably clean. 

I actually think 5000km interval is nonsense and a ploy to get you back to the garage or dealer more often. 

Most make's it's 6000KM now per oil change.  The Oil Life Monitor in car's now is based on an algorithm as to how you drive and current oil pressure so I never trust those as they are just another part that can fail.  Synthetic oil is better, yes, however the oil filter hasn't changed in quality or design.  So...  

To me, your Jeep can sit for a few more months as long as you check the fluid levels 10 min after a drive (on flat ground).  

5 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

The 2018 GM pickup I’m in is 12000k intervals

I have a 011' Silverado 350 cid. I go around 12to 13 K since the extended warranty expired and the % of oil life still shows around 30% to 40%. I don't get out on the 400 series highways much to give her a good run at 120KPH and probably baby her too much. 120KPH out here and I'm going to get jacked up for racing. One of our finest out here will ticket you for anything over 90 in an 80. 

Hack with your truck being newer you are probably still covered under a drive train warranty. Be careful going over the 10K oil service for warranty purposes. They will nitpick everything to get out of the warranty and they do. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker