Muskey Men

wkrp

can it count to 15 feet? That'll do! When I troll most of my lines are less than 30 feet from the boat. So although I have line counters, I don't use them when musky fishing (or if I use em, I don't actually pay attention to the counter)

as far as line capacity, I sometimes troll with a curado 300....which is kind of like a larger bass baitcaster...and it does just fine. Doesn't have a clicker though, the reason I don't often use it. When I vacationed at Pigeon with the family I didn't want to to take all the rods, so ended up having to troll with it. Told the kids to keep an eye on the reel...when they see the spool turning to let me know. Of course not trusting them I did turn around and check it every 30 seconds or so. Good thing I did...we did catch a couple but usually I was the one noticing the drag slipping...they have no attention span.  Either way they had fun reeling them in...dad just drives the boat!

The new Tekotas are a smaller profile than the old style and a bit lighter.  I have 4 of the new style and I’m running 500’s for my light rigger rods and my braid dipsys . If I wanted to run a significant amount of 100lb test or whatever it is that you musky guys are into I’d buy the 600’s for line capacity.  The new ones are nice reels, but I have a bunch of the old ones and they are not leaps and bounds above the old style imho.  If you could find a good used 5/600 Tekota you’d be laughing.  You can sometimes find them on spoonpullers.

2 minutes ago, porkpie said:

The new Tekotas are a smaller profile than the old style and a bit lighter.  I have 4 of the new style and I’m running 500’s for my light rigger rods and my braid dipsys . If I wanted to run a significant amount of 100lb test or whatever it is that you musky guys are into I’d buy the 600’s for line capacity.  The new ones are nice reels, but I have a bunch of the old ones and they are not leaps and bounds above the old style imho.  If you could find a good used 5/600 Tekota you’d be laughing.  You can sometimes find them on spoonpullers.

Same as above. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 500, with a 600 you will have plenty of capacity. last season I used Okuma Convectors, which are a cheaper LC in a 500 size with 100LB braid. They've been good. I wouldn't go any lower with the line LB, it has saved me from losing a bait or three lol.Was also looking at getting Tekota's also, in the 600 size. 

I use a pair of 500LCs mounted on 8' Hvy TDRs, spooled with 60# braid for Musky. 

The nice thing about this setup is that by changing out the rod, the reels work well for long-lining Salmon in the spring and dipsy divers for trout and walleye through the summer when I put them on a 8"6" MH TDR.  Yea maybe the line is a bit overkill in those cases it's still a small diameter line when compared to mono.

The 600's are the best.  Just awesome.  And really, the 500's have same gear ratios and drag strength (older models do) 

Put my 600 to the test on skis 40-50lbs pulling big baits fast and hard for days on end, and the 500 for lakers to 47lbs and sturgeon to about 80lbs.  A 100+ days for sure on one of my 600's, and still going. 

Spool with plenty 20lb mono backing then load up the 80lb braid to fill.  

23 hours ago, lew said:

I used the 600LC and thought it was a great reel.

002-6.jpg

Lew, how far back in the prop wash are you usually running your baits?   You also run big blades back there as well if you can keep them under the surface?

37 minutes ago, BillM said:

Lew, how far back in the prop wash are you usually running your baits?   You also run big blades back there as well if you can keep them under the surface?

Usually around 20'-25' back Bill, sometimes closer and I've even got fish within 5' of the prop. Seems like the bubbles from the prop really stir the fish up.

Also works well with side rods pointed down and very little line out with some fish hitting right at the transom.

Same deal with big heavy spinnerbaits too, specially over heavy weeds.

Fast speeds and 90 degree turns really speed up the baits when they're in tight and that often brings some great hits.

Edited by lew