Lets Talk batteries

AKRISONER

In the Kawartha Lakes / Peterborough area, distilled water is a fast mover but if it’s sold out one day, it seems to be back in stock the next time. You could try picking a different day of the week to shop to see if your particular supplies are more readily available.

Toilet paper is seldom out of stock now in the area. It’s still very  tough to find disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer.

Three weeks ago there was a big run on flour and rice. That was back in stock too the  last time I did a grocery run.

I'm most amazed at how people know what's in stock and what's not on a weekly basis. I haven't been in a grocery store in 32 days.. and that was because I had to pick up a postal package, as the foodland is our depot! That said, I've put normal tap water in radiators and batteries for decades with zero negative effect.

14 minutes ago, irishfield said:

I'm most amazed at how people know what's in stock and what's not on a weekly basis. I haven't been in a grocery store in 32 days.

I shop for the household once per week, except for one full two-week stretch at the end of March.  The capacity to store pantry items is finite for everyone, but the capacity varies from household to household.  32 days and counting indicates a lot of capacity. 

Things like fresh milk can’t really be kept for 32 days, no matter what the capacity. 

👍  Plenty of water comes out of the well/tap, milk isn't essential... well until the wife runs out of Baileys for her morning coffee ! Hell even I'm down to 1.25 litres of Pepsi a day and any that know me know that's a major stretch from the usual 5! But I've taken this thread South.. back to batteries.  If your charger is working properly you shouldn't be boiling them down/dry  to need a top up!

Had a set of diehards last 7 years in mixed tournament pleasure fishing in my ranger. Maintaining battery's is key check water levels and charge regularly and make sure there true deep cycle batterys they can take more abuse than dual purpose and if you notice your starting to add water more often time to replace .

Even the Walmart battery's been decent friend swear by them getting 350 charge cycle out of them before replacement

Just a litlle off topic, Bought a new Glass cell batt. Hooked up to 1990 60 hp merc {still throwing out 118 psi } and fishfinder saying it was putting out too many volts so i had to run boat in day with lights and everything elec on'  Went back to Nautilus lead cell and no more high voltage problem . The leadcell must absorb some of the voltage from trickle charge. No alt on older Mercs Some things you just cant change

1 hour ago, dinger59 said:

Just a litlle off topic, Bought a new Glass cell batt. Hooked up to 1990 60 hp merc {still throwing out 118 psi } and fishfinder saying it was putting out too many volts so i had to run boat in day with lights and everything elec on'  Went back to Nautilus lead cell and no more high voltage problem . The leadcell must absorb some of the voltage from trickle charge. No alt on older Mercs Some things you just cant change

Well that sounds like a bit of an oxymoron,  fish finder says it's putting out too many volts and you say it has no alternator.  Regardless of the type of battery, they don't go much above 14.5 volts unless your voltage regulator is shot on the black anchor.

I don’t really leave my batteries on the charger long enough to boil them down that bad...plus it’s a brand new noco genius which specifically are supposed to not overcharge by monitoring the voltage to ensure they don’t overcharge. I think it’s more likely that my batteries are just showing their age (11 years now!)

• Like 2

My current battery's will start there 5th season. I don't fish 7 days a week 10-12 hrs.

More like 3-5 and I start late 8-9 am and quit about 2. I'm a freak for keeping connection clean.

My current charger is 4 bank Ranger OME .

It's not how great my Costco battery is it's cycles.

On 4/17/2020 at 10:35 PM, AKRISONER said:

I don’t really leave my batteries on the charger long enough to boil them down that bad...plus it’s a brand new noco genius which specifically are supposed to not overcharge by monitoring the voltage to ensure they don’t overcharge. I think it’s more likely that my batteries are just showing their age (11 years now!)

I've got a couple of the older model CTEK charger/maintainers, an old VDC charger maintainer and a CTC 4/1 amp Eliminator that works for both LA and AGM.  Cheaper to buy and maintain than buy batteries. Most are on sale for 20-25% off right now.

Edited by Fisherman

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, just an update on this and to spread some knowledge at the expense of my many many many far too many hours of reading...

as many already know there are basically 3 battery companies that manufacture the majority of both lead acid and AGM batteries in North America. 

typically the quality of them is considered by ranking them in the following order

east penn/deka 

johnson controls

expride

you can throw Trojan and odyssey in the mix if you want but I would consider them to somewhat be in a total league of their own. I came to the conclusion that they were indeed out of my personal price range. $500+ tax was just a bit too much for me. After reading more and more and attempting to determine who makes what for who I finally was able to come to a conclusion of who owns what.

Expride seems to have basically disappeared

johnson controls makes Kirkland, energizer and optima batteries 

east penn/deka owns deka battery, USA battery, but within the last year and a half has now started manufacturing canadian Tire’s ultra AGM batteries. This was huge news and finally explained why the heck the nautilus AGM batteries were so bloody expensive. People have cross referenced and you’ll actually notice that the canadian tire batteries have an identical casing to deka batteries with the exact same ratings. Canadian tire now also offers an industry leading 4 year totally comprehensive replacement warranty for their ultra AGM line of batteries. And most crazy of all the specs of their smaller ultra AGM batteries actually exceeds the cranking amps and amp hour specs on larger batteries. Saving me some much needed weight and space.

so the decision was made, lucky for me they actually are on sale right now too.

i figured I would share this info with everyone because it saved me a few hundred bucks, got me a battery with an unparralled warranty and has some of the highest quality components in the market. 

good on canadian tire for stepping up and providing a quality option in the canadian market at a reasonable price. Unfortunately it seems the battery brands change hands frequently. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/19/2020 at 9:17 PM, AKRISONER said:

Hey guys, just an update on this and to spread some knowledge at the expense of my many many many far too many hours of reading...

as many already know there are basically 3 battery companies that manufacture the majority of both lead acid and AGM batteries in North America. 

typically the quality of them is considered by ranking them in the following order

east penn/deka 

johnson controls

expride

you can throw Trojan and odyssey in the mix if you want but I would consider them to somewhat be in a total league of their own. I came to the conclusion that they were indeed out of my personal price range. $500+ tax was just a bit too much for me. After reading more and more and attempting to determine who makes what for who I finally was able to come to a conclusion of who owns what.

Expride seems to have basically disappeared

johnson controls makes Kirkland, energizer and optima batteries 

east penn/deka owns deka battery, USA battery, but within the last year and a half has now started manufacturing canadian Tire’s ultra AGM batteries. This was huge news and finally explained why the heck the nautilus AGM batteries were so bloody expensive. People have cross referenced and you’ll actually notice that the canadian tire batteries have an identical casing to deka batteries with the exact same ratings. Canadian tire now also offers an industry leading 4 year totally comprehensive replacement warranty for their ultra AGM line of batteries. And most crazy of all the specs of their smaller ultra AGM batteries actually exceeds the cranking amps and amp hour specs on larger batteries. Saving me some much needed weight and space.

so the decision was made, lucky for me they actually are on sale right now too.

i figured I would share this info with everyone because it saved me a few hundred bucks, got me a battery with an unparralled warranty and has some of the highest quality components in the market. 

good on canadian tire for stepping up and providing a quality option in the canadian market at a reasonable price. Unfortunately it seems the battery brands change hands frequently. 

So did you buy these batteries, and how did they work?  I am in the same boat, literally!  New Alumacraft coming this spring and need batteries, I have read everything I can find on batteries, I would love to go lithium but for good quality I am looking at $2600 plus tax.  I am thinking of getting the group 31 Nautilus Extreme AGM for my cranking/house battery (three HB Helix 9s) and two of the standard Nautilus group 31 AGM for my 24volt Terrova.  I have a new Noco three bank Genius charger as well so I think that will be a good setup.  Just waiting and hoping the batteries go on sale before the first of April.  

I would love to hear how you made out with your battery quest!

Last summer, I ran Lynac Lithiums for the entire summer and cannot say enough about them! I never came remotely close to running out of juice even though we did run out of gas LOL eh ARKISONER? They charged up real quickly, I don't believe that it ever took more than about 4 hours to fully charge them each evening. If you do the math at $642 a battery and you'll probably get 10 years out of them.(They come with 7 year warranty) it makes sense to spend the extra money now and never have to worry about power. BTW I also noticed more power with my trolling motor.

Anyway a great Canadian company out of Thunder Bay with great customer service! If you're looking for new batteries, check them out www.lynaclithium.com 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, David Chong said:

Last summer, I ran Lynac Lithiums for the entire summer and cannot say enough about them! I never came remotely close to running out of juice even though we did run out of gas LOL eh ARKISONER? They charged up real quickly, I don't believe that it ever took more than about 4 hours to fully charge them each evening. If you do the math at $642 a battery and you'll probably get 10 years out of them.(They come with 7 year warranty) it makes sense to spend the extra money now and never have to worry about power. BTW I also noticed more power with my trolling motor.

Anyway a great Canadian company out of Thunder Bay with great customer service! If you're looking for new batteries, check them out www.lynaclithium.com 

I talked to Conner at Lynac, and you are right, he is a great guy and answered all my questions about batteries.  What size battery were you running on your trolling motor?  60 or 100Ah?  Trying to figure out what I need, I am not a tournament guy, but I spend a couple weeks up north every summer and sometimes can't charge for several days so I need capacity to go 2-3 days between charges.  My old boat had two group 27 lead acid batteries, 24/80 Terrova, but it was an Alumacraft 165 tiller, the new boat is a 185 tiller, bigger, wider, heavier.  Any input is appreciated!   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crashman said:

I talked to Conner at Lynac, and you are right, he is a great guy and answered all my questions about batteries.  What size battery were you running on your trolling motor?  60 or 100Ah?  Trying to figure out what I need, I am not a tournament guy, but I spend a couple weeks up north every summer and sometimes can't charge for several days so I need capacity to go 2-3 days between charges.  My old boat had two group 27 lead acid batteries, 24/80 Terrova, but it was an Alumacraft 165 tiller, the new boat is a 185 tiller, bigger, wider, heavier.  Any input is appreciated!   

Yes, Connor is great! I ran 100 Ah Lynac’s last year but you will not need any more than the 60 Ah model - https://www.lynaclithium.com/product/12-8v-60ah-true-series/

Two 60 Ah batteries will be more than adequate! You won’t regret switching over to Lithiums!

I went with them, and liked them so much that I’m going to be going with them again this year in my new to me rig.

the AGM extreme was absolutely nuts for cranking power, it literally made that old yamaha sound like a machine gun was firing it turned over so fast and powerful, it was like a totally different boat.

id also love to go lithium but it also means changing your charging set up. That’s my only reason for not making the change over. 

i ran the standard nautilus group 31’s for my trolling motor and didn’t ever even come close to draining them. I did a 13 hour day last year pre fishing a tournament in heavy wind and they still had half their juice left at the end of the day. 

I’ve always been more concerned with my electronics. That day I ran two Garmin 95s, a helix 7 and livescope for 13 hours straight and didn’t kill a nautilus group 27 extreme never mind the 31!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 6:05 PM, Crashman said:

Crashman from CGN?  Doug here, I am picking up my new Alumacraft 165 on Tuesday.  We need to talk!  😉

Doug