Lets Talk batteries

AKRISONER

I spoke to the people at acme battery last week, I was told that if I wanted to run 3 graphs, fuse box and be able to start the motor without problems on a single battery to up to a group 31.

If you're using an onboard charger don't all the batteries have to be the same kind?  

Before you go and buy these AGM batteries, check that your on-board charger has the technology to properly charge an AGM battery. AGM batteries do not like being charged at much more then 2 amps. That's mostly due to the heat that's generated during the charging process; these batteries cannot handle the relatively high internal temps of higher charging rates. A proper AGM charger has the technology to closely monitor the battery temp. It does this by using the voltage and amperage applied to the battery to calculate the temp and then adjust the charge rate. When the battery(s) are fully charged the charger will go into a float mode; as to keep the battery fully charged and not too over charge.

Dan.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Musky Plug said:

I spoke to the people at acme battery last week, I was told that if I wanted to run 3 graphs, fuse box and be able to start the motor without problems on a single battery to up to a group 31.

If you're using an onboard charger don't all the batteries have to be the same kind?  

No, only if they are connected together, typically in series for a 24 or 36 volt Trolling Motor.

3 hours ago, DanD said:

Before you go and buy these AGM batteries, check that your on-board charger has the technology to properly charge an AGM battery.

Im running a 1 year old noco genius. I’m good to go!

everyone keeps saying group 31 but I don’t think I’ve got the space for one. Thatd take another two inches of length in the compartment which I unfortunately don’t have. My batteries and charger are already tessellated into the compartment with basically 0 extra space. I’ll have to look closely again but I don’t think I have any room to gain.

Edited by AKRISONER

I swear by 31's too. They make a big difference. I'd be scared with a 24 series running electronics all day then having to start my main. 

I just use flooded lead, and have no issues. Take care of them and they will take care of you. 

I'm going on 4 or 5 or maybe even 6 seasons on mine now, they owe me nothing. 

S. 

• Like 1

Those I show are my 24v (2x12) trolling motor batteries and the forward one is my 9.9 kickers battery. Another for the Verado in the back. All are 31 series. The trolling motors are flooded lead units and both engine batteries are AGM's.

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 1

Small skeeter, no rear storage. I’ll measure it out this weekend. My charger is already totally out of the way and tucked up beside my livewell against the side of the boat. It’s actually pretty nifty lol if the charger’s cables were any other orientation it wouldn’t have worked! Just a fluke!

It's off topic and not agm.  But I'm gonna put it on any battery post.   Check out crown batteries.   My 29's for my TM  weigh more and have more amp/hrs than 90% of 31's   Heck they may make agm's.

I've had every battery under the sun and none  compare to the way these things run.   Also take forever to charge. 

Gone through many different brands over the years and found Deka to be most reliable lead acid battery they manufacture AGM as well. Some names like powersurge carquest diehard Mopar all Deka .

I was thinking of switching to either AGM or lithium but require different chargers for both. AGM requires lower charge voltages shouldn't exceed 14.4vts or you may get reduced life span

For all battery's it's cycles how many times you discharge and charge.

To be good to your battery you would re charge after 25% use.

Rec fishermen might do this.

Tournament guys do everything possible to kill battery's, they discharge to near zero everyday on the water blast them over night and do it again

7 days a week .

2 seasons is what I got from battery's but I also perch/crappie fish and a crazy walleye guy spring and fall.

I also only added water once and would buy all new battery's. Most of the time I gave them to rec fishermen and they got years out of them, for me not worth the risk.

So it's a case of how do you use your battery's.

4 hours ago, Garnet said:

I also only added water once and would buy all new battery's. Most of the time I gave them to rec fishermen and they got years out of them, for me not worth the risk.

So it's a case of how do you use your battery's.

I definitely put mine to work during boating season. Aside from the super extreme tournament guys its safe to say i put over 350 hours on them over the period between June and October. The key for me has been to ensure that they get charged every time i dock. I also top up the water in the spring...cant bloody find any distilled water lately anywhere though! 

Early in my tournament career I add water to my battery's. I talked to our head Quality guy in General Motors Battery Plant his recommendation was boil tap water for 10 minutes let cool and fill battery's.   

What i did do was get the guy on acid tanks to get me some.

This was late July and thought get threw season buy battery's come spring.

What happened was fishing a tournament on Rice 3 weeks after filling battery's 9 am and dead battery's.

I'm at Harris with credit card in hand buying 2 battery's 27 group to get threw day. I cashed a check and sold the battery's without losing to much.

So after that would fill battery's with boiled water and get threw a weekend and then buy the right battery's for the job.

This was about 92,93 I bought a load tester and learned how to use it. Pre internet for me.

20 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

cant bloody find any distilled water lately anywhere though! 

Make your own.

Get an old style pressure cooker; one that has the spigot in the lid. Coil up (In 8-10" loops) 10 feet of copper tubing; the same size as the cooker's spigot. Connect the coil to the spigot with a short section of hose and a couple of hose clamps. Hang the coil vertically with a downwards slop (Maybe 10-15°); with the other end of coil stuck inside an open container. Fill the cooker half way with tap water, put the lid on and then put the cooker on the heat to boil. You'll now have distilled water.

Also if you're inclined; you can start making your own screech. LOL

Dan. 

• Haha 3