Lets Talk batteries

AKRISONER

12 hours ago, akaShag said:

Crashman from CGN?  Doug here, I am picking up my new Alumacraft 165 on Tuesday.  We need to talk!  😉

Doug

Hey Doug, yes it is the one and only me!  No one would be crazy or stoopid enough to actually want to pretend to be me!  I will give you a shout later this morning pal.  

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2020 at 7:56 PM, Yellow Fever said:

Terry...It's not wrong for 24 volts. I do a bit of boat wiring and can't believe some of the things i see on boats, critical wires wrapped together then held together with 1/2 a roll of vinyl tape. 

Yes I agree.  The biggest issue is with people not using the proper size wire, the proper type of wire and not using the proper connectors.  My personal fav is ring terminals that look like they were crimped with a pair of channel locks or a rabid beaver.  

• Haha 2

And the half a roll of electrical tape.  Had a guy at the camp a few years back that had multiple joints and used every imaginable colour of wire but not all in one piece.  What a headache.  Then there was the fellow (old medic I think you might remember) who got his boat outfitted at Hully Gully.  They added 2 batteries but forgot to hook them up to anything to get charged.  He couldn't figure out why his downriggers wouldn't come up and his F/F died.

His name was Gary Burridge.

Edited by Fisherman

15 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Yep.  Same guy that put his tag on a buck that Marcel shot (after Marcel had already used his tag), and then submitted the buck for the Meaford Fish and Game Big Buck contest.  And it says something about the club that Gary did get the prize even though he did not shoot the buck...........

• Haha 2

On 4/4/2022 at 4:38 PM, Fisherman said:

And the half a roll of electrical tape.  Had a guy at the camp a few years back that had multiple joints and used every imaginable colour of wire but not all in one piece.  What a headache.  Then there was the fellow (old medic I think you might remember) who got his boat outfitted at Hully Gully.  They added 2 batteries but forgot to hook them up to anything to get charged.  He couldn't figure out why his downriggers wouldn't come up and his F/F died.

having ripped apart a 98 skeeter and a 2006 stratos that were both outfitted with aftermarket electronics installed by the previous owner to install my own, people really love canadian tire spools of wire, merretts and electrical tape 😆

In some ways I wish the guys had never installed a thing, finding the mess they made and getting it out of the boat was half of the battle! as we speak, ive got an ancient lowrance transducer cable fed into my console area that I cannot find the other end to to get rid of it. If i attempt to pull it to the console it doesnt budge, I cant seemingly find the other end of it anywhere else in the boat...so there it will stay i guess lol

Ive got a decent spool of used marine 8 guage wire now that I have no clue what I am going to do with lol. Maybe a friend one day will be in need and not mind using dirty wire.

Edited by AKRISONER

Yep......as an electrician I do not like to sort through a rats nest to determine where they made a mistake.  I find it MUCH easier to rip out and start from new again.  That way I can use properly sized cables/wires, terminals, abrasion resistance on the bundle and labeling (yes I actually label wires) - LOL

4 hours ago, 410001661 said:

Yep......as an electrician I do not like to sort through a rats nest to determine where they made a mistake.  I find it MUCH easier to rip out and start from new again.  That way I can use properly sized cables/wires, terminals, abrasion resistance on the bundle and labeling (yes I actually label wires) - LOL

My god, the smartest thing I ever did was start writing all over my wires in marker to tell me what the hell was what. I remember trying tape a few times and all that happened was the tape got caught while running the wire lol.

Ive learned as stated, If you have a job to do, just plan for an entirely new install and rip everything out that you possible can. Non marine wire, non tinned copper terminal ends, merrets, electrical tape, wrong sized fuses (this one is scary) I’ve seen it all and it’s not like I do this professionally. 

to date scariest thing that’s happened to me and I had a whole thread about it a few years back was the crappy stock minkotta plug receptacle vibrating my wire and cutting it to the point that it down guaged built resistance and lit on fire without me knowing it. to this day I still have no clue why a fuse didn’t blow or my boat didn’t light on fire. So lucky.

unrelated and on a terrifying note, went to the car wash today and was taking off the bib off my truck and found a whole mouse nest on top of my friggin battery! My truck was a friggin tinder box and I didn’t even know it. Blew out the nest and sprayed pesticide all over the battery cover, hopefully that will deter the little bugger from returning!

Edited by AKRISONER