Lets Talk batteries

AKRISONER

Hey Guys,

My interstate standard lead acid battery is due for replacement. Its 11 years old if you can believe it. Very impressed. But before I go and drop close to $500 on a new AGM id like to hear you guys out on your opinion for the best batteries? I think ive made the decision to switch to AGM this time around because its become obvious that riding my small bassboat on the great lakes is causing too much spilling. Its noticeable every year when I go to fill them in the spring with some new water.

Ive also been intrigued by the Nautilus Ultra XD Group 24 AGM, however I am seeing conflicting information on their website about the warranty on the battery. It says 3 years in the description and then 4 in the warranty section. Also ive read some bad reviews, but they seem to all be from 8+ years ago. My most recent visit to crappy can, it seems like they have re-branded their batteries.

I look at an optima, however word is that their manufacturing changed as has their warranty recently. Seems like the company changed hands and quality has declined significantly. I personally had this experience with their red tops dying in my car after 2 years...but that was 10+ years ago. Maybe things have gotten better.

Ive looked at Odysee, I dont know anything about them, but they seem legit. The challenge im having with them is finding where the heck to buy them?

and finally Im heavily leaning to going with an interstate 34m-AGM but what are you guys running? I havent bought a marine battery in my entire life aside from the costco lead acid deep cycles. But im totally open and all ears. Im not very concerned with pricing if Im assured that the battery is going to last 10 years. I baby my batteries, and my boat goes right back on the charger every time i dock it. So they should last fairly long. Most "reviews" on line seem to be paid for by the respective manufacturer. So id rather ask a bunch of guys that actually run batteries to give me their 2 cents. Let me know what you guys think!

**Side note** I wish I could afford to go lithium, but reading up on it, going lithium would also require a new charger for the boat as well. Maybe some day.

Edited by AKRISONER

If you are using the battery and then charging it like you should then you can continue using your lead acid ones. I switched to AGM optima batteries in all of my boats and some are 7 years old now. I fish in some places where I can not plug in at the end of the day so I went with the AGM. I also do not like the acid venting in the battery compartments and while the AGM also vents it is much less and will not spill if it is cracked or tipped. 

Art

• Like 1

So...its a starting battery.? And you want a group 24? What are you powering?  I run a Trojan ST 1000 for the last 4 years and it has been a good battery, it starts a 250 and powers all my electronics ( 4 different units and downriggers ) now my kicker is a 15 with high power charging so it never really gets down. In the $400.00 range I would buy this battery again

Edited by Yellow Fever

I put a Canadian Tire AGM battery in my Honda Pilot two years ago and will never use a flooded battery again.

They work way better in the cold than flooded and no spillage or off gassing.

I need to replace my TM batteries and they will be AGM.

I'm also planning on using AGM's in my solar power system out at the cabin.

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

So...its a starting battery.? And you want a group 24? What are you powering?  I run a Trojan ST 1000 for the last 4 years and it has been a good battery, it starts a 250 and powers all my electronics ( 4 different units and downriggers ) now my kicker is a 15 with high power charging so it never really gets down. In the $400.00 range I would buy this battery again

Motor, all of my electronics plus my livewells on tournament days. Theres really no such thing as a "dual purpose" AGM as they are basically implied  as dual purpose when you buy a marine AGM, at least from what I can see so far? Ive been looking at the specs on the batteries and surprisingly the Canadian Tire battery has the same specs as the interstate. 1000MCA and 800 CCA with a comparable reserve capacity. I worry about longevity with the Canadian Tire batteries though.  

Edited by AKRISONER

I’ve had terrible luck with nautilus batteries.  Average luck with Costco batteries.  Walmart has been ok so far.  I have 2 optima blue top for the TM in my big boat.  They came with it, I wouldn’t have bought them but so far they are holding strong at 4 years old.  I have used lead acids on the Great Lakes for ages and taken a pounding and never had a problem.  If I where to buy standard batteries I’d buy 2 of the 29’s they sell at Walmart.  I have one that’s 6 years old and works perfectly for the tinner and used it on my old 16 footer for several years on the bow mount.  It took a beating and still holds a charge and lasts a long time.  JMO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

I've always been of the opinion that Optima batteries are priced like Sears, way out of this universe.

Crazy enough...the optima is cheaper than the canadian tire ultra agms at Costco

Edited by AKRISONER

3 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Crazy enough...the optima is cheaper than the canadian tire ultra agms at Costco

Is that comparing the same group size and amps.  If I was going to go AGM, I would probably go with either DEKA or Oddysey.  They seem to have much better reviews.

It’s a group 27 instead of 24, but is basically the same thing.

i agree with you in what I’m reading in reviews as well hence the hesitation. I’m also struggling to find anyone that carries odyssey marine AGM’s. Walmart sells all of their car batteries.

3 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Maybe I missed it...how many batteries are in your boat and exactly how are they being used? I’m assuming if you have a 24V system for your troller you have 3 batteries on board. 

3! 2 for the TM and 1 for everything else, starting, livewells, electronics. 

I wish I could have another but it’s a small boat and my compartment is already full.

Edited by AKRISONER

33 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

3! 2 for the TM and 1 for everything else, starting, livewells, electronics. 

I wish I could have another but it’s a small boat and my compartment is already full.

That’s perfect and 24v is good for a boat your size. 👍🏻

AGM batteries are great from a maintenance standpoint just don’t expect any more life or performance over a good wet cell. Meaning, they may perform better but the way to fish you may never realize it. If I was fishing for cash every weekend and ran electronics and live wells from 7am to 3pm, and still needed to turn over a V6, I’d spend the extra dough. I’d be wary of models of AGM that are priced the same or less than wet cell. 
Imho

53 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I would seriously not consider anything other than a series 31.....is there such a thing as to much battery?

Yes. Buying more battery than you need will cost more but more importantly, the weight is the issue. His boat needs to run on the pad to perform properly. Weight and balance can affect getting up on plane and top speed. 

I also don’t have any more space to fit it! 

compartment is tight as it is! Older photo but the same batteries. Would be tough to fit a group 31.

would love to go lithium and save myself 100lbs but the price is still too high

9-A2-BB9-E1-8-AFB-4-FE4-8-A55-2-DE1-AB30

Edited by AKRISONER

2 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I also don’t have any more space to fit it! 

compartment is tight as it is! Older photo but the same batteries. Would be tough to fit a group 31.

would love to go lithium and save myself 100lbs but the price is still too high

9-A2-BB9-E1-8-AFB-4-FE4-8-A55-2-DE1-AB30

I like your wiring schematic on the lid 😁

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

I like your wiring schematic on the lid 😁

Lol it’s probably wrong. It’s from the previous owner, he clearly didn’t know anything about wiring or electronics. Hence the entire re-wire of most things in my boat that aren’t OEM.

guy was running the TM on 12 guage and the electronics in the boat on 16. Everything taped or merretted together too. 

Edited by AKRISONER