Newest post - safety and planning on an outpost or back country trip

gordy28

I will admit that I love anything to do with bushcraft or wilderness prep - Survivorman, Bear Grylls the Last Alaskans, Alone - I love it all

When we first started our back country trips and eventually fly ins we did some planning for our safety - we did a wilderness prep course and 2 of our group did a wilderness first aid course

I usually have a small personal survival pack on me at all times and we bring a big first aid kit packed by a RN

Photo is of our group on our first ever Algonquin trip

Interested in hearing others tips and tricks and I posted my thoughts here

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/i...ook-in-the-eye

Cheers
Andrew
spacer.png

Good read, thanks. I just started doing back country trips last year - paddle in and wheel in with my truck. I love it and had big plans for this year but we all know how that went!

I had been intending to take a few bushcraft courses, including navigation and first aid. As soon as it's safe to do I will get back on that.

I've also been concerned about communication. I did my first solo last year and it was one of the best times of my life. I want to do more so I've been looking at the Garmin InReach Explorer+ for two-way communications and rescue security.

11 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

Good read, thanks. I just started doing back country trips last year - paddle in and wheel in with my truck. I love it and had big plans for this year but we all know how that went!

I had been intending to take a few bushcraft courses, including navigation and first aid. As soon as it's safe to do I will get back on that.

I've also been concerned about communication. I did my first solo last year and it was one of the best times of my life. I want to do more so I've been looking at the Garmin InReach Explorer+ for two-way communications and rescue security.

Glad you enjoyed it Dutch

If you are in the GTA watch groupon or call Dave Arama (I highlighted him in the post) we did groupon for his course and was reasonable for us and really good

I have looked at the Garmins as well and they have a great rep.  Generally I do one trip max a year where cell phone is no good so we have generally just rented a satellite phone and bring my handheld GPS

Cheers

Andrew 

good post, important topic

the older I get, the more cautious I get and the more I think about this stuff because of all the stuff and close calls that have happened while in a remote setting

I think the most important thing is a way to communicate to get help if you need it

100_1131.jpg

here's our ride out from a remote canoe trip that went wrong because we had a Spot Sat Messenger

I know a guy who had no communication on a fly in trip, his father in law died of a heart attack on the 2nd day and the weather was 30 C plus everyday for the rest of the week

I buried a big siwash into the back of my brother's head a few years ago on a fly in, thank God it wasn't his eye

crap happens, a way to communicate and get help is important

• Like 3