Our Elderly and Shut Ins

Lets not forget our elderly and not just our family members; but the seniors in our neighborhoods. Check on them to see if they're OK; in need of supplies or errands too be done. Today my wife is off from work; (They started rotating days at the service department of the car dealership; where she is a service adviser) she called the people we new in our neighborhood that might like some help. At the same time she asked them if they knew of anyone that might be in need of something. Only got three people take her up on her offer; most said that they were OK. She did a grocery shop for a couple of homes and one stop at the service Ontario to get a license plate sticker for our next door neighbor, Why this 80 year old man wanted his sticker I don't know? The car hasn't moved for the last two months; but he was upset that his plate had expired. LOL She dropped the groceries off outside at their door and they had the cash or a cheque in their mail box for her. Yes she wiped all of the containers, boxes and bags down with an antiseptic cloth before leaving the stash at the homes. I was proud of her for making the effort; one she plans to continue doing.

Dan.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, DanD said:

Lets not forget our elderly and not just our family members; but the seniors in our neighborhoods. Check on them to see if they're OK; in need of supplies or errands too be done. Today my wife is off from work; (They started rotating days at the service department of the car dealership; where she is a service adviser) she called the people we new in our neighborhood that might like some help. At the same time she asked them if they knew of anyone that might be in need of something. Only got three people take her up on her offer; most said that they were OK. She did a grocery shop for a couple of homes and one stop at the service Ontario to get a license plate sticker for our next door neighbor, Why this 80 year old man wanted his sticker I don't know? The car hasn't moved for the last two months; but he was upset that his plate had expired. LOL She dropped the groceries off outside at their door and they had the cash or a cheque in their mail box for her. Yes she wiped all of the containers, boxes and bags down with an antiseptic cloth before leaving the stash at the homes. I was proud of her for making the effort; one she plans to continue doing.

Dan.

Kudos to her, that's the way this world should work! If we all just kept paying it forward wouldn't it be nice?

Stay safe and God bless! 🙏

36 minutes ago, DanD said:

The car hasn't moved for the last two months; but he was upset that his plate had expired.

All expiration dates on or after March 1 were extended until further notice:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/extended-validation-periods?_ga=2.37673568.1592670306.1586264313-887641135.1584726326

• extending licence plate sticker validation including International Registration Plan (IRP)
Edited by MJIG
  • Like 2

We just lost one of my neighbors, they found him dead in his house this morning. They think he had been dead for a day or two, if it wasn't for one of the neighbors checking on him he might have laid there for a long time.

Sandy was a veteran, well up there in years, but up until last Friday still able to drive and get around reasonably well. We weren't close, played cards at the club house once a week but this is a community and we all try to look out for each other.

I was just told his wife is in the hospital and they don't expect her to see the end of the week either. Up until now the deaths have just been numbers but when it hits this close to home it sure becomes very real! 

• Sad 2

Good on your wife.  I am in a Mardi Gras krewe and for several years on Wednesdays we would use one of our buses to go to a local assisted living home and take folks grocery shopping.  Given the current situation, the home gets a list from them and we go shopping for them.  Publix lets us go in the senior hour 1 hour before official opening.

Tomorrow is my turn in the rotation, so gotta roll out of bed in the am.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MJIG said:

expiration dates on or after March 1 were extended until further notice:

Try telling that to an 80 plus year old that has to have everything just so. LOL

Dan

Edited by DanD
  • Like 1