Ice Fishing with my dog.

limeyangler

Hi All,

Still lots of ice here but spring is on the way for sure. 

I used to take my dog fishing lots more than I do now, even though he makes it quite clear when I am heading out that he wants to go. 

Unfortunately for him he suffers from the same thing I do, my brain still behaves like a 17 year old, but my body doesn't, and he will injure himself in pursuit of what he loves.

With less snow, warmer temps and the need to drive to access lakes I can normally get to by sled, taking the pup with me becomes more feasible. 

I just wish he could hunt as well as he fishes, lol, its a complete @#$% show taking him grouse hunting.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, limeyangler said:

I just wish he could hunt as well as he fishes, lol, its a complete @#$% show taking him grouse hunting.

LMAO Simon

Had a short hair that would run around like crazy . Jump in the air to get a scent when I shot one. Have no idea why . Oh she would find it. I knew, cuz she would sit on it not point .LMAO

5 hours ago, misfish said:

LMAO Simon

Had a short hair that would run around like crazy . Jump in the air to get a scent when I shot one. Have no idea why . Oh she would find it. I knew, cuz she would sit on it not point .LMAO

Lol, trying to hatch a dead grouse....lol.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Your dog sure gets excited when you catch a fish.

He sure does. Because I’m always videoing when fishing, he now knows that when he hears the 3 beeps of my GoPro starting to record I probably have a fish on and comes running over...so smart!

• Like 2

When my dog was a lot younger I would put a small hoodie on and of we would go.  Never had an issue and always lots of fun.

My dog LOVES fish.  We were out in cold weather and caught a fish let it go.. Doesn't the fool stick his head down the hole up to the ears chasing it.

Then runs out into the cold.  Wet long fur cold.. His mouth fur froze shut together then panics.

Once in back in the hut, all was good but will forever laugh at it..

My dog too old for ice fishing now but in his mind he wants to still come

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeXXington said:

When my dog was a lot younger I would put a small hoodie on and of we would go.  Never had an issue and always lots of fun.

My dog LOVES fish.  We were out in cold weather and caught a fish let it go.. Doesn't the fool stick his head down the hole up to the ears chasing it.

Then runs out into the cold.  Wet long fur cold.. His mouth fur froze shut together then panics.

Once in back in the hut, all was good but will forever laugh at it..

My dog too old for ice fishing now but in his mind he wants to still come

Yeah, Roloff used to accompany me more often,  he loves chasing the snow machine but just can’t keep up anymore, First ice and spring was usually our ice time anyway, way too cold for him to be out for hours the rest of winter here, especially on the ice, his pads get tore up pretty bad even when it’s mild, and he would be a nightmare to have in the Otter pop up.