Boat Launches Open for Fishing - Petition

RPW

The Port Authority has confirmed with the health unit that all marinas & boat ramps are considered outdoor recreation facilities & as per the provincial order announced today are to be closed.
The Province of Ontario, issued a new emergency order to prohibit organized public events, social gatherings & to close all outdoor recreational amenities, sports fields, playgrounds, all communal or shared, public or private, outdoor recreational amenities everywhere in Ontario
The above was posted yesterday. Only those that have their boats in the water already or can get their boats in the water in  a manner like what SmokestackLightnin can are currently allowed water access. However those individuals still must adhere to safe distancing requirements.
Edited by Bill
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RPW said:

but I feel that they should remain open to those who choose to use the ramp for fishing purposes, and not partying at the Grassies. Rather than shut the ramps down to everyone, they can allow access to those going to fish, 

I don't think it's either feasible nor reasonable to open launches for just fisherman.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RPW said:

Hi Bill,

I completely agree with what you're saying. I do believe this is the reason the government closed the boat ramps, but I feel that they should remain open to those who choose to use the ramp for fishing purposes, and not partying at the Grassies. Rather than shut the ramps down to everyone, they can allow access to those going to fish, and fine the ones who aren't being socially responsible. They keep mentioning these $750 and $1,000 fines for not following the new emergency orders, why not hand a few out to the people who are ruining it for everyone?

So the idea is to police all of the ramps and question everyone there, then fine those who aren't fishing? That seems like a terrible use of resources in a time when we're battling a pandemic. This entire idea is amazingly short-sighted in the current climate.

• Like 2

Keep them closed. 

Keep the message consistent and clear for everyone to stay home.

Re-opening ramps sends the wrong message.

Why do people have to tout about going out and staying away from people? What are you proving?

A large percentage of people do not use common sense when leaving their house. Boat ramps are not worth the risk. Everyone still stops for food, gas, etc. 

Seems there are always two camps of people on this topic. The right things to do now is just stay home.

• Like 2

Does your petition to include pay to launch private facilities as well? So they will all be free or does someone have to take your money by hand? I know guys have been using the Crystal Beach launch on Erie. Pay at the machine. While both arguments have merits I choose not to sign your petition.

By the way with governments working around the clock shorthanded do you really think someone is going to take the time to even read the thing? I doubt it, they are kind of busy these days looking at ways to save lives. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 4

I am not trying to prove anything 

when people quit going for their daily walk and walking their dog 

I will quit fishing 

I have my truck and a boat there is not reason anyone should ever come near me 

so if you are staying home and never going out good for you

but if you are getting food or working then I am far less likely to get the virus then you

and I am not using a boat ramp

i am now checking in on a cottage for people who can not come up to it and I am able to put my boat in there 

Edited by Terry
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Terry said:

I will quit fishing 

but if you are getting food or working then I am far less likely to get the virus then you

i am now checking in on a cottage for people who can not come up to it and I am able to put my boat in there 

If you can launch at a private ramp or you have a dock at a cottage of course you can go fishing. They haven't banned fishing,,,,,,,,, yet. If you eat some of your catch you are actually doing a service to all if it keeps you out of a grocery store even once. And of course there is far less a chance of contracting this thing out in the middle of a lake than anyone that is essential and goes into work everyday. My wife for one. Rant deleted. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Terry said:

I will quit fishing 

Agree Bro everyone still at LCBO beer store grocery stores but that 6 ft must be different than the 6 ft in boat lol. Enjoy post pics 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon said:

And we haven't even had the discussion about whether or not people should go to the cottage...

Whole can of worms, but if the cottagers are anything like the crowd up in muskoka or pointe au baril that pay to have, their boats put in and out, their docks taken in and out, the cottage winterized and opened, cleaned, fixed etc etc then absolutely friggin not. 

if people are at a property by themselves and taking care of themselves how could you ever say they don’t belong there? 

I came up north today, packed groceries from the city and have fuel that I purchased weeks ago. I literally won’t see another human while I’m here unless a boat goes by

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

How many people are going to die because some people won't accept that this is not a game? 

Its the me and I people that thinks they are special 

So the gov closes the boat ramps to protect people.  
but at the critical time when the virus was being flown in what did they do?   Did they close the air travel from places that had the virus. The people making the decisions are the problem.  
Please tell me what good they did.   

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, glen said:

but at the critical time when the virus was being flown in what did they do?   Did they close the air travel from places that had the virus. The people making the decisions are the problem.  

Using government failings to justify doing things is one way to go about things, I guess. If you need to fall back on "Well they did/didn't, so why should/shouldn't I", I'd call that a reach.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, glen said:

Political posts aren't allowed or I would tell you where I think the problem is!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, LefroyFisherman said:

There's also seems to be like 5 million essential workers and workplaces in Ontario, with everyone 6 feet or less apart, but I can't launch my boat and fish far away from people.

And the key word here is essential

On 4/2/2020 at 8:07 AM, RPW said:

Hi Bill,

I completely agree with what you're saying. I do believe this is the reason the government closed the boat ramps, but I feel that they should remain open to those who choose to use the ramp for fishing purposes, and not partying at the Grassies. Rather than shut the ramps down to everyone, they can allow access to those going to fish, and fine the ones who aren't being socially responsible. They keep mentioning these $750 and $1,000 fines for not following the new emergency orders, why not hand a few out to the people who are ruining it for everyone?

RPW, firstly I feel your pain and that of most on this forum. I don't think that the severity of the situation has actually sunk in yet. Many members here and/or their loved ones fall into the category of at risk of severe or fatal repercussions. Opening up boat ramps is not the answer. Staying at home and sucking it up is!

We are still not getting it.......construction projects still business as usual. Furniture stores like Leons and The Brick still open, go figure!. Cannabis stores still open with social gatherings outside. Some still using Timmies and McD drive throughs and then socializing in the parking lot. Until a unified national effort is in place with ALL non essential services closed and only essential inter-provincial travel (trucks) allowed, this will get MUCH worse, quickly.

I can only hope that I am very wrong and say hi to many of you on the water during 2020.

• Like 1

It's not just about social distancing.  The actions from the provincial government are being done for more than 1 reason in fighting the spread of Covid 19.  From a social distancing perspective going fishing by yourself or with people in your home is not an issue.   At a time when we need our emergency services to be focussed on a  true threat, staying off the waterways gives them one less thing to respond to.  Kind of falls in line with the restricted fire zone in  Ontario.

Edited by SmokestackLightnin
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

And the key word here is essential

Pet groomers make the definition of essential.  I kid you not, this is fact!  This is a cluster.  These fellas have a valid point.

Edited by porkpie

Gets me, they haven't stoped air travel and cruises.

And there the ones that got us in this crap, so who's blaming who, I guess it's the ones that stay in our country and want to do a littls fishing.

Edited by Fish Farmer
  • Like 1