Boat Launches Open for Fishing - Petition

RPW

42 minutes ago, woodenboater said:

If the lakes are given a temporary reprieve from getting hammered, how different will the fishing be once things ease up ? will we see more pb's ? will we see more monsters that have been feasting all spring/summer ?

Was talking about this very thing with a buddy yesterday. What will the fishing be like next year, or whenever we get to fish again, if we aren't going to be allowed to be on the the water for a while. It will be interesting for sure.

11 hours ago, Crazy Ivan said:

In my opinion it comes down to this. Closing boat ramps is one less burden on the manpower needed to police the waterways. Also if you need to be rescued while on the water for whatever reason it is much harder to get to you than someone walking a dog on the sidewalk. Let's give up our leisure activities for a while, wait this out and save some lives.

The same day that Ornge airlifted a 37 year old man from Pembroke to Ottawa hospital, Ornge released this statement:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/air-ambulance-service-urges-ontarians-to-stay-home-as-it-transports-injured-in-atv-crashes/

Ornge, the province’s air ambulance service, is warning people to listen to public health officials and “stay home unless absolutely necessary” as it reports that crews across Ontario are beginning to transport patients injured in ATV crashes to hospital.

There were 3 atvs at this scene.  The one driver was taken by ambulance then flown to Ottawa.  Second driver was charged with more than 80 mg per 100 ml of blood and the third driver registered a "warn" on the screen device.

The point is not about drinking and riding,  which is not right, the point is  how many emergency people were involved with this one altercation. 

Every single medical officer of health, be it federal, provincial or municipal are asking people to stay home, isolate, and only go out if it is absolutely necessary. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, woodenboater said:

If the lakes are given a temporary reprieve from getting hammered, how different will the fishing be once things ease up ? will we see more pb's ? will we see more monsters that have been feasting all spring/summer ?

You likely see stronger breeding classes in the years to come with minimal fishing pressure this spring.  Think of the breeding walleye that put the feedbag on after the spawn, with little to no angling pressure right after the spawn it could mean that there will be more breeding fish in the years to come.   I doubt that the fry from this year's spawn will be any different then normal but there will be more spawning fish from this around to spawn again.

Edited by SmokestackLightnin

18 minutes ago, LostAnotherOne said:

Quick question guys.  Can the cops give you a ticket if you are hauling a boat to a private launch?  It would be pretty hard to miss.

No they can’t because there is no travel restriction in place in Ontario.  I hauled my boat to a private launch this morning. People are making up rules here.  Go to the province of Ontario website or the OPP website if you want accurate information.  It’s far superior than internet rumours and manufactured laws.

• Like 1

I don't understand how people are making the leap from public boat ramps being closed to no fishing or boating allowed. There are two separate entities in play here...the new laws regarding temporary closures of public ramps and the moral issue of staying home. I personally have seen nothing that indicates you must stay indoors at all times. IF you can access your favorite lake without utilizing a public ramp, and IF you will not require stops for fuel, etc., and IF the risk(however large or small) that your well thought out plans will not require close human contact...have at it. 

Like many of you I have a boat in the driveway that is fueled up and ready to go. I also know which ramps are still open and give me access to the lake. But for now, I have decided to make the sacrifice(and I feel silly even typing that word) to not go. That's just between me and my conscience and has zero to do with anyone else. Maybe in a week or two I'll be out if things change. If people want to go and to them the risk is less than the reward, have a good time. But, last week when I see guys with their boats on the back at gas stations and Canadian Tire, I call Bull. 

All in my IMHO only.

• Like 3

I can’t trust anglers from picking up their own garbage so I certainly am not going to  trust them that all will comply with social distancing.   Fishing is a recreation for most of us, it is certainly not essential.  Dave Chong said no fish is worth dying for during an ice fishing seminar and I agree but it applies in all situations.  Once you get or give the virus, there are no ‘do overs’, no take me backs.   I’m smart enough to know when I don’t know what I don’t know. There’s so much to this we and the medical community does not know yet.  Health care and front line workers are dying trying to save people.  If you don’t have your health, you have nothing, at the very least maintain what health you have.  The arguement to compare fishing to other activities that are essential is ignorant during a pandemic.  Stay at home and self isolate as much as you can, it is the most effective way to avoid infection.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, fish4me said:

I can’t trust anglers from picking up their own garbage so I certainly am not going to  trust them that all will comply with social distancing.

If I decide to go, I will go where I know ,NO one will be . If there is,I will move on . I would expected the same, but like you said," cant trust " .  Pick yer poison .

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, misfish said:

If I decide to go, I will go where I know ,NO one will be . If there is,I will move on . I would expected the same, but like you said," cant trust " .  Pick yer poison .

Exactly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misfish said:

There used to be a place called Slyville,  now you make find a place called Noville, how the heck are we supposed to find it, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, porkpie said:

No they can’t because there is no travel restriction in place in Ontario.  I hauled my boat to a private launch this morning. People are making up rules here.  Go to the province of Ontario website or the OPP website if you want accurate information.  It’s far superior than internet rumours and manufactured laws.

Now what would this world be without all the misinformation.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chris J said:

Now what would this world be without all the misinformation.

You know what, your right.  All fishing is closed, it’s illegal to go outside your home.  The fine for being in a boat or on a riverbank is 1 miiiiillllion dollars!!!!  Zeeee Geshtappo vill arrest you for unlawful travel!  There that ought to do it, it’ll be a lot quieter on the water for the rest of us now!

I am still reading all the posts, but in case this point does not come up, I would like to throw this out there. I would love to be fishing as much as anyone.

Have you given thought to this:

There is way more to this than just "social distancing"! By encouraging you to STAY HOME, there is less chance that you will run into an accident or something that will force medical and other first responders to have to tend to you. The more of us that are out on the roads, the percentage of likely hood of this happening. These first responders  and hospitals are already maxed out. I know you can stay a distance from each other at the ramp and in the boat, but it is bigger than all of that.

Just Stay Home!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rattletrap2 said:

I am still reading all the posts, but in case this point does not come up, I would like to throw this out there. I would love to be fishing as much as anyone.

Have you given thought to this:

There is way more to this than just "social distancing"! By encouraging you to STAY HOME, there is less chance that you will run into an accident or something that will force medical and other first responders to have to tend to you. The more of us that are out on the roads, the percentage of likely hood of this happening. These first responders  and hospitals are already maxed out. I know you can stay a distance from each other at the ramp and in the boat, but it is bigger than all of that.

Just Stay Home!

Actually, unless things have changed in the last few days, a lot of hospitals, in this part of the world anyway, Lindsay area, are not maxed out. I have a sister that works there and she says its really nice working there right now, people are staying at home and not running to emerg for sniffles and cut fingers, the sort on non emergency stuff people always swamp the place with. Not disagreeing that first responders need to be able deal with whats important right now, but its a misconception that hospitals are swamped with covid patients. Most people are staying home to recover, only 3% of patients in the country are need of critical care to date. Unfortunately, when this is all said and done, i imagine the emerg units will return to their normal state of chaos, mostly for no reason.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, big guy said:

Actually, unless things have changed in the last few days, a lot of hospitals, in this part of the world anyway, Lindsay area, are not maxed out. I have a sister that works there and she says its really nice working there right now, people are staying at home and not running to emerg for sniffles and cut fingers, the sort on non emergency stuff people always swamp the place with. 

My daughter's been in Toronto Western Hospital  for a week now....not the virus....and she says it's unbelievably quiet in there and almost seems like there's nobody around other than medical staff.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lew said:

My daughter's been in Toronto Western Hospital  for a week now....not the virus....and she says it's unbelievably quiet in there and almost seems like there's nobody around other than medical staff.

Hope she is feeling better soon

6 hours ago, big guy said:

Actually, unless things have changed in the last few days, a lot of hospitals, in this part of the world anyway, Lindsay area, are not maxed out. I have a sister that works there and she says its really nice working there right now, people are staying at home and not running to emerg for sniffles and cut fingers, the sort on non emergency stuff people always swamp the place with. Not disagreeing that first responders need to be able deal with whats important right now, but its a misconception that hospitals are swamped with covid patients. Most people are staying home to recover, only 3% of patients in the country are need of critical care to date. Unfortunately, when this is all said and done, i imagine the emerg units will return to their normal state of chaos, mostly for no reason.

That could be misleading.  Covid patients have specfic needs such as an ICU & respirator.  Even if half there are a lot of empty beds, they may still be near capacity for the specific needs of Covid patients.

So most launches now posted as closed in my area but thankfully know a few people. Hit the lake 9 am hit 4 of my spots managed around 60 crappies today withn23 keeper water still cold at mid to high 40s and seen 4 other boats all day it was great 

• Like 2