Boat Launches Open for Fishing - Petition

RPW

Please click Here to view the petition on change.org.

Hello Everyone,

I have started a petition to try to allow boat launches to be open to people who will be fishing (with some social distancing restrictions).

I am hoping the fishing community can help obtain some signatures and share the petition.

I am not sure if this will make any difference, but it is worth a try!

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RPW said:

Please click Here to view the petition on change.org.

Hello Everyone,

I have started a petition to try to allow boat launches to be open to people who will be fishing (with some social distancing restrictions).

I am hoping the fishing community can help obtain some signatures and share the petition.

I am not sure if this will make any difference, but it is worth a try!

Thanks!

NOT A CHANCE! This defeats the STAY AT HOME so this virus doesn't spread. There will be lots of time for fishing once this is over (for those that survive it)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

NOT A CHANCE! This defeats the STAY AT HOME so this virus doesn't spread. There will be lots of time for fishing once this is over (for those that survive it)

You're definitely entitled to your opinion - but I don't see how jumping in your own boat, alone or with a family member from the same household, and going out on the water to fish is spreading the virus.

I don't see how prohibiting this is, in any way, beneficial.

Creating new (temporary) rules and regulations prohibiting multiple people, or people outside of your family from fishing together is more reasonable and understandable.

I actually see this is counterproductive as the alternative is to stay in your house and do nothing at all? How is this beneficial to our health?

Edited by RPW
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, RPW said:

You're definitely entitled to your opinion - but I don't see how jumping in your own boat, alone or with a family member from the same household, and going out on the water to fish is spreading the virus.

I don't see how prohibiting this is, in any way, beneficial.

Creating new (temporary) rules and regulations prohibiting multiple people, or people outside of your family from fishing together is more reasonable and understandable.

I actually see this is counterproductive as the alternative is to stay in your house and do nothing at all? How is this beneficial to our health?

"I actually see this is counterproductive as the alternative is to stay in your house and do nothing at all? How is this beneficial to our health?"

Because it keeps people separate where they can't spread the virus. Perhaps you're Captain Awesome, and you won't cause any sort of problem. Unfortunately, there is a large population of asshats in the world, and exceptions to rules only grant them the ability to screw everything up.

I read your petition. You're really reaching on a lot of the points you've listed. 

3 minutes ago, Ronzo said:

"I actually see this is counterproductive as the alternative is to stay in your house and do nothing at all? How is this beneficial to our health?"

Because it keeps people separate where they can't spread the virus. Perhaps you're Captain Awesome, and you won't cause any sort of problem. Unfortunately, there is a large population of asshats in the world, and exceptions to rules only grant them the ability to screw everything up.

I read your petition. You're really reaching on a lot of the points you've listed. 

Thank you for your reply Ronzo.

I do agree that there is a large portion of the population that does not take this seriously, and there are strict fines already in place for these people.

What I do not agree with is punishing those who are willing and able to follow the rules of social distancing, and want to have some way to pass the time while doing so - while maintaining personal health and bringing some food home in the process.

All of my points can be backed up by some simple research online, and they were all drawn from various sources.

The following point is directly from https://www.ontario.ca/page/fisheries-ontario

image.png.783fff3b23c6cbb7d8a42370aeb9db37.png

The following point is not from ontario.ca, but can be found from many other sources. Also, can you argue against fishing benefiting physical and mental health? 

image.png.8f6bd4315b6495a292d300c11b468d5f.png

https://www.ontarioparks.com/parksblog/health-benefits-fishing/

*****The Government of Ontario must allow boat launches to be open only to fishermen during the current global pandemic, COVID-19!*****

I can't believe you actually want the ramps open ONLY  to fishermen and nobody else.

Don't you think EVERYBODY would like the opportunity to go for a cruise on the lake to get a break from what's happening these day ?

Seems to me you somehow think your better than the family that doesn't fish but enjoys a boat ride.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lew said:

*****The Government of Ontario must allow boat launches to be open only to fishermen during the current global pandemic, COVID-19!*****

I can't believe you actually want the ramps open ONLY  to fishermen and nobody else.

Don't you think EVERYBODY would like the opportunity to go for a cruise on the lake to get a break from what's happening these day ?

Seems to me you somehow think your better than the family that doesn't fish but enjoys a boat ride.

To be honest Lew, you make a valid point, and I did not consider that. I was more thinking of the people who will launch their boat just to sit at the sandbar surrounded by others.

I guess by ensuring there is fishing equipment on board you have a better chance of limiting people from going to the local swim hole...

The problem is that YOU might follow the rules but too many others won't.  Where are you going to get gas, where are you going to get bait, tackle..... where are the others going to get their supplies?  Do you WANT to go fishing or do you NEED to go fishing? 

• Like 4

already been said multiple times...Im certain that I could go to the ramp launch my boat and maintain distance, but judging by my experience at the grocery store this week, 1 out of probably every 10 people is completely hopeless. Go and look at the ground at your local grocery store parking lot. The amount of used gloves laying around on the ground for the cart kids to pick up and expose themself too is exactly why they need to close public ramps.

Hence, one bad apple or in this case many bad apples amognst the bunch spoils the bunch!

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

Hi Cliff, I do agree that a many people won't follow the rules and fines have been set in place for this. It just needs to be enforced. As for getting gas, bait, tackle, etc. there are ways to do so with limited to no contact.

For example, a local boat ramp in my town is partly attended, they have a mini bar fridge full of bait at the ramp with a lockbox next to it and a camera aimed at it. You drop your cash in the box, take your bait, and you're on your way.

For the boat ramp they have a machine similar to a parking machine. You pay using the machine and it spits out a ticket which you place on your windshield - and there is always someone floating around monitoring the ramp who could sanitize the machine after each customer. 

As for gas, I would just pull up to the pump as I always do and gas up, then sanitize/wash my hands before I touch anything in my truck.

At some point over the next couple of months you're going to need to leave the house to do some kind of enjoyable activity.

Not to redirect your point, but I think the more critical focus should be on the list of "essential businesses", not people heading out to fish.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RPW said:

Hi Cliff, I do agree that a many people won't follow the rules and fines have been set in place for this. It just needs to be enforced. As for getting gas, bait, tackle, etc. there are ways to do so with limited to no contact.

For example, a local boat ramp in my town is partly attended, they have a mini bar fridge full of bait at the ramp with a lockbox next to it and a camera aimed at it. You drop your cash in the box, take your bait, and you're on your way.

For the boat ramp they have a machine similar to a parking machine. You pay using the machine and it spits out a ticket which you place on your windshield - and there is always someone floating around monitoring the ramp who could sanitize the machine after each customer. 

As for gas, I would just pull up to the pump as I always do and gas up, then sanitize/wash my hands before I touch anything in my truck.

At some point over the next couple of months you're going to need to leave the house to do some kind of enjoyable activity.

Not to redirect your point, but I think the more critical focus should be on the list of "essential businesses", not people heading out to fish.

so inherently what you are implying is that theres lots of "essential businesses that shouldnt be open" but the guy that has to hang out and monitor the boat ramp to save the idiots from themselves and from everyone else, while also sanitizing the boat ramp machine is essential?

If you need to get the boat out...there are many ways to do so without using a public launch. The great lakes are very very large and have plenty of shoreline that one could manage to launch a boat in if he absolutely had to. But telling everyone that the launch in barrie is open guarantees a total crap show.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

426 new cases in Ontario, the largest single day jump so far, they didn't happen because people are self isolating.  

Probably partly to do with everyone who ignored recommendations and travelled for March / Spring break.

Or the herds of people waiting outside of Costco two hours before they open.

Wonder how many of those cases were caused by someone sitting on their own in the middle of the lake fishing...

I'm just saying there are ways it can be managed. It is possible (and not very difficult) to get bait, get to the ramp, and go fishing without coming into contact with people. I think fishing is the least of our concerns when it comes to spreading this virus - and I feel that it is counterproductive to prohibit it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RPW said:

Probably partly to do with everyone who ignored recommendations and travelled for March / Spring break.

Or the herds of people waiting outside of Costco two hours before they open.

Wonder how many of those cases were caused by someone sitting on their own in the middle of the lake fishing...

I'm just saying there are ways it can be managed. It is possible (and not very difficult) to get bait, get to the ramp, and go fishing without coming into contact with people. I think fishing is the least of our concerns when it comes to spreading this virus - and I feel that it is counterproductive to prohibit it.

And you are entitled to your opinion!

31 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

But telling everyone that the launch in barrie is open guarantees a total crap show.

Hey now, 1st off it,s tight locked up still, and 2nd, well, it,s tight locked up still. You can how ever, back the boat in at the Tiffen launch and warm the motor up .

• Haha 2

This is a ridiculously selfish request...and listing the health benefits of boating is even more asinine when you compare them against the risk of contracting or spreading the virus . It's a pandemic; stay in. Let's make the HUGE sacrifice of not hobby fishing in order to possibly save people's lives. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RPW said:

image.png.86d4063a378dfcefec60a4cac7a43aed.png

image.png.1b4fce9f65f4f5059f3fb117bb19d2c7.png

image.png.2c228687ac6b5e53798766c4fdfe7bbe.png

image.png.9a72db0c8ae8e7e90728f2aa988d2df8.png

image.png.8851bdedb64edc279089d9b132cef493.png

So you found a few other people that would prefer to think of themselves rather than suffer a bit of inconvenience,  go tell that to some of the families  who have lost loved ones because of this pandemic.  

• Like 1

I don’t get some people 

what do you do while fishing, hug everyone within 40 ft of you 

I have been fishing 4 time lately and I have not stopped for gas coffee food or sex  And I have not been closer then 30 ft of anyone except driving down the road passing other cars, there was a guy at the ramp I waited on my truck till he left. As I ran down the river I saw a guy get out of his truck, he was waiting for me to leave .it is a very safe activity. If walking your dog or going to the liquor store becomes illegal then boating should be too  but when you can do things that people are standing 6 feet apart  I will fish 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3