Are you guys canning?

11 minutes ago, dave524 said:

I always put a tablespoon of that concentrate lemon juice in a quart of water bath canned  tomatoes to be on the safe side.

Actual recommendations are 2 tbs per quart. I used to use lemon juice but didn't care for the taste in my tomato sauce so I switched to citric acid. I/2 tsp per quart and zero flavour change.

5 hours ago, ketchenany said:

You can’t can peppers! You roast  this and freeze them OR roast them, fix them with oil, garlic, parsley, jar them and boil bath! Last for years. 

wine vinegar is good, did you sell it? In the last 17 years I made 15L :)

When I say canning I'm talking about roasting them and jarring. Dad had a mini cask that everyone's wine vinegar came out of. Yes he saved much of the bad wine to top up the cask. He brought the "Mother seed" back with him on the plane from Italy in the 70's. That stuff was the best ever. Unfortunately the cask went dry and the vinegar was never the same again. I gave it to a pals son. He's not 30 yet and is carrying on all his families Italian traditions. Right down to the Lions next to the driveway and the big fountain in the back yard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

When I say canning I'm talking about roasting them and jarring. Dad had a mini cask that everyone's wine vinegar came out of. Yes he saved much of the bad wine to top up the cask. He brought the "Mother seed" back with him on the plane from Italy in the 70's. That stuff was the best ever. Unfortunately the cask went dry and the vinegar was never the same again. I gave it to a pals son. He's not 30 yet and is carrying on all his families Italian traditions. Right down to the Lions next to the driveway and the big fountain in the back yard. 

Yes JD home made vinegar is the best, that’s what I do just top it off, but not much or it becomes weak. 
Roasted papers have been my favourite for many years and make it a point at least one bushel a year..

1 hour ago, mamona said:

Wow, roasted peppers? Roasted how? And why?

WHY: they taste good, freeze even better, fix and jar them, last for years if you do it right.

HOW: early September- October — Sheppard are the best (long ones) I’ve also done orange or yellow. On May BBQ roast until charred all around DON’T over cook, better less than more. Let cool. 
1) remove the stem and squeeze out water, seed and remove the burnt skin, pack and freeze for one meal I do 4-5 per bag.

2) as above but don’t remove the skin until ready to eat. Note they have to be washed and any remaining seeds removed before eating.
Fixing them:  rip into pieces grain wise, add oil, salt and parsley and garlic, done.

IF you want to jar them use the fixing method; fill the jar and top off with some oil, close jars and give them a boil for about 15 minutes and ready to store. I use small mason jars. refrigerate what we don’t eat.

Here is another pepper thing.

slice Sheppard peppers lengthwise in to strips so they fit into a mason jar pack it tight with cloves of garlic at the bottom.

boil vinegar and water I did 3 part vinegar to one part water. Was bit strong. Fill jar  with hot liquid and close jar turn upside down and let cool. jars will vacuum seal. 

will be ready to eat in a month or so. I have two jars that are 5 years old.  :) 

2 hours ago, ketchenany said:

WHY: they taste good, freeze even better, fix and jar them, last for years if you do it right.

It,s hard enough already getting peppers in the fall as you know, yet you want to share ? LMAO

• 1 month later...

I spend a couple days  at end of summer canning my own tomatoes, dill picles, and hot peppers (reapers and scorpion) I also ferment my hot peppers to make hot sauce. Fermented foods are very good for you. Making your own green relish for the year is so easy and tastes way better then the store relish. I use the hot bath method and really need to get a pressure cooker one of these days. 

23 minutes ago, mamona said:

All I did so far is canning meat and pate. I've tried my grandparents recipes for a first time ever.
As a result my family gave me permission for production.

Be advised , I had a lot of old 50's vintage canning books and hand written recipes, some of those recipes and methods are no longer Ag Canada/USDA  approved . But then again I am still here 🤣

3 hours ago, mamona said:

All I did so far is canning meat and pate. I've tried my grandparents recipes for a first time ever.
As a result my family gave me permission for production.

canning01.jpg.4ece596cc456b663bb2ce0f55b5bd20d.jpg

canning02.jpg.1907843210627e1e02f087402f8df74e.jpg

I have to ask, is that sort of like head cheese or spam?  Looks good.

Simple version
pork neck - 1.5kg
pork shoulder - 0.5kg
raw bacon (no skin) - 1kg

Salt - 1.8 % (no Cure just salt)
Black pepper - 0.2 %
Red ground pepper - 0.1 %
Marjoram - 0.05 %
Onion flakes - 0.25%
Water - 20%
Potato starch - 3%

Grind using 5mm plate. Mix all together. Fill jars compacting as possible, leaving around 1/2" space on top of jar.
Rim of jar should be very clean before placing a cover plate (Mason jars). Then follow a manual for the canner.

You can cure the meat for 2 days before canning.
Possibilities are endless. You can use any meat, depends on your liking. I am finding that adding more fatty meat makes final result a bit tastier.

11 minutes ago, mamona said:

Simple version
pork neck - 1.5kg
pork shoulder - 0.5kg
raw bacon (no skin) - 1kg

Salt - 1.8 % (no Cure just salt)
Black pepper - 0.2 %
Red ground pepper - 0.1 %
Marjoram - 0.05 %
Onion flakes - 0.25%
Water - 20%
Potato starch - 3%

Grind using 5mm plate. Mix all together. Fill jars compacting as possible, leaving around 1/2" space on top of jar.
Rim of jar should be very clean before placing a cover plate (Mason jars). Then follow a manual for the canner.

You can cure the meat for 2 days before canning.
Possibilities are endless. You can use any meat, depends on your liking. I am finding that adding more fatty meat makes final result a bit tastier.

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how do you measure the stuff that is expressed as percentages?

Doug

2 hours ago, mamona said:

@akaShag I am using regular kitchen scale with tare function.

I sum up meat amount, in this case 3000g. If I want to know how much I need salt for example, then I do 3000x1.8% = 54g
I hope that helps.

OK.  I guess I am old-fashioned and use teaspoons, tablespoons, and cups, etc etc.  The only scale I have that is capable of that kind of precision is the one I use for loading ammunition.  😉

• Haha 1