Social distancing and Fishing

huzzsaba

I have been hearing opp and local police are pulling people over and asking their intentions of being out.  Anything non essential and there is risk of being fined.  Not sure how true this is, but what does this mean for shore fishing?

Innisfil has closed all parks  so boat ramps are closed , all shore fishing spots are concerned parks here so no fishing. All the shore fishing spots in Keswick along the canals are closed 

not looking good. 

Gonna be a real rough summer if we can't at least go fishing to get away a little bit... I suppose it's what we have to do. I would have thought that would be good for social distancing, but I guess people will travel with their boat, meet at the launch and grab bait and food, so more spread.

2 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

What I don't get is why so many people seem to want to test the limits. This virus doesn't spread all by itself, it only spreads when people move!

One of our area grocery chains has started posting a list of stores that employees have tested positive, they also have gas stations, so you just never know where the person in front of you has been or had contact with. We can't seem to keep our own medical professionals safe, and people are still taking chances?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, irishfield said:

Yep on both cases. It's gonna get crazier than it already is. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/03/31/drew-griffin-coronavirus-early-testing-we-blew-it-sot-ctn-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/

It sounds like it could become the new normal? We aren't anywhere near over this round and they expect a return in the fall? Will it need different shots every year like the flu? I expect so?

1 hour ago, RPW said:

Hello All,

Not sure if it will make a difference or not, but I've started a petition to allow boat launches open for fishermen - it is worth a try!

Please show your support by Signing and Sharing! Petition to Doug Ford: Ontario Boat Launches Open to Fishermen.

NOT A CHANCE! This defeats the STAY AT HOME so this virus doesn't spread. There will be lots of time for fishing once this is over (for those that survive it)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

NOT A CHANCE! This defeats the STAY AT HOME so this virus doesn't spread. There will be lots of time for fishing once this is over (for those that survive it)

You're definitely entitled to your opinion - but I don't see how jumping in your own boat, alone or with a family member from the same household, and going out on the water to fish is spreading the virus.

I don't see how prohibiting this is, in any way, beneficial.

Creating new (temporary) rules and regulations prohibiting multiple people, or people outside of your family from fishing together is more reasonable and understandable.

I actually see this is counterproductive as the alternative is to stay in your house and do nothing at all? Drink? Eat? Sleep?

How is this beneficial to our health?

Edited by RPW
  • Like 1

I'm kinda on the fence with the boat launches and fishing thing, I understand how they want to limit contact. But I just read a good comment on the fishing petition, one lady said that her husband fishes a lot during the year and they depend on the food that he brings home. There are a few good points in that petition also.

• Like 2

I went ice fishing to a back lake with a friend a couple days ago. We both agreed to keep our distance and did, but there was definitely a chance for transmission. 

We shared 1 axe (auger), minnow bucket, ladle (scoop), I borrowed a hook, we passed close to each other a few times on the trail and around the campfire. 

I don't like rules, but to help the politicians mitigate the problem they created out of ineptitude and incompetence, I'm going solo until this pandemic subsides

• Like 2

I went camping this past weekend.  My GF and I.   And we where joined by a very close couple to us.  Basically family. 

Drove up in separate vehicles.   Obviously had separate canoes.   Separate tents, chairs, etc...   We did a pretty good job at social distancing really.  The only thing that we did that was "bad" was play a game of cards.

I normally don't go camping this early.  But I honestly think they will close or restrict all crown land for the summer and start ticketing everyone they see with a canoe on their car roof.  So I wanted to get a camp in before that insanity starts!! 

6 minutes ago, glen said:

It’s odd that they wouldn’t stop the virus from flying in to Canada but they will stop you from going out of your house.  

Nobody is stopping you from going out of your house, they're just telling you to be sensible about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glen said:

i went to the grocery store parking lot and sat there for an hour. I didn’t leave my car.    I watched the people coming to get food.  
  Don’t worry the virus is going to keep spreading.   

I watched a guy come out of the grocery store, I guess the mask he was wearing was itchy because he immediately yanked off his mask and began scratching around his mouth, lol