Trailer brake questions

b_cdot

Just got my new boat in the driveway a few days ago. I realized the breakaway cable was snapped. Has anyone replaced one of these on a ranger trailer before? Is it a pain in the a$$? I'm guessing it is. Also when I hook the trailer up to truck I thought I would be able to control my trailer brake tension through the truck controls but it is saying that nothing is connected. Is this trailer just surge brake equipped? It is a trailer for a 2019 ranger 621. Talked to previous owner said he had no issues with brakes other than the snapped break away cable. Even if anyone can just explain the difference between trailers with brakes that can be adjusted through the truck and brakes that arent. I've connected utility trailers to the truck before and it had the option to adjust tension, my last boat was a 19 foot lund and there was no option to adjust brakes through the truck. Thanks

Sounds like it has surge brakes.

Here's a link to a Ranger 2015 manual.

Trailer stuff starts on page 35.

The break away cable should be able to be replaced.

Might need to dig into it to find out how.

https://www.rangerboats.com/content/dam/wrmg-general-assets/web/ranger/owners'-manuals/2015 owners manual alum.pdf

Before my 'work' closed we would safety trailers as a add on to what other items we did at the shop (general car shop).  I wasn't a tech but my guys had me order the items they needed to fix things for a safety.  A Breakaway trailer switch is only like $15 at CarQuest and places like it.  And it's easy to replace.  

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/NUP89102

Only I think he has surge brakes not electric and for them cable is just a piece of cable with a hook on it that you hook on the safety chain.

it just pulls on the brake piston and  puts the brake on no electrical needed 

a  a couple of bucks for the cable and hook 

Honest mistake. I thought this trailer had electric brakes. It all makes sense now. Just reading a couple threads online saying for this particular trailer redoing the break away is a bit time consuming but it can be done. Thanks for the comments. 

Surge brakes you can see the slot on side of trailer touge.

Electric brakes are activated by brake lights.  

If you look under where cable safety cable goes theirs a little C clip with metal ball , if this is intact just lengthen cable  and attach to safety chain.

Your cable needs to be shorter than safety chains. 

So easy to post a picture here.. take a picture of your trailer tongue. That said... no wires into your trailer drums = surge brakes. Bet they're discs too..

That said, both F150's I've had still let me enter a trailer to log km's on it and allow the trailer tow mode to work correctly and "engine brake" coming down hills. The "trailer not connected" warning is simply no detection of electric brakes.

Edited by irishfield

9 hours ago, Garnet said:

Surge brakes you can see the slot on side of trailer touge.

Electric brakes are activated by brake lights.  

If you look under where cable safety cable goes theirs a little C clip with metal ball , if this is intact just lengthen cable  and attach to safety chain.

Your cable needs to be shorter than safety chains. 

Good point about the length of of the break away cable.

Resized_20200329_115804.jpeg

6 hours ago, irishfield said:

So easy to post a picture here.. take a picture of your trailer tongue. That said... no wires into your trailer drums = surge brakes. Bet they're discs too..

That said, both F150's I've had still let me enter a trailer to log km's on it and allow the trailer tow mode to work correctly and "engine brake" coming down hills. The "trailer not connected" warning is simply no detection of electric brakes.

yes they are disc brakes and I know now about telling the diff between electric and surge....kind of new with all this stuff. I was always under the impression that the Ranger trailers were electric brakes. Obviously my assumption was wrong.