Browns in Lake O Anyone fishing yet?

Old Ironmaker

Is it a bit too early? Has anyone gone out for them yet? I am getting very antsy. It's been 2 years since I had my boat in the water and need to get out on the water ASAP. I was thinking the 1st hunt would be out of Jordan Harbour. Fish Farmer you out there? Fish Farmer come in please. 

Johnny D/Selkirk ON. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Is it a bit too early? Has anyone gone out for them yet? I am getting very antsy. It's been 2 years since I had my boat in the water and need to get out on the water ASAP. I was thinking the 1st hunt would be out of Jordan Harbour. Fish Farmer you out there? Fish Farmer come in please. 

Johnny D/Selkirk ON. 

No I didn't get out Johnny. Going to giver a go next week if they'll be a calm day. Jordan looks like the spot.

12 minutes ago, Fish Farmer said:

No I didn't get out Johnny. Going to giver a go next week if they'll be a calm day. Jordan looks like the spot.

Thanks Dave, I know you mentioned you were going to wet the boat ASAP. 

Are all the usual suspects here this evening? It's the silly season for us, no ice fishing and early for the open water. The lake here has been like a sheet of glass for a few weeks now. I know there are Perch out here but where? All the usual spots we used to fish for them after ice out have been barren for years. Locals tell me they used to fill a bucket of Jumbos before they went to work or after work at the ends of the creeks. Getting Emerald Shinners is a must for them, in my books anyway. Guys tell me they only use rubber for perch here. I don't know about that. Finding shinners is tough. I'll ask Richard M. if he's been out in the bait boat yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Piggott said:

Bites good pick up some kings browns and lakers

Fined any good jiggin spots Steve like the one off Grimsby a few years back. Man that was crazy for awhile.

Since you talked me into a Ipilot I've been doing good Jiggin Walleye on Erie, plus it's a good Perch weapon👍😃 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

I think a lot of the boat launches are closed.  The driveway is gated at Whitby.  I understand that the bluffers launches are closed.  I'd like to get out, but that may not be feasible.

Whitby doesn't open until April 15th..   Frenchmans is open, Jordan is, St.Catharines is, etc etc.  

24 minutes ago, BillM said:

Whitby doesn't open until April 15th..   Frenchmans is open, Jordan is, St.Catharines is, etc etc.  

Thanks, I will check back in mid-April then.  I was hoping to use Ashbridges; but I assume that it is closed.  

8 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Since you talked me into a Ipilot I've been doing good Jiggin Walleye on Erie, plus it's a good Perch weapon👍😃 

We are in the market for a new troller. There are so many units to choose from it can be intimidating. If I'm going to spend a small fortune on one I want it to be the right one. Do you recommend the ipilot Dave? I know you would have done your homework before you slapped all that coin down. Jigging for Walleye here on Erie is a lot more enjoyable then trolling any day. I dislike trolling with a passion. I have tried jigging for them on bottom and have caught a few but staying on a pod of fish is difficult to say the least with the strong currents and even light winds. That and it can be a pain anchoring for perch and constantly pulling it to move and follow the herd rather than sitting in 1 spot waiting for them to come to us. 

You didn’t ask me, but I’ve used both minn kota and motorguide GPS units over the past 6 seasons.  If I had to settle on 1 I’d buy a minn kota terrova.  I like the look of the auto deploy units and I’m sure it’d be great but I don’t want to deal with the potential of failure.  The motorguide was ok but I prefer the terrova all things being equal. The one thing I will say is if my motor crapped out tomorrow I’d buy another one immediately.  That’s how important it’s become to my fishing. Just my 2 cents.  

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, porkpie said:

You didn’t ask me, but I’ve used both minn kota and motorguide GPS units over the past 6 seasons.  If I had to settle on 1 I’d buy a minn kota terrova.  I like the look of the auto deploy units and I’m sure it’d be great but I don’t want to deal with the potential of failure.  The motorguide was ok but I prefer the terrova all things being equal. The one thing I will say is if my motor crapped out tomorrow I’d buy another one immediately.  That’s how important it’s become to my fishing. Just my 2 cents.  

OK lets presume I have asked everyone. Thank you for the input porkpie. Let the confusion commence. Does the terrova have the anchor lock feature?  That's more important for me than the auto deploy but that would be nice for my broken back. I should start a new thread. 

23 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

OK lets presume I have asked everyone. Thank you for the input porkpie. Let the confusion commence. Does the terrova have the anchor lock feature?  That's more important for me than the auto deploy but that would be nice for my broken back. I should start a new thread. 

Yes the Terrova has Spot Lock it's called, Get the 24 volt 80 lb. 60" shaft.

I know it's expensive. A buddy of mine is getting the Power Drive it's cheaper and it apparently has Spot Luck only 70 LB.

He bought it at Bill's Bait.

I am old school and still use a long rope and anchor . It,s called anchor lock by the pilot . It has auto retrieve. I just pull it up and go when I auto move . Sometimes I just look at the gps,power the motor and move .When I get to said location, I just let the anchor flow til I stop . It,s hit and miss sometimes,but I am mostly on my spot .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Johnny D/Selkirk ON. 

Is it trolling only for these? I don't have deep diving trolling rigs. 

12 minutes ago, Tjames09 said:

No need to troll deep for browns in the spring.  I use planner boards and want those baits in 8-20ft of water maybe 5-10ft down.   Long leads leads in the spring and flatlining works just fine, who knows what you'll get out there (lakers, kings, browns, etc) 

You can always cast as well.

Edited by BillM

5 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

I have all the stuff to troll deep but I know you don't have to go deep in the spring. We did well casting at 50 Point anywhere we could cast from shore actually, even the pier under the Burlington Skyway. 

6 hours ago, misfish said:

I am old school and still use a long rope and anchor . It,s called anchor lock by the pilot . It has auto retrieve. I just pull it up and go when I auto move . Sometimes I just look at the gps,power the motor and move .When I get to said location, I just let the anchor flow til I stop . It,s hit and miss sometimes,but I am mostly on my spot .

I have the same set up as yours Brian. I always let my guests have the bow seat. 

7 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Yes the Terrova has Spot Lock it's called, Get the 24 volt 80 lb. 60" shaft.

I know it's expensive. A buddy of mine is getting the Power Drive it's cheaper and it apparently has Spot Luck only 70 LB.

He bought it at Bill's Bait.

Thanks for the info Dave. I went online today and priced some US units. Not much savings at all. I know they ain't cheap but I'm thinking about all the money I'm saving not going out every day blowing it on stuff I don't need. I was digging around one of the sheds today and realized I have a 1/2 dozen rods and reels in there I may have used once, maybe. I got my longline trolling hardware out the other day to clean and sharpen hooks. I'd say there is about 600 bucks in body baits and spoons in it. Heck the box was $100.00  from Bill's Bait. About a dozen I haven't taken out of the package and I would say with taxes the average price is 14 bucks. If I see anything on sale I might use I buy more than a few. 

14 hours ago, misfish said:

Bro your to much buddy👍:thumbsup_anim:😁 I had the same set up all my life as yours.👍😃 And it worked just fine.

Crazy how things change. A friend that had the spot lock Terrova before me, I hope hes going to read this, because it was him that talked me into one in 85 FOW one day was jiggin lake Trout in Lake O. I think he'd said he was up to almost 50 in a few hours on the spot he was jiggin. When I first saw him at a distance thought he was in trouble because I saw his arms moving, moving all right, hauling fish in none stop. I tried to stay with him and jig with my transon mount 30 what a joke, motor in one hand and rod in the other trying stay with him in that area, lakers were stacked, I caught one and he was hauling them in.

I went home and had to tell the wife about my day and the reason I had to treat myself to this thing that makes you catch more fish:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:😇😁, I think you know that look on a womans face😏😏plus I told her it would be easier on my buddy sitting infront of the boat on the anchor rope and were in 70 FOW and I tell him were moving every 10 mins. I think you now what used to be my buddy told me😡😡😁. Told her it was only a few bucks😇😇😉😃.

Steve hope your reading this buddy.:thumbsup_anim:😁

OH and my used to be buddy is back sitting infront of the boat:thumbsup_anim:😁

Edited by Fish Farmer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, John Bacon said:

I think a lot of the boat launches are closed.  The driveway is gated at Whitby.  I understand that the bluffers launches are closed.  I'd like to get out, but that may not be feasible.

You really want to be on the south shore actually this time of year.

16 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I have all the stuff to troll deep but I know you don't have to go deep in the spring. We did well casting at 50 Point anywhere we could cast from shore actually, even the pier under the Burlington Skyway. 

I have the same set up as yours Brian. I always let my guests have the bow seat. 

Thanks for the info Dave. I went online today and priced some US units. Not much savings at all. I know they ain't cheap but I'm thinking about all the money I'm saving not going out every day blowing it on stuff I don't need. I was digging around one of the sheds today and realized I have a 1/2 dozen rods and reels in there I may have used once, maybe. I got my longline trolling hardware out the other day to clean and sharpen hooks. I'd say there is about 600 bucks in body baits and spoons in it. Heck the box was $100.00  from Bill's Bait. About a dozen I haven't taken out of the package and I would say with taxes the average price is 14 bucks. If I see anything on sale I might use I buy more than a few. 

I think the terrova is around 3k. Its not a cheap unit. 

3K. That's a lot of money for a tool. And it is a fishing tool. If it saves me only 1 time laying flat on my back in bed for 2 days unable to crawl to the toilet it's worth it. I have 2 crushed Lumbar and 2 crushed Cervical vertebrae. That's on top of this type of arthritis I have where chips of calcium slough off ligaments and get jammed in my hips, back and knees. A few months ago my Rheumatologist drained 80 mg of synovial fluid from my right knee. That was fun. I can't pull an anchor 5  feet let alone 80. I can only buy 12 packs of Beer, I can't carry a 24 without my back telling me not to. So $3000.00 so I can fish is worth every penny to me. Look how much money I have saved not fishing in the last 2 years and I didn't do much 3 years ago either. About 3 grand just for a slip. I'm not looking for any sympathy because there is always someone that is far worse off. But I just want to show how I justify such an expense. I told Tich they are a grand! 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1