Covid 19--Staying safe

For public door handles, pumping gas etc

1. Use disposable (nitrile) gloves if you can find them

2. If not, use doggy poop bags
  3. No Lysol wipes? Saturate a rag with Lysol or bleach, put it in a baggie and use it for pumping gas etc.
  4. Don't pick up your mail unless you must.

Disclaimer---Will not work for everybody in all situations. Rather than pick holes in this, pls offer alternative suggestions.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I got an courier delivery yesterday.

I wiped down the box with a paper towel soaked with isopropyl alcohol before opening it.

Then washed my hands again. 

I have a box of nitrile gloves and masks in the vehicle.

Been doing the same . Some thought it was silly . Not I says I . Even the package inside got a wipe down .

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, misfish said:

Been doing the same . Some thought it was silly . Not I says I . Even the package inside got a wipe down .

I didn't worry about that because it was in transit for nearly 10 days. Long after the virus can live out in the open.

Good thing is I have liters of first run hi test alcohol off my alcohol makin' 'quipment fer disinfecting stuff.  ;)

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Spraying the outside of my community mail box with Lysol.. opening our door and soaking the mail and slot before I take it out and into a bag. Sprayed again at home and left to sit for a few hours before I open the friggin bills to see how deep this hole will go...

Not a bad thing IMHO.. considering 13 Postal workers down east are suspect with one positive after all attending a funeral together!

and FYI David, virus was still live in cabins on the cruise boat 17 days after the last person disembarked.

Edited by irishfield

I've been spraying everything with Spray 9 cleaner of which I have a few gallons. Anything that will take paint off a wall should be good enough. I also have about 12 spray bottles of Lysol Toilet Bowl cleaner. I use it to clean the gung off the hull of the boat. I'm sure it is better than just soap and water. So I use it AND soap and water. We were out yesterday. I was conscientious when I went in and out of CTc while my wife went into the grocery store, no need for us both going in anywhere. It's not easy to keep hands from touching things one shouldn't. I wore gardening gloves, how do I take the contaminated gloves off without touching them with bare hands? Use other gloves to take off gloves I guess. That's a lot of gloves. I was told by a Doc on CBC that washing non disposable gloves in the washing machine with hot water is fine. It was by coincidence that I bought a  dozen pairs of gardening gloves with rubber dimples on the palms last month for a buck each. My wife is constantly loosing her gardening gloves and I like them fishing in colder weather.  Who knew? 

21 hours ago, ketchenany said:

Great to use disposable gloves, I do but when done I take them home and dispose of them in my garbage. In have ventured out and the parking lots are covered with them. What are people thinking? morons! 

Sadly they are thinking of themselves, someone is going to have to pick up those gloves at some point. It's the old "as long as it isn't me" attitude. Too many people just aren't taking this seriously but they will be the first ones to cry when a loved one dies from this. Breaks my heart to see some of the things going on around us today.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

. Too many people just aren't taking this seriously 

Too true.I have posted sensible advice and msgs about quarantine etc on our local(very active) FB page and get get the odd A-hat reacting with laughing emojis. I ask them to come on and explain exactly what it is they find funny---nor response of course. Those people are the ones who will make this disaster worse, IMO.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 5:05 PM, irishfield said:

and FYI David, virus was still live in cabins on the cruise boat 17 days after the last person disembarked.

I read that too. It’s worth noting that it was only in the cabins that had not yet been disinfected, and not in the already-disinfected cabins, so it sure sounds like our efforts to disinfect, sanitize, and hand-wash might indeed be very important for our own safety.

It stated that remnants of the virus were found in the cabins of people that had tested positive through nasopharyngeal swab, including positive-testers that had been asymptomatic. That would seem to support the stance that infected asymptomatic people can shed the virus.

Important to remember we've never really had to deal with anything this life altering. Be as polite and as cordial as possible in educating the idiots among us as they just don't know any better.  And if you need a target of blame, look to the East at the Chinese govt and no further. They're the only reason we're in this predicament. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Just got back from a trip to the grocery store. I watched a women grab EVERY orange in the rack, squeeze them then put them back. She's lucky to have survived our encounter.

HH

We didn't buy a single veggie or fruit that isn't already bagged like apples and oranges. Same for bread in paper bags. I miss my Italian and French fresh baked bread. I'm not supposed to eat it anyway. It's nearly impossible to keep hands sterile unless you don't leave your home. Other than take the garbage out I haven't left our place since Monday. But we have to try our best. 

We have our place on the market. Talked to our agent last evening and the changes for viewings is logical. We had to fill out a form stating many things including we haven't come in contact with anyone  that has the virus that we are aware of, we don't feel ill, haven't been out of the country in the past month and must wipe down all handles, light switches. No more than 3 in the place at a time and they also have to meet the same criteria as the sellers and not touch anything. We are OK not letting anyone come in our place for the near future. A buyer may be one of the idiots out there. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 3:58 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

We didn't buy a single veggie or fruit that isn't already bagged like apples and oranges. Same for bread in paper bags.

We have enough of a head start on pantry type stuff that we can put it in quarantine for a couple of weeks if we need to.