Port Dover Pier Barricaded, Looks like they took it down

Fish Farmer

If it wasn't shut down guys would be inches from each other.  Happens every year.  Glad my county is stepping up.  Only ones that are missing out are the birds.  Several times fishing there I would look back and see a seagull with his face right in my minnow bucket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LostAnotherOne said:

If it wasn't shut down guys would be inches from each other.  Happens every year.  Glad my county is stepping up.  Only ones that are missing out are the birds.  Several times fishing there I would look back and see a seagull with his face right in my minnow bucket.

Thanks for stating  the facts. We don’t need to fish for a short term in congested places.

If we overcome this  we will enjoy the sport later and our wildlife will recover also.

From what I have read/seen being locked up. They had fish in the canals of Venice and less air pollution  in a lot of other places. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, misfish said:

Hey bye . How you healing up ?

Is the pier damaged ? Or is a gathering spot for perching ?

Leg is starting to heal bro, did the crutch thing for a day but didn't like that so just hobbling around now.

Ya that pier can get busy once the perch come in, plus they have a perch derby there but I'm thinking it'll be canceled.

Fished there a couple hours today and only 1 Gobbie caught.😪😃

On 3/24/2020 at 10:25 PM, Fish Farmer said:

Leg is starting to heal bro, did the crutch thing for a day but didn't like that so just hobbling around now.

Ya that pier can get busy once the perch come in, plus they have a perch derby there but I'm thinking it'll be canceled.

Fished there a couple hours today and only 1 Gobbie caught.😪😃

What did you do?  I have a few sets of crutches and 5 different canes you can choose from. One is made of wood, circa 1950's. The walker I still need. 

About 18 years ago they posted that pier "NO FISHING" with a warning of a big fine. Most piers are owned by the Feds not the province or county. I got everyone so worked up sending emails to every politician plus an actual protest that brought out a few dozen fisherfolks they took the signs down. Now is a great time for perch there. I once caught a baby perch with a piece of line and a dried up worm on it attached to a twig. Behind the Coast Guard station is a great spot too, if they haven't put a fence up and I think they did fence it off. That's where we caught emerald shinners too, right next to the fuel pumps. I got my personal best Perch still fishing from the boat in the channel to the marina close to the Coast Guard station, 13" in the dead of summer. 

There used to be an elderly lady , late 70's or in her 80's that went each and every day. She had a small shopping cart full of her  weapons of mass perch destruction WMPD's. Rain or shine every day. I made the mistake one day and asked her how she was making out. I can't exactly recall her exact words but it was clear I was bothering her and not G rated. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

What did you do?  I have a few sets of crutches and 5 different canes you can choose from. One is made of wood, circa 1950's. The walker I still need. 

About 18 years ago they posted that pier "NO FISHING" with a warning of a big fine. Most piers are owned by the Feds not the province or county. I got everyone so worked up sending emails to every politician plus an actual protest that brought out a few dozen fisherfolks they took the signs down. Now is a great time for perch there. I once caught a baby perch with a piece of line and a dried up worm on it attached to a twig. Behind the Coast Guard station is a great spot too, if they haven't put a fence up and I think they did fence it off. That's where we caught emerald shinners too, right next to the fuel pumps. I got my personal best Perch still fishing from the boat in the channel to the marina close to the Coast Guard station, 13" in the dead of summer. 

There used to be an elderly lady , late 70's or in her 80's that went each and every day. She had a small shopping cart full of her  weapons of mass perch destruction WMPD's. Rain or shine every day. I made the mistake one day and asked her how she was making out. I can't exactly recall her exact words but it was clear I was bothering her and not G rated. 

I broke through the ice at shore walking off pulling my portable, went into about 4' of water. When I went down felt something pop in my leg.

When I crawled out I couldn't put any pressure on my leg, I was a mess, soaked and could hardly walk, make a short story a guy and his wife came to my rescue and helped me get my stuff in my truck.

Went to hospital next day and with this virus thing, emerg was lined up out the door so I went back home. Next day early morning got in about an hour. Doc said I ripped a muscle in my upper leg, going to heal in about 6 weeks or more. Doc told me to stay off the ice, must have talked to my wife because she gives me crap, grow up your 71 and not a kid anymore.😢😊 Good job I have trouble hearing😁.

The kids got me some crotches I used them for a day and had enough of them, I just hobbled around. Legs coming around now, just limping. Thanks for the offer Johnny I'm on the mend.👍

Getting the boat ready now, hoping to get out and chase some Browns on L. Ont. :thumbsup_anim: 

Edited by Fish Farmer

28 minutes ago, misfish said:

And being the nice guy he is, he never blamed me,,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck with the browns bud .:good:

Never bro,👍 it's the stubborn thing, my bad😇😊 I think Glenn was the only one that got off dry😃 He left just after you Brian, he went off down shore a ways. I stayed for a few more hours.😃

That sucks Dave. 20 years ago you would have jumped out of the water, changed clothes and went back fishing. I need a dolly now to move a 20 lt gas can 20 feet. I can do everything I did 20 years ago but now I might be in bed for 2 days because I can't walk .I crushed no less than 4 vertebrae in my lower back and neck in the last 3 years and constantly getting calcium chips in my large joints when I over do it.  Be safe and smart. Don't push it or you might not be able to go ice fishing in the future, or any fishing. I have been out exactly once fishing in the last 2 years. This getting old sucks.