My bucket trip challenge post

gordy28

Thanks for the mention Andrew.

Don't imagine anyone would ever be disappointed having the Sutton atop their fishing bucketlist.  That trip sat at the very top of mine for years and I know some other anglers, likely Mike, Bill, and Bradley here at OFC included, who would agree it's difficult to find a better truly rugged, outdoors fishing trip experience.

6 hours ago, Moosebunk said:

Thanks for the mention Andrew.

Don't imagine anyone would ever be disappointed having the Sutton atop their fishing bucketlist.  That trip sat at the very top of mine for years and I know some other anglers, likely Mike, Bill, and Bradley here at OFC included, who would agree it's difficult to find a better truly rugged, outdoors fishing trip experience.

No worries at all Bunk, reading all of your great writing over the years was definitely a motivator for me to do some of my own

I hear you - I kind of circled so many trips thinking about it but came back to the Sutton trip - re its probably within my capabilities (I think) but also truly epic and something totally out of my comfort zone

Cheers

Andrew

I see you'd like to do an RV trip to Alaska (after you are 50, you young pup!😉)

I hunted and fished my way from southeastern Ontario to the Yukon and back in 2011, and did the same, but to the west coast of Vancouver Island and back in 2016.  Both solo trips, with my Ford F-250 and truck camper.  Both were exceptional trips, and I might yet do it once more.  The Yukon is spectacular, as are the parts of Alaska that I have visited.

Doug

Sutton is an amazing place.  Absolutely without a doubt it's the best 12 days of fishing I've ever had.   You gotta do it, it really isn't all that rugged to be honest.    I'd want to go on a high water year though,  some of those 3ft gravel runs we fished were just unbelievable  I can't imagine doing that again and having to drag the canoe over that stuff, lol

10 hours ago, akaShag said:

I see you'd like to do an RV trip to Alaska (after you are 50, you young pup!😉)

I hunted and fished my way from southeastern Ontario to the Yukon and back in 2011, and did the same, but to the west coast of Vancouver Island and back in 2016.  Both solo trips, with my Ford F-250 and truck camper.  Both were exceptional trips, and I might yet do it once more.  The Yukon is spectacular, as are the parts of Alaska that I have visited.

Doug

Lol - not sure I classify myself as young

Doug - when life seems less chaotic we need to chat - I spend a ton of time researching and dreaming about going across North America in some form of an RV w my kayak and dog.  I mentally debate all the time would I haul a small trailer, go with a small Class C or Class B RV or is a Truck Camper right for me.  In my dreams my blog or writing skills allow me to make some cash on this little sojourn.  

Waiting till over 50 or older is about getting some money banked, children off to University and all of that!  But I want to do it

9 hours ago, BillM said:

Sutton is an amazing place.  Absolutely without a doubt it's the best 12 days of fishing I've ever had.   You gotta do it, it really isn't all that rugged to be honest.    I'd want to go on a high water year though,  some of those 3ft gravel runs we fished were just unbelievable  I can't imagine doing that again and having to drag the canoe over that stuff, lol

Good to know Bill - its definitely going to be a savings goal. Quit smoking 7 months ago and I have been trying to put aside the money I have been saving for something extravagant when I hit 2 year - maybe its the Sutton

I have been retired since 2003, so work did not get in the way.  I have pulled a tent trailer and a travel trailer, and I have driven (and owned) a class C motor home.  For me, a truck camper is the best way for a solo trip, just as long as the truck has four wheel drive and enough power to haul the camper as if it is not there.

I wrote blogs on both trips.  Not sure where the 2011 blog went, but here is the 2016 version:

http://gwrt2016.blogspot.com/

Read it in chronological order to make the best sense of it......

I have no idea if writing can pay for such a trip.  Based on what I used to get for Ontario Fisherman articles back in the day, I am guessing that writing might pay some beer money but not much else.  But who knows, it is a different world out there these days.

Doug

On 3/25/2020 at 11:15 AM, BillM said:

You gotta do it, it really isn't all that rugged to be honest.  

You know, Bill's right!

Really, no portages is a pro.

Weather is weather regardless.

Other people travel the river so there's more safety in that.

Think maybe I just found it a bit more rugged than usual cause I lost like 12-14 pounds in as many days.  You're working out there... and eating less junk too.  No Netflix either.