• Working from home
    • Staying home but still being paid
    • Staying home but not being paid
    • One parent staying home to watch children
    • Retired and staying around the house
    • Getting in a lot of fishing
    • Other
    • Doing the same thing I always did

Wife & I are both retired with 4  good pensions coming in monthly and we don't owe a cent to anyone so we're fortunate that we don't have the money worries that so many across the country are already having or will be soon with the 1000's of unexpected lay-offs and I feel very sorry for so many of them and hopefully it doesn't last too long.

We also live in the country so not as many people to avoid like in the urban areas.

I consider us lucky.

• Like 1

50% of those that answered are retired and staying home. I knew there were a few old foggies here but not 1/2. 

Geoff if you are home and not getting paid apply for E.I. now. I'm sure they are flushed with applications and they are slow getting paper work done in normal times. 

I have to remind anyone laid off there is no such thing as a temporary lay off unless in a CBA or under a personal contract. If laid off you are eligible for full severance. Not the severance on the MOL website. Severance is based on how long it would take to get employment of the same nature and wages as well as age is taken into consideration. Based on the packages I have seen a worker in their 50's with 25 years service would be given approximately 3  weeks severance per year service, so 1 1/2 years full salary including benefits if applicable depending on the job they had. Better than any E.I. benefits. It would be a windfall for my wife to be laid off as she doesn't have a defined pension plan. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

16 minutes ago, irishfield said:

Trying to figure out where I apply for my small business support that our faithful leader promised, while I continue to work on the property in another building.. 

Are you working on some rumble for that Bee ? I was going to hit a local trib near you, but I know I am not welcome to visit and respect your health . I still want to see that machine after all the work you have done to it .Maybe in the fall .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, irishfield said:

Trying to figure out where I apply for my small business support that our faithful leader promised, while I continue to work on the property in another building.. 

Yes Sir, lots of talk but not much action yet. Imagine how long it would take to get to talk to a human being. I tried to contact my Scotia branch this week . The machine said 2 hour wait for a representative, yea right. I'll just show up I guess. They promised to get all of the Canadians overseas home safely. I know many are trapped in Europe as they can't get a direct flight home. Landing in the US causes all sorts of complications, especially if you don't have money to self isolate for 14 days. Many are out of cash to pay for rooms and food.  CHCH news this past week interviewed a young woman from Smithville whom is studying in Ireland and is trapped there and out of money with no friends or family that can get her any. No help from Canadian officials, Canadian Embassy or Ministry of Foreign Affairs nor Air Canada. The hotel she is at is running a tab for her, good on them. In cases like this I am more than happy to kick in a few bucks. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

My wife is off and has applied for EI.. we are plodding along at Stelco and we have had to convince the company to take it seriously. The office staff has been doing it for a while now but some of the managers in the plant are acting like the old school bosses we used to have. It took a public shaming for them to act. Shutting down could cause catastrophic damage to the coke ovens and furnaces.. 

17 hours ago, irishfield said:

Our gate is closed, even our own kids know that Mom is off limits! Speaking of the boss.. she has me occupied during these trying times.. 

porchcompletion 189.JPG

Are you building a church ? That looks like a lot of work, and Leah has done a great job so far .

10 hours ago, pics said:

My wife is off and has applied for EI.. we are plodding along at Stelco and we have had to convince the company to take it seriously. The office staff has been doing it for a while now but some of the managers in the plant are acting like the old school bosses we used to have. It took a public shaming for them to act. Shutting down could cause catastrophic damage to the coke ovens and furnaces.. 

One of the 1st things I was told when I got into supervision at Stelco in the mid 70's was to say "no" to anything asked by a member of 1005. Pre Occupational Health and Safety Act of 1978. I thought things changed for the better. I thought all the dinosaurs were gone. Pete S. and Bill G. were the only ones still working from my days I was told. Oh yea your new Vice President. I failed him after his 1st Blower training, now he's vice pres. after US Steel gave him the pink slip. What did I know? 

You haven't bought into that old wives tale re: Batteries collapsing if shut down did you Pics? Damaging yes but not a total loss. Banked or blown down Blast Furnaces can last years shut down if done properly  blown down i.e. 100% void of any materials for relines. Banked is when filled with burden for a start up after a long shutdown such as when down for the 3 months after the 81' and 90' strikes. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The battery top is in bad shape and each time we hot idle it gets worse. Lake Erie is on the verge of a total battery failure and is currently running at less than 50 percent.. repairs are somewhere in the range of 140 million and counting..