Out of season Walleye nets man a $6000.00 fine

Old Ironmaker

7 minutes ago, misfish said:

What I like best about this is they name names. That Is the biggest fine. SHAME NAME . IMO.

Anyone fishing in another country and gets nailed with a fine like this after repeat offences should be banned from ever entering that country again.   

• Like 6

Maybe not enough but 6 grand is a big fine compared to others. Fines must be based on similar fines handed out for similar offences or they will be tossed or adjusted to meet the past fines if appealed. I think that is for all offences. 

Yes I like that the MNR Watch reports all the names and residences of those charged and convicted. Most from north of Nipissing. The worse poachers  seem to be in the Tamagami area. Many hunting outfitters are charged with poaching Bear and Moose as well. You would think they would be the best conservationists. Not all. 

MNR tips hotline #. 1-877-847-7667. Put it in your phone. I have seen many poachers at work and not hiding it, I should have called it in. Now I have the number I will, every time. 

On 3/20/2020 at 9:47 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Maybe not enough but 6 grand is a big fine compared to others. Fines must be based on similar fines handed out for similar offences or they will be tossed or adjusted to meet the past fines if appealed. I think that is for all offences. 

Yes I like that the MNR Watch reports all the names and residences of those charged and convicted. Most from north of Nipissing. The worse poachers  seem to be in the Tamagami area. Many hunting outfitters are charged with poaching Bear and Moose as well. You would think they would be the best conservationists. Not all. 

MNR tips hotline #. 1-877-847-7667. Put it in your phone. I have seen many poachers at work and not hiding it, I should have called it in. Now I have the number I will, every time. 

My question is this. If the offender is from outside Canada, what guarantees that he even pays the fine? I mean, as long as he does not try to come back into the Country, can they even collect on this? Also, would this offence show up at the border? Would MNR records transfer over as a criminal record?

Same thing for us if we commit an offence in the US, if we choose to never enter the Country again, do we have to pay up? I doubt this is an offence that they would ever extradite for!

I agree. If this is a repeat offence, why not confiscate his equipment including boat and vehicle? Always ticks me off when I watch "Border Security" on TV. The cops (CBSA) spend 10's of thousands of $$ policing, building a case, collecting evidence and then say they gave them a slap on the wrist and told them not to do it again!!! Why not seize everything the law allows and fine to the maximum extent, then use those funds and proceeds to self support the department they work for?

Geesh!

3 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

My question is this. If the offender is from outside Canada, what guarantees that he even pays the fine? I mean, as long as he does not try to come back into the Country, can they even collect on this? Also, would this offence show up at the border? Would MNR records transfer over as a criminal record?

Same thing for us if we commit an offence in the US, if we choose to never enter the Country again, do we have to pay up? I doubt this is an offence that they would ever extradite for!

I agree. If this is a repeat offence, why not confiscate his equipment including boat and vehicle? Always ticks me off when I watch "Border Security" on TV. The cops (CBSA) spend 10's of thousands of $$ policing, building a case, collecting evidence and then say they gave them a slap on the wrist and told them not to do it again!!! Why not seize everything the law allows and fine to the maximum extent, then use those funds and proceeds to self support the department they work for?

Geesh!

Can't argue with you there Rattletrap. I know in the past there was some arrangement between some US states and provinces where drivers licenses were pulled until the traffic fines for example were paid in full. I don't know about today. I love when a person coming into Canada with huge bags full of meat and fish and who knows what food and they only get a slap on the wrist. Imagine cooking that thawed room temperature chicken after flying 1/2 way across the globe, mmmmm good. Same for not declaring cash above 10 CDN. "Oh so sorry Sir, I forgot I had that extra $5000.00 in cash!" The stupid look on their faces says it all. "Who me?" But find a couple of joints and CBSA acts like they just busted Pablo Escobar. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

• 4 weeks later...