In these hard times what about the Fishing lodge operators?

scuro2

I have been thinking about how it would be great to be on the water far up north but if things stay the way they are what would that look like? I am concerned for the owners and operators of fishing lodges and would like to know more about their situation.

Just thought about this today as we were talking about a trip north to Lady Elenore Lodge (sic) Great prices. My BIL law went last spring and loved it . I'm sure they are getting hit as much as any other business. Call. Get 1st hand info. We need to support all Ontario businesses. That are open!

• Like 1

Four cancellations today alone, the news of the border closing was tipping point where the gravity of the situation set in. Today the US government stated it's looking at a 18 month fight.... hope it doesn't take that long, china seems to be winning their battle 80 days in. I hope every other country suffering can duplicate those results. Ultimately let's all do what needs to be done to stay healthy, let's not trade a 2020 trip for many more trips in the future over next multiple years. Wishing everyone a healthy 2020

Edited by Jmeyer
Grammer
  • Like 3

I was thinking of a drive to lodge with your own cabin. But think about it, really I should only go with my wife or children living with me, otherwise with larger parties it defeats the purpose of self isolation. Then the question becomes where there people in your cabin before you arrived? On plastic and stainless steel I believe the virus can live for two days. You should really come with your own supplies, everything. I am sure there are other angles I haven't even thought of...but a fly-in to a big lodge wouldn't even be allowed I think. Are hotels open?

Feel VERY sorry for the independent lodge owners that offered great service for both USA and local visitors.  After all this is done there will be a big push to get people traveling again. If you made plans just contact them about cancellation policy but I hope this will blow over by summer.

I know its hard to convince locals (Canadians) to travel to lodges but some were able to do this just by great services and prices.

There are a few lodges that only went after the (away guests).  These ones are going to struggling this year to convince locals and others to come visit.

• Like 1

I have empathy for all workers and businesses country wide. We were planning on doing a perch day or 2 at Georgina. We haven't been for a few years. We were definitely going to spend a night in a local motel and save that drive through T.O. Traffic isn't a problem the highways are basically empty. Staying in a room that who knows was there before us isn't happening. If small motels are open?  I wouldn't stay in a 5 star Marriot with all that's going on. These are great opportunities for guys that haul motor homes. I wonder how launching a boat with a motor home is doable. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

I can be totally wrong but I think this deal take a turn to the good within 30 days.

If we're luckily it will peak then. If we're lucky.

We are 2 weeks behind Italy and they are nowhere near peak as they had over 5,300 new cases and 427 fatalities since yesterday.

It's just getting started here.

spacer.png

Edited by DRIFTER_016

It's certainly a stressful time right now owning a lodge, part of which is because we don't know how long it will last but also we have been asking ourselves will people want to travel once this is over. The last 3-4 weeks have slowed down with people looking for more information and I don't blame anyone, especially if your workplace has shut down.  We thankfully haven't had any cancellations( no American clients as most come from southern Ontario). 

So maybe a question to everyone reading this, if this is all still going on a month or 2 from now? Not necessarily isolation but the social distancing, is anyone making plans for the summer? Not even just a fishing lodge, but a provincial park or other campground? 

One thing that might benefit lodge operators or people that own businesses away city centers is that people probably won't be flying to Europe or going to Niagara Falls or Toronto where there would be thousands or people so a place away from crowds might be enticing. 

Our lodge isn't open until May Long Weekend so we aren't hurting right now, I really feel for the people that have already been laid off or had to shut their businesses during this. 

Andrew, 

North Channel Cottages

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 6:29 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

We lost the last 1 1/2 to 2 months of the Aurora season because of it.

No spring carnival and no Ice Castle. :(

That sucks!

March/April is a great time in YK.  Love touring the ice castles and sculptures when going through.

On 3/19/2020 at 4:28 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

If we're luckily it will peak then. If we're lucky.

We are 2 weeks behind Italy and they are nowhere near peak as they had over 5,300 new cases and 427 fatalities since yesterday.

It's just getting started here.

spacer.png

What he says.....

19 hours ago, North Channel Cottages said:

So maybe a question to everyone reading this, if this is all still going on a month or 2 from now? Not necessarily isolation but the social distancing, is anyone making plans for the summer? Not even just a fishing lodge, but a provincial park or other campground? 

If my wife was game for it, the kids too, I'd leave straight for a remote island on a favorite big lake and camp out a month. Just go back to town half way between for gas and food.  If the wife isn't up for it, fine. Kids are coming with me. lol.  (they'd hate that) 

On 3/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, Jmeyer said:

Four cancellations today alone, the news of the border closing was tipping point where the gravity of the situation set in. Today the US government stated it's looking at a 18 month fight.... hope it doesn't take that long, china seems to be winning their battle 80 days in. I hope every other country suffering can duplicate those results. Ultimately let's all do what needs to be done to stay healthy, let's not trade a 2020 trip for many more trips in the future over next multiple years. Wishing everyone a healthy 2020

Well said Jason, never met you, but I know your heart is bigger than your desire to make money

On 3/25/2020 at 7:28 PM, North Channel Cottages said:

Andrew

After 6 years away from my favorite fishing destination in Alaska I was planning to finally go again this year.

I have already cancelled my plans (it was to be September/October) as during the H1N1 pandemic in 2009 I managed to get it and spend most of my vacation locked up in my camper or it might have been tent still at that time.

This is much worse and the last thing I want to do is end up getting it.

Will be spending all my time at my off grid cabin in the wilds of the NWT where it's safe.  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smitty55 said:

From what I heard Fishing Charter operators are now shut down too. Makes sense I guess as you get folks confined in a small area. So what next,. recreational fishing?

There are places in the US that have shut down Rec. fishing.

14 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

There are places in the US that have shut down Rec. fishing.

Canada too.  I read that one of the Atlantic provinces as delayed sport fishing this year.

It hasn't been closed in Ontario yet; but some of the launches have been closed.

On 3/25/2020 at 9:28 PM, North Channel Cottages said:

Andrew, 

North Channel Cottages

To answer your question Andrew we have cancelled our plans for this summer. We planned on going on a charter cruise leaving Rome and heading south along the Mediterranean coast then north on the Adriatic and a stop in Splitz (sic) Croatia. Cancelling was a no brainer, I had already given a deposit. I don't know what is going to happen to that. It was given to a local travel agent not the group in Italy. But the positive being if all is somewhat normal this summer I wouldn't hesitate to rent a cottage up north and bring the boat with us. I know my wife is disappointed as she has never been to Europe and the trip was her retirement gift and her idea of a great vacation isn't watching me fish. I know I'll send her to her sisters in Nova Scotia and I'll go north to your place. OFC members discount? 

I hope you can weather the storm. I know a few folks that have camps and resorts north. They have been operating season to season for a while now and I can't see how they will  make it to 2021 if they lose this years bookings. Hopefully some of the money promised by Trudeau will make it to those outfitters and resort owners like yourself to keep them afloat until next year. I am asking everyone I know to head north this summer if things are safe to do so. Only time will tell. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker