Old Gennie fuel ok for boat?

captpierre

Got this gennie last spring. Filled with and stored  20 L Shell premium, ethanol free gas stabilized with Stabil Marine. Last April.  Been running it briefly every couple months  

I’m thinking it needs to be replaced with fresh fuel. Would you put the old gas through my Yammy or through my 4Runner?  And do you add it to a mostly full tank to dilute it or does it matter. 

Thanks Gents                                               

5E47F877-B78F-475F-AFFC-71A5F90416DE.jpeg

Edited by captpierre

Run it through small engines . The car could have an issue with it in the catalytic converter as well as driving the computer nuts with the reduced octane.  Repairs on the boat engine could make running it a costly experiment. I use old gas in my golf cart and lawnmower mixing it 50/50 with no issues . I however think that the use of the marine stabil makes this not much of an issue and nothing bad will happen. 

Art

45 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

***Home owners tip***

If you have old fuel you don't trust to use in your engines, it works great for burning the corpses of your COVID-19 infected neighbours.

Subscribe to my channel for more awesome tips!!!!

So Drifter me thinks the lack of sun up there has messed with ya. 

3 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Next time leave the genny empty and keep the gas in the gas can without the stabilizer. Then you can dump it in your truck and put fresh gas in the standby gas can. 

That’s good advice.  I’ll use that from now on.  Don’t know why I didn’t think of that.

I always left my generators empty and the gas can full of Premium gas with stabilizer. I change the gas twice a year so it never gets that old and my truck has never yet complained that it just got 20l of super on a half empty tank.

I am in a similar situation. I am thinking the car or truck can better handle a bit of less than perfect gas than the smaller engines. It is already High Octane and no ethanol. I really don't think a bit of stabilizer is going to hurt either.

I would hate to foul up my outboard!!! I was actually advised by the Marina that I bought my 2017 Yamaha 4 stroke from, not to run Super in it. He said they were designed to run regular and that the timing could be affected? Something to that affect anyways.

When I had my older 2 stroke Merc, I was told that I should run Super to avoid the ethanol.

I always shut off the fuel valve from the tank on my generator and run the carb dry after each use. It is always Super from Shell that I run in it and all my lawn equipment, ATV, and Snow Blower.

I have fuel in my boat from late 2018 as l did not use my boat last year. That fuel also had Sea Foam in it at all times. I will remove the fuel from the tank into fuel cans and slowly insert in to my truck to burn and add new fuel this year to my boat tank. i should be good to go. 🙄

Edited by Loonietoon
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 2:08 PM, Rattletrap2 said:

I am in a similar situation. I am thinking the car or truck can better handle a bit of less than perfect gas than the smaller engines. It is already High Octane and no ethanol. I really don't think a bit of stabilizer is going to hurt either.

I would hate to foul up my outboard!!! I was actually advised by the Marina that I bought my 2017 Yamaha 4 stroke from, not to run Super in it. He said they were designed to run regular and that the timing could be affected? Something to that affect anyways.

When I had my older 2 stroke Merc, I was told that I should run Super to avoid the ethanol.

I always shut off the fuel valve from the tank on my generator and run the carb dry after each use. It is always Super from Shell that I run in it and all my lawn equipment, ATV, and Snow Blower.

Very smart man! 🤗