Jump to content

Toronto Sportsman Show - Cancelled


Recommended Posts

Effective immediately, the 2020 Toronto Sportsmen's Show (March 18-22), which was set to take place at The International Centre in Mississauga, will not be opening.

In the 73-year history of the Toronto Sportsmen's Show, this is the first time it has had to suspend the event. This action is being taken based on the recommendations made by the provincial Chief Medical Officer of Health and Peel Public Health to help reduce possible risk regarding the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).

Attendees who have already purchased tickets will be notified by email.

TSS staff will contact exhibitors as soon as possible with more information.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They have closed the schools for 3 weeks. I feel for those parents that have to stay home from work or shell out money for day care and cannot afford to pay or lose their wages due to staying home . Many live pay cheque to pay cheque..   I am staying away from groups and even have gone as far as wearing gloves when using a key pad for when I pay by debit. Everything gets wipes down with cleaner here that we both touch. Faucet,door handles what ever we come in contact daily.  Not sure if I am over reacting,but I don't feel like getting sick for this 2 week lock down they have in place .

 

I have not read anywhere where it says if you get this virus, stay quarantined for the 14 days and get cleared, that you cannot catch it again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, misfish said:

They have closed the schools for 3 weeks. I feel for those parents that have to stay home from work or shell out money for day care and cannot afford to pay or lose their wages due to staying home . Many live pay cheque to pay cheque..   I am staying away from groups and even have gone as far as wearing gloves when using a key pad for when I pay by debit. Everything gets wipes down with cleaner here that we both touch. Faucet,door handles what ever we come in contact daily.  Not sure if I am over reacting,but I don't feel like getting sick for this 2 week lock down they have in place .

 

I have not read anywhere where it says if you get this virus, stay quarantined for the 14 days and get cleared, that you cannot catch it again.

What I have heard Brian is that people who get it, beat it and feel well enough to go back to work can still be shedding the virus... and they don't know how long that will continue.

HH

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, misfish said:

I have not read anywhere where it says if you get this virus, stay quarantined for the 14 days and get cleared, that you cannot catch it again.

Apparently a few have gotten ill a second time.  If you can make it past the land mines, gun emplacements and auto phazers you have a chance to visit me, lol.   Stay away from crowds of more than 1.

Did a quick run of staple groceries, holy cow, shelves are emptying fast, oatmeal, flour, sugar, canned milk hard to find.

Edited by Fisherman
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

oatmeal, flour, sugar, canned milk hard to find.

Got a freezer full of stuff to cook up. Was at  Brants factory and Starskys this morning. Loaded up .

Going to make a mash potato,herring and beet salad this weekend.

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a historic time in our modern society. Most of us are boomers or of later generations. The last time in history that society has been effected this much would be WW2 in my estimation. Cancelling any function where large numbers are involved is prudent. My God Daughter's wedding is coming up in mid April. 300 invited, what to do? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

This is a historic time in our modern society. Most of us are boomers or of later generations. The last time in history that society has been effected this much would be WW2 in my estimation. Cancelling any function where large numbers are involved is prudent. My God Daughter's wedding is coming up in mid April. 300 invited, what to do? 

Occasions like that only happen once,  I would look at the good and the bad side of things and weigh the pro's and con's.  Maybe the bug will minimize by then, who knows.  Personally I would opt out and hope they understand that the elder population is much more vulnerable than the young ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Occasions like that only happen once,  I would look at the good and the bad side of things and weigh the pro's and con's.  Maybe the bug will minimize by then, who knows.  Personally I would opt out and hope they understand that the elder population is much more vulnerable than the young ones.

My thinking exactly Fisherman, postpone for now. Even if the risk of a large gathering has diminished by the time her day has arrived the couple will need to make a decision ASAP. Not something one can postpone a week before the event without huge ramifications and associated costs for both the couple, the Family and guests.  Her Father told me today that she is devastated. In the scheme of all things it's easy for someone to tell her that her nuptials are not as important as the Health and Safety of her loved ones that are to attend. But try telling that to a 24 year old bride to be. We will be visiting them this Sunday. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

As of Thursday last week.

 

Muskies Canada Inc. (MCI) has been monitoring the developing Covid-19 situation for a while now and … it’s not good.
 
After a lot of debate and deliberation, we have made the very difficult decision to cancel the Odyssey this year. 
 
It goes without saying that we were all very disappointed to have to take this action. However, the health of our members has to take precendence over our desire to try and top the success of the 2019 Odyssey.
 
We will now be working to provide refunds to the vendors who have rented booth space at the show, and we will be issuing a full refund to all those folks who have purchased their tickets online. This may not go as quickly as we would like, but the refunds WILL be done as quickly as possible.
 
I can also assure you that we will be working to hold an Odyssey in April of 2021. Stay tuned!
 
With regret
 
Pete Bostelmann
President
Muskies Canada Inc.
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pigeontroller said:

As of Thursday last week.

 

Muskies Canada Inc. (MCI) has been monitoring the developing Covid-19 situation for a while now and … it’s not good.
 
After a lot of debate and deliberation, we have made the very difficult decision to cancel the Odyssey this year. 
 
It goes without saying that we were all very disappointed to have to take this action. However, the health of our members has to take precendence over our desire to try and top the success of the 2019 Odyssey.
 
We will now be working to provide refunds to the vendors who have rented booth space at the show, and we will be issuing a full refund to all those folks who have purchased their tickets online. This may not go as quickly as we would like, but the refunds WILL be done as quickly as possible.
 
I can also assure you that we will be working to hold an Odyssey in April of 2021. Stay tuned!
 
With regret
 
Pete Bostelmann
President
Muskies Canada Inc.

Which is more of a bummer to me then the sportsman show as that happens every year and this is every other year. Was hoping to get my hands on a few new baits that I don't have. More than likely now all of the bait makers are going to raffle off their baits online, which I think is stupid. 

Edited by Musky Plug
Link to post
Share on other sites

Although they may have a refund of their vendor fees I'm sure a lot of exhibitors already put out money beforehand.  It was already hard for retailers there to recoup their costs and all the extra stock they're now stuck with they're going to have to sell off somehow..

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pigeontroller said:

As of Thursday last week.

 

Muskies Canada Inc. (MCI) has been monitoring the developing Covid-19 situation for a while now and … it’s not good.
 
After a lot of debate and deliberation, we have made the very difficult decision to cancel the Odyssey this year. 
 
It goes without saying that we were all very disappointed to have to take this action. However, the health of our members has to take precendence over our desire to try and top the success of the 2019 Odyssey.
 
We will now be working to provide refunds to the vendors who have rented booth space at the show, and we will be issuing a full refund to all those folks who have purchased their tickets online. This may not go as quickly as we would like, but the refunds WILL be done as quickly as possible.
 
I can also assure you that we will be working to hold an Odyssey in April of 2021. Stay tuned!
 
With regret
 
Pete Bostelmann
President
Muskies Canada Inc.

Dax, l thought the Odyssey was every 2 yrs? correct me if l am wrong WWWwwr as the Fonz would put it... HEy

Edited by Loonietoon
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • aplumma pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

When I lived closer, this one was a MUST ATTEND.  I am not surprised by the cancellation, however.  Quite a few memories of the Sportsmen's shows............😉

We are supposed to attend weddings on 20 June and early September, I am thinking both of them might be in jeopardy.  Like you say OIM, the loving couple has to think about the old farts that would be attending, and act accordingly.

Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...