Sonar question(s)

GBW

Hey all

So I am getting a Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2 and I am not a 'newer' sonar user.  Is there any tips or tricks you can think of for ease of use and or dialing it in to get better readings of the screen?  

Anything to help is some great shared info. and I thank you for it.  Sadly it will still be a bit before I can rig it and water test it so I will just be dreaming till those days get close and I might be asking more questions about it too.  Cheers.  

HB Helix 7 win.jpg

They’re pretty good units I have 2 of them. No complaints here about them. I would say before you install it in your rig get a small 12v battery hook it up and mess around with the unit in simulation mode. That way you can get a better feel for settings you might like and when it comes to open water you’ll be better prepared and dial it in that much easier. 

Actually only one complaint you can’t display time, bearing, speed and water temp at the same time on those units only 3 of them. That bugs me a little other then that it pretty sweet. 

• Like 1

play with the sensitivity and contrast settings while imaging. I specifically find that down and side imaging can be tuned very nicely dependent on the structure/bait you are attempting to image. you can come up with some very impressive stuff if you dial your settings in right

IMG-4434.jpg

See the bait, find the fish.

• Like 1

So a do!

Get 6 gauge wire and the proper connectors. Whitby Marine has this open weekends and holidays.

Also get stainless steel buse also at Whitby marine supply.

Bring this as close to your unit as possible.

If you have exacter transducer cable don't  wrap in ball and tape. You can buy holders foe exacter cable.

I always have dividers tackle boxes, cut duvets on either side and wrap exacter cable.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:54 AM, BillM said:

Out of the box it should be just fine.  After you've got used to it, then worry about the advanced menus and mucking around fine tuning it.

But once you figure it out like I have been able, and I am a HB 101 for dummies guy, I have it set that I was even able to mark a size 10 scud drop hook in 90 fow this morning .

• Like 1