Jump to content

Coronavirus.


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

Technically, I am high risk, I have no underlying health issues other than 65 birthdays.  To start opening things back up it is going to take a huge amount of common sense, both by customers and service providers.

We can't stay closed forever.  Sooner or later there will be no money for anything including health concerns.

I'll be 70 in a couple of weeks , diagnosed COPD about ten years ago but not having any issues now , going out to cut the lawn today , 50 by 175 lot. Wife although younger , has emphysema  and shortness of breath. I call our chances of survival somewhere between slim and none. Pension keeps coming in so no need to go out except a weekly grocery shop at  R.C.Superstore during seniors hour Tuesday morning, we are isolating till the coast is entirely clear regardless of the rest of the world.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dave524 said:

I'll be 70 in a couple of weeks , diagnosed COPD about ten years ago but not having any issues now , going out to cut the lawn today , 50 by 175 lot. Wife although younger , has emphysema  and shortness of breath. I call our chances of survival somewhere between slim and none. Pension keeps coming in so no need to go out except a weekly grocery shop at  R.C.Superstore during seniors hour Tuesday morning, we are isolating till the coast is entirely clear regardless of the rest of the world.

I should be an individual decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, dave524 said:

Pension keeps coming in so no need to go out except a weekly grocery shop at  R.C.Superstore during seniors hour Tuesday morning, 

Have you tried ordering online? works reasonably well if you can wait a week or so. Once you get a head start on it that's less of a prob.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

kinda funny, 

I've been pretty much up at my cottage for the last 5 weeks, looking out over the lake tonight, it's quiet, but with all the lights on it looks like a summer weekend, it's the most people up here since this thing started by far, and the weather isn't even that great

I guess trudope and scheer travelling last weekend sent a message, lol

Edited by chris.brock
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

kinda funny, 

I've been pretty much up at my cottage for the last 5 weeks, looking out over the lake tonight, it's quiet, but with all the lights on it looks like a summer weekend, it's the most people up here since this thing started by far, and the weather isn't even that great

I guess trudope and scheer travelling last weekend sent a message, lol

Or maybe it could be because nobody has issued a legal law prohibiting it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

it's quiet, but with all the lights on it looks like a summer weekend, it's the most people up here since this thing started by far, 

Interesting because up in my parts it’s as quiet as I’ve ever seen it.

i think in large part that can be attributed to the fact that a huge portion of the cottages in pointe au baril are owned by Americans. 
 

with the marinas closed, I went out into a commonly travelled area and saw 1 boat in 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon. It’s crazy quiet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

there hasn't been a legal law prohibiting it for the last 5 weeks? why the sudden influx today?

And how do you explain being at your cottage for 5 weeks if it's not your fulltime residence?

Did you just get there first?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Woodsman said:

And how do you explain being at your cottage for 5 weeks if it's not your fulltime residence?

Did you just get there first?

valid question, I know I'm not following protocol staying up here, here's my reasoning-

-we have a small fridge, no chest freezer, we can't hoard food

-if one of us gets sick, they drive back to the city to isolate, we have 2 vehicles up here

-the govt hasn't waived my taxes on my cottage, I've paid plenty of taxes for the last 25 years, unlike the chinese that started this mess and have a safe haven in Canada although they don't pay any taxes

-I'm looking out for number 1, our gov't is an incompetent mess, my wife and son are my first priority, my wife can go to the Minden grocery store early morning and there's hardly anyone there, the Freshco near me in Oakville is a gong show with empty shelves and none of the hoard of shoppers speaking English, who knows where they've been

-there's way more to do up here without bumping into other people, we made maple syrup, we wander around in the bush, catch fish, we actually trained a red squirrel to scratch on our door, and come in to take a peanut from our hand and then leave, my son and I have made crazy memories because we had the time on our hands, he wasn't in school and I wasn't working, I think we're going to look back on this thing with fond memories

basically, I'm looking out for my family and don't give a F about anything else

 

 

 

 

Edited by chris.brock
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My statement here is Chris has been there 5 weeks.  4 weeks ago is when they urged us not to travel.  He's done NO wrong IMO.

Chris, I hope you and the Fam. have a great time and enjoy these times and memories and stay safe.  

Hell, I can't even walk out front my door here in Lindsay for a smoke with out a car passing by every minute and I'm not on a main road.  

As for cottage traffic, Lindsay is a 'pass through' town so I have seen it.  My folks are on a small lake near burnt river and I bet if I call them tomorrow (well today as it's late as I post this) I bet they will say the lights on the lake probably went up by 30+% in the past week or more.  Safe bet on those numbers.  People just don't care, they are fed up and want to go were they 'can' go even if asked no to travel.  Here I sit.  Beer in hand, smoke in the other.  River in town is closed.  *sigh*  I guess I better get back to bed or on the ClubWPT poker site and win some cash...  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The government never said you can’t  go to your cottage, it was only a recommendation 

trudeaus family when to their cottage as did the leader of the opposition 

they are recommendations like get 8 hours sleep and brush your teeth twice a day

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As with most things, the cottage angle has a lot to do with supply chain and available resources. The average cottager is not the type that can sneakily head to the lake and be self sufficient. The average cottager in my parts and I would obviously assume in muskoka (I have a friend that fits directly into this category) needs help getting their boat out of a marina’s winter storage. They need help getting their boat running again, they need help having their docks put back in in the spring, they buy their boats gas at a marina, they have a plumber empty their pipes in the fall and shut their water off etc etc, you get my point. The last thing you’d want the government to do is to tell these people  that it’s a good idea for them to flock up north to hang out and buy up all of the groceries in the local grocery store.

or even better, start partying like they always do, going island to island getting drunk. I am “next door” to “the moorings” in pointe au baril. The owner Brian called me When the order came from the government to shut down marinas he was actually somewhat thankful because the decision was now out of his hands. He was feeling immense pressure from island cottagers for him to open for business and allow them to come and use his property as normal. Brian and his wife are over 70 years old. On one hand he of course would like to make the income that he makes from his marina, on the other hand he realized the danger of the entire scenario and was not sure how he could manage to keep his docks clean and provide the required safety measures that would be needed by himself, while also keeping him and his wife safe. 
 

I even asked him what his thoughts on me simply launching my boat using his driveway without using his docks or touching anything on his property and having someone drive my truck away, and his reply was that while he understood how I could do it without posing any danger but the pressure he was feeling from island residents was too strong and therefore I wouldn’t be able to launch. One can appreciate that without the government shutting marinas down the owners are then required to make life and death decisions for people. That is wild.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

 The owner Brian called me When the order came from the government to shut down marinas he was actually somewhat thankful because the decision was now out of his hands. He was feeling immense pressure from island cottagers for him to open for business and allow them to come and use his property as normal. 
 

I even asked him what his thoughts on me simply launching my boat using his driveway without using his docks or touching anything on his property and having someone drive my truck away, and his reply was that while he understood how I could do it without posing any danger but the pressure he was feeling from island residents was too strong and therefore I wouldn’t be able to launch. One can appreciate that without the government shutting marinas down the owners are then required to make life and death decisions for people. That is wild.

good post---something to think about before heaping too much abuse on the gov't of any stripe.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's been way busier up here in the past 2 weeks. The tim hortons has even reduced their hours on the weekends to try and stop any infected people from the city from spreading it. Mon-thurs 5am-10pm fri-sun 7am-3pm. So they can stay open for locals working during the week, but limit contact with people just driving through on weekends.

Also a 10 cent spike in the price of gas, but only fri-sun and only the 2 stations that are in town on the highway coming from the south.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nlpaintballer said:

It's been way busier up here in the past 2 weeks. The tim hortons has even reduced their hours on the weekends to try and stop any infected people from the city from spreading it. Mon-thurs 5am-10pm fri-sun 7am-3pm. So they can stay open for locals working during the week, but limit contact with people just driving through on weekends.

Also a 10 cent spike in the price of gas, but only fri-sun and only the 2 stations that are in town on the highway coming from the south.

 

 

 

^^^^^...+

And customers must show photo ID for proof of local residency to enter grocery, LCBO & Beer Store. Non-residents are not welcome here!!

And utility providers (electricity & propane primarily) are identifying non-residents by billing addresses and disconnecting utilities. 
+ LEOs are using license plate scanners to identify non-residents & issuing $750 tickets. 
Also,  people from the city are waking up at the cottage and finding slashed tires in the cottage driveway!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Pikeslayer said:

^^^^^...+

And customers must show photo ID for proof of local residency to enter grocery, LCBO & Beer Store. Non-residents are not welcome here!!

And utility providers (electricity & propane primarily) are identifying non-residents by billing addresses and disconnecting utilities. 
+ LEOs are using license plate scanners to identify non-residents & issuing $750 tickets. 
Also,  people from the city are waking up at the cottage and finding slashed tires in the cottage driveway!!

??? Sounds like Bull to me.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nlpaintballer said:

It's been way busier up here in the past 2 weeks. The tim hortons has even reduced their hours on the weekends to try and stop any infected people from the city from spreading it. Mon-thurs 5am-10pm fri-sun 7am-3pm. So they can stay open for locals working during the week, but limit contact with people just driving through on weekends.

Also a 10 cent spike in the price of gas, but only fri-sun and only the 2 stations that are in town on the highway coming from the south.

 

 

 

 

47 minutes ago, Pikeslayer said:

^^^^^...+

And customers must show photo ID for proof of local residency to enter grocery, LCBO & Beer Store. Non-residents are not welcome here!!

And utility providers (electricity & propane primarily) are identifying non-residents by billing addresses and disconnecting utilities. 
+ LEOs are using license plate scanners to identify non-residents & issuing $750 tickets. 
Also,  people from the city are waking up at the cottage and finding slashed tires in the cottage driveway!!

 

38 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

??? Sounds like Bull to me.

 

Correct. It is all Bull except for raising gas prices Fri-Sun (a standard practise in cottage country). My ‘contributions’ were lifted from my local cottage association FB postings. Right or wrong, these rumours & stories are posted by local full time residents to discourage the seasonal residents to stay away. 

Edited by Pikeslayer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pikeslayer said:

^^^^^...+

And customers must show photo ID for proof of local residency to enter grocery, LCBO & Beer Store. Non-residents are not welcome here!!

And utility providers (electricity & propane primarily) are identifying non-residents by billing addresses and disconnecting utilities. 
+ LEOs are using license plate scanners to identify non-residents & issuing $750 tickets. 
Also,  people from the city are waking up at the cottage and finding slashed tires in the cottage driveway!!

Link?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...