Coronavirus.

I have heard through a reliable source that this bug does not like the cold. I joked with this person that I may self isolate  in front of an ice hole and his response was suggesting that I wash my hands in the cold water, it'll kill the virus.

HH

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, cisco said:

USA has just stopped all flights from Europe. This simply means travelers will come through Canada to get there. This in effect makes us screen and deal with these passengers.

We need to keep in mind that presently the whole idea isn't to stop it from getting here but to slow it down so as few people as possible at any given time require critical medical treatment. 'Flattening the curve' they call it. If too many need critical care (won't take many with hospitals packed now) decisions will be made as to who lives and who dies like apparently in Italy now.  Without public healthcare the US is having serious issues even getting free test kits going unlike places like S. Korea where hundreds of thousands are tested weekly. Likely to spread more quickly in the US than in Canada and now we will be paying to help screen travelers to help flatten the US curve while raising ours.

Cisco, I don't know if public healthcare would make a difference, we are just not equipped to handle a serious epidemic. They are saying now that 100,000 Ohioans maybe carrying the virus, if just 5% of those people need to be hospitalized there will be problems! This is a clip of the New Rochelle NY ( a burb of NYC ) problems https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/03/13/gupta-new-rochelle-hospital-pkg-newday-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/.

Maintaining a hospital system to handle any pandemic that comes along could be more expensive than maintaining our military?

China built a couple of new hospitals in Wufan in a couple of weeks? I can't see that happening here.

CNN had another story about Great Britain's handling of it, and a view it might not peak for another 14 weeks? Chaos?

The only way to flatten the curve is isolation? and that would be hard to impose here?

27 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

I have heard through a reliable source that this bug does not like the cold. I joked with this person that I may self isolate  in front of an ice hole and his response was suggesting that I wash my hands in the cold water, it'll kill the virus.

HH

151 rum should kill germs?

• Like 1

Firstly the Covid 19 Corona Virus is respiratory and not gastrointestinal. Unless you want enough TP to wrap your Christmas presents for the next 10 years quit buying and hording it. BTW reliable sources tell me that most of the TP we consume is manufactured in Quebec not China. Irresponsible tv media and of course Facebook and other social media have created panic and doomsday thinking. Remember that most social media in today's world is crap at providing correct information and terrific at providing anonymity for someone behind a keyboard! 

My take on the whole thing? Don't travel, at least commercially, stay away from crowds, (Costco) and wash your friggin' hands 20 times or more a day. A good friend who is knowledgeable tells me that although the virus enters the body through the nose and mouth, most dies on its way to the stomach. It also enters the body through the eyes and ears!

Stop toughing your eyes, ears, nose and mouth and WASH YOUR HANDS frequently. 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

China built a couple of new hospitals in Wufan in a couple of weeks? I can't see that happening here.

Why not? Just as the US administration waved or at least shorted the red tape required for approvals normally requiring months minimally to approve the testing methods quickly developed by Roche Pharmaceuticals in a few days the same can be done for building new hospitals. Not buildings we would normally refer to as traditional hospitals but more in line with military M.A.S.H. units. No need for the endless permits required under The National Building Codes, traditional permits and requirements normally associated with building a "hospital." Simply areas where those suffering the conditions of Covid 19,  areas where the afflicted can be isolated from the general public. Those elderly patients with severe conditions due to the pandemic are basically on death beds unfortunately from what I have learned. Individuals of the average age of 65 suffering severe raspatory failure, severe pneumonia. There is no cure at this time for Covid 19 and severe patients are being kept as comfortable as can be. There was no cure for an 85 year old with severe pneumonia before this pandemic ever started. If a cure came out today the severe cases of those in critical respitory failure may not pull through regardless. It becomes a matter of triage. Isolation of the afflicted is the key right now and the best medical treatment must be given to those that have the best chance of survival. Just as is done in battlefield medicine. 

John, where did you come across the chart "Disease Deaths per day Worldwide?" Is it fact or something someone made on a Word program? Give me a few minutes and I can make any chart showing any data I want to. We have to be careful. My wife came home with some information that would normally boggle the mind. People hear something from someone whos brother in law is a Government official and not to tell anyone else and before anyone has left the lunchroom it is a fact that they will say they heard Dr. Sanjay Gupta say it  on CNN. We all have to be responsible. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

46 minutes ago, Crimsongulf said:

TW and I are now getting concerned about US / Canada land crossings.  Our plans are to head for the cottage around the first of June.

I am a little concerned about it too, my travel insurance runs out March 28th, if for any reason I can't cross back into Canada on the 26th I could be in a tight spot, no place to stay state side and no health insurance. I guess we'll just have to stay on top of it and react accordingly 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

John, China has options not  available here? Get this done or you disappear? Congress has a habit of tacking, or at least attempting to, of attaching completely  unrelated spending issues to funding bills, the bargaining over them can be time consuming.

2 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

I am a little concerned about it too, my travel insurance runs out March 28th, if for any reason I can't cross back into Canada on the 26th I could be in a tight spot, no place to stay state side and no health insurance. I guess we'll just have to stay on top of it and react accordingly 

I had to extend my health insurance once when it was going to run out in the US, Blue Cross, did it over the phone in a few minutes. Don't worry. 

2 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

You should be fine since it is only a couple of weeks, but should you run into issues, don't hesitate to contact me and we can get something worked out.

Lots of TP is produced here in Ontario and Quebec... several of my customers are in the Tissue business. My customers are presently increasing production to fill all the recent orders. They normally produce at the rate of consumption. The rate of consumption won't really change, but with all the panic purchasing now, the rate of purchase will be slowing in the future. It distorts the supply chain. Shelves will be full of TP very soon... 

The attached is sage advice, and could really help slow the rate of transmission, and protect the most at risk. The best thing we can all do, in my opinion, is try to flatten the curve a bit... by avoiding large gatherings of people.

Advice Mar 14 -001.jpg

Advice Mar 14 -002.jpg

11 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

You should be fine since it is only a couple of weeks, but should you run into issues, don't hesitate to contact me and we can get something worked out.

That's very kind of you, thank you! If I really thought I would have a problem I would already be headed for home. 

Yesterday was the first time I noticed empty shelves at Wal-Mart for TP, funny all the restraunt parking lots are packed full, grocery stores are busy, but they are telling people to avoid gatherings like church?????

6 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

That's very kind of you, thank you! If I really thought I would have a problem I would already be headed for home. 

Yesterday was the first time I noticed empty shelves at Wal-Mart for TP, funny all the restraunt parking lots are packed full, grocery stores are busy, but they are telling people to avoid gatherings like church?????

Cliff please read you policy carefully. Many have exclusions and some specifically will not cover Pandemics!

23 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

John, where did you come across the chart "Disease Deaths per day Worldwide?" Is it fact or something someone made on a Word program? Give me a few minutes and I can make any chart showing any data I want to. We have to be careful. My wife came home with some information that would normally boggle the mind. People hear something from someone whos brother in law is a Government official and not to tell anyone else and before anyone has left the lunchroom it is a fact that they will say they heard Dr. Sanjay Gupta say it  on CNN. We all have to be responsible. 

Have at it....I try not to post hearsay and supposition. 

I'd get home ASAP Big Cliff.

8 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

US isn't aware of how widespread it is. S. Korea does more testing in one day than the US has done thus far. Are you in a 'hotspot'? If you get symptoms will your policy cover you and will you get help or put in line? Will you get across the border with symptoms? Will Canada close the border if it is determined that the US has been 'fibbing'? Full restaurant lots simply shows that people there are not being serious. Want to be among them at your age?

Cliff come home, what are you waiting for? My brother lives in St. Kitts and said the Lewiston Queenston bridge had cars lined up as far as he could see from the Parkway. 

CNN reported this AM we are 6 months from repealing some of the measure the Govs have made up until now. The "shot" for Corona virus is about 12 months away down from 18 months last week. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker