Coronavirus.

16 minutes ago, Dutch01 said:

It's having a huge impact on air and ocean freight. .Some of my air freight costs have tripled so I moved some shipments to ocean and the ship sailing has been delayed twice now.

From our dock, we can see the Mobile Bay ship channel.  A couple of years ago, TW bought me a telescope, so I keep up with comings and goings.  Had one come in this afternoon from Paraguay.  Flagged Bahamas.

We have a friend that is a European pilot for Fed Ex, he is still normal for now.

13 minutes ago, Crimsongulf said:

From our dock, we can see the Mobile Bay ship channel.  A couple of years ago, TW bought me a telescope, so I keep up with comings and goings.  Had one come in this afternoon from Paraguay.  Flagged Bahamas.

We have a friend that is a European pilot for Fed Ex, he is still normal for now.

Most of my freight flies in the hold of passenger aircraft, of which there aren't that many flying these days.

FedEx is running their own cargo planes so your buddy is good for now.

17 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

Are there any impacts on Great Lakes shipping?

As for any effects I suspect there may be some effects but lots of shipping happening world wide including the Great Lakes.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-81.5/centery:42.4/zoom:5

Edited by Woodsman

11 hours ago, Woodsman said:

As for any effects I suspect there may be some effects but lots of shipping happening world wide including the Great Lakes.

Since I am hanging out at the house more now, I keep up with the Port of Mobile here.\

http://www2.asdd.com/dkvs/php/harborreport.php

• Like 1

I don’t dare show this to my wife. She has a PSW at an old folks home. Sweating buckets fearing that there won’t be enough PPE‘s.  I sure hope she gets the ones made by 3M or some of the new Canadian suppliers. And it’s high time we start producing our own product here in Canada. I agree with  premier Ford and I don’t usually. Time to make essential products at home!!!

I’m really happy to hear that  not one but two of our local manufacturers are gearing up to build respirators. (Danby and Linamar)

Edited by Hack_Fisherman
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 9:15 AM, Headhunter said:

Just learned this morning that my wife's aunt, living in a nursing home has tested positive. Given her advanced age and health, well....

HH

It seems to be hitting a lot of nursing homes here too, I spent 3 weeks in one last summer and was not at all impressed by their care or maintenance standards. Our 30 year old buddy is in one now, they just took his trach and feeding tube out a few days ago. They have banned visitors at most if not all of them here, but even if you're just dropping things off at their front desk there might be a risk?

On 4/8/2020 at 7:03 PM, Terry said:

Well if you don’t like that 

You  should see how hot dogs are made

Haha! I think a long while ago I explained this stuff...... have some time and with economic uncertainty we may have members needing a more frugal diet. Here's my experience.

Nothing wrong with them at all. I put myself thru university working at the unionized Schneiders meat plant in Kitchener.

Anyone eating balogna but going EWWW when someone eats a 'raw' hotdog is hypocritical since both are the exact same thing. The huge blender either pipes the gooey mix into the hotdog forming/packaging machine or when needed shifts to pipe the same mix into the blue ribbon balogna forming and packaging machine. From there it all goes into steam cooking rooms via metal carriage carts on overhead rails

So what weird stuff is in these things? Lips and 'a' holes? no folks so relax while I explain. Try not to barf as some here may be squeemish. The types that catch and release as 'heroes' but are really too squeemish to actually kill and clean a critter. Ewwww! 😉

Ever wonder what happens to dairy cows? Put out to pasture? How about sows that make piggies? How about bulls? What about roosters and egg laying hens? All put out to pasture to retire in a grassy kind of retirement home? Sorry. They don't. They go into sausage, all the assorted cold cuts like salami, mock chicken, spam, pepperettes, balogna, hot dogs and all else where ground up meat is formed to make stuff to eat. Hamburger isn't just ground up steak from steers either.

The huge blenders feeding the balogna/hotdog machines also mix the remnants of many meat products where for example the collected rounded ends of the 6ft long cooked meat mixture 'noodles', guess you'd call em, are trimmed off so the package you buy doesn't have the rounded end but just the flat perfectly rounded sliced part between the ends. Also added to the blenders are cereal grains, chemicals to gel/preserve color the product and also added is other 'rework' which is the accumulated meats not pretty enough to sell such as net-torn cooked roasts, hams and such where at certain weights they are added to the recipe in the blenders.

We used to get livestock from local farmers but before shutting down (bigger corps bought it out to close it to stop competition) it switched to stuff like big frozen packaged boneless beef bundles (about 3ft long, 2ft wide and 6inches deep)from Brazil methinks.

No offence to Terry for his humorous quip, just had some time to again (did this a while ago) explain what I saw where I worked for about 5 years. Worked all over the plant. Even ran the bacon/sausage smokehouse, the knockout room where the now cooked and solid cold-cut holding metal tubes came in and I air blasted the noodles out for slicing/packaging elsewhere. Worked in the barn where all critters came through except poultry which were done at the Ayr plant, worked kill rooms for both beef and pork, even shipping where we ate like kings. Toughest job was tearing 'leaf lard' where hogs came past hung upside down quickly. Hung and split down the middle after being boiled/hair removed/cleaned and you had to reach inside to grab the membrane covering the ribs on each side at the same time and tear up removing it. Like doing a weight curl using your fingers to grasp a sheet holding a 35lb dumbbell rather than grabbing the dumbbell pipe. 

I eat the stuff and knew many folks and even a few inspectors. Place was clean top to bottom and was a well run joint.

So next time try some balogna or hotdog. Same thing. Both cooked and ready to eat. NO difference. Only thing I worry about is 'mock chicken' which is a mystery and sounds kinda scary to me.  😏

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2020 at 9:09 AM, Woodsman said:

At this time of year I can usually count the number of vessels daily passing our place. They are few and far between this spring. I noticed exactly 2 all week. At night the horizon is usually full of lights of vessels anchored waiting to get into Nanticoke's steel plant and the oil refinery. I'm not sure about the refinery but I do know 1st hand Stelco is running at 100% 24/7 . I did notice on the way to the store Thursday Stelco Steel Nanticoke ore piles are high for this time of year. They must have been off loading very early this shipping season. 

Something very ironic I saw on TV this week. In the Middle East there has been a cease fire due to Covid 19! I don't know between whom because I can't keep track of who's killing who. 

Old Ironmaker if you click on the link I provided you can see most of ships in the world.

Can zoom in or out to where your looking.

By moving your mouse to point at a certain ship it will give you information about it. Clicking on it will give even more info.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 1:24 PM, cisco said:

So next time try some balogna or hotdog. Same thing. Both cooked and ready to eat. NO difference. Only thing I worry about is 'mock chicken' which is a mystery and sounds kinda scary to me.  😏

I can count on one hand how many times I ate a hotdog or bologna since I was 17. A buddy worked a summer at Shopsy's. He told us how they made it and what it was made from.

There's an old saying. "Never let anyone watch you make love to your wife or make sausages."