Coronavirus.

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

What happened to Mike Borger and his son?

The short version: Mike dropped his teenage son off to fish, alone in the river.  Cops we called and made his son stop fishing so by time Mike got back to pick up his son he started filming it and then the cops refused to talk to Mike and walked away.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GBW said:

The short version: Mike dropped his teenage son off to fish, alone in the river.  Cops we called and made his son stop fishing so by time Mike got back to pick up his son he started filming it and then the cops refused to talk to Mike and walked away.  

Important to note he started filming it when he asked the police to provide an explanation as to why they were telling his son that what he was doing was “illegal” the police then wouldn’t provide any explanation or their identification to Mike so he began to film them and they proceeded to walk away from him.

• Like 1

i dont blame the police for not knowing every single law especially as it relates to corona virus. I primarily blame the people that cant mind their own business and waste the police's time and resources by calling the cops on a kid standing in a river alone fishing. You gotta be some kinda person to do that...Ive got some great descriptive words but they arent allowed here lol.

Unfortunately these situations are not common at all.

My buddies on the weekend were out in the credit casting a particular drift and a home owner tried to ask them to move and when my buddy ignored his request to simply attempt to avoid any confrontation the guy decided to turn it into an argument. He told my buddy dave that he was tresspassing and Dave's reply was that he could assure the guy that as a fisherman he is careful to review the rules and ensure that he is not breaking any laws. The guy then threatened to call the authorities and Dave invited him to and said "go ahead but it was in the guys best interest to not waste the police's time."

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 2:07 PM, misfish said:

When I had the Ford with a hitch, I had to pull it out when not in use . Only cuz I was smacking my shin/knee on it and I would curse like a mad man . LOL

I have done that and used words that I invented on the spot because there were no suitable known words for the event.

23 hours ago, Woodsman said:

And the ticket would only say it was for violate an order under the current laws.

And I should believe you because "he talked to them" when the OPP are stating otherwise? 

IIRC you've been the one telling everyone to stay at home but somehow justifying why your at your cottage.

I don't write stuff I don't believe is true. 

If you're confident I'm full of crap, bet a $100 and I'll do the leg work and try to get a picture of a ticket?

I heard more of the story today- 3 groups of cottagers who knew each other, headed to the same  place, driving in separate cars, the cop pulled over 1 of the cars and the other 2 cars also stopped, the cop nailed the 2 drivers who refused to return to their primary residence 

you don't recall correctly, I'm not telling anyone anything, I'll say it again, I'm at my cottage for the last 6 weeks because I feel it's safer and more enjoyable for my family and I, and my family is far more important than what incompetent politicians like doug ford say

I listened to a radio interview today with the mayor of Algonquin Highlands

a couple interesting things- boat launches are open, it sounded like partly because they don't have the resources to sign, block off and enforce, but they're open

-marinas are deemed non essential and must stay closed, 1 marina has requested police presence for this weekend because some of the owners of the stored boats there are getting ornery and making threats, lol

Everyone is getting more and more antsy as this thing crawls along. Folks fuses are getting shorter and shorter. On another discussion forum I was called a few choice words in a PM worthy enough to report him to a moderator. The problem is that he is a mod. My last few posts there have mysteriously disappeared. 

Let cool heads prevail. 

On 4/28/2020 at 11:13 AM, AKRISONER said:

Important to note he started filming it when he asked the police to provide an explanation as to why they were telling his son that what he was doing was “illegal” the police then wouldn’t provide any explanation or their identification to Mike so he began to film them and they proceeded to walk away from him.

I don't know exactly where Mike's Son was fishing but I'll hazard a guess this was the issue. The Cop should have been able to explain that pretty easily if so, not sure why he didn't.

April 16, 2020: GRCA conservation areas and properties to remain closed, camping season delayed until further notice

"The GRCA continues to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic, follow governmental direction and actively take steps to help prevent the spread of infection. With the extension of the province’s Declaration of Emergency until May 12, it is certain that GRCA conservation areas and properties will remain closed, until further notice"

https://www.grandriver.ca/en/who-we-are/covid-19.aspx

2 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

I don't know exactly where Mike's Son was fishing but I'll hazard a guess this was the issue. The Cop should have been able to explain that pretty easily if so, not sure why he didn't.

April 16, 2020: GRCA conservation areas and properties to remain closed, camping season delayed until further notice

"The GRCA continues to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic, follow governmental direction and actively take steps to help prevent the spread of infection. With the extension of the province’s Declaration of Emergency until May 12, it is certain that GRCA conservation areas and properties will remain closed, until further notice"

https://www.grandriver.ca/en/who-we-are/covid-19.aspx

According to Mike his son accessed the river from the municipal parking lot beside the legion in Caledonia. I’m not certain but I don’t believe he violated any rules by standing in the river. Hence the lack of explanation by the police when an adult showed up and questioned them.

just my opinion here, but a kid standing alone in a river that he accessed through a public parking lot that is open, and someone calling the police is absolutely ridiculous. 

could you imagine calling the police on a kid standing in a river alone fishing...pandemic or not??? Sheesh

Edited by AKRISONER

Like I said it was a guess. *If* the GRCA authority controls the river they would likely be able to restrict access.

I called and spoke to people at three different Government agencies to make sure I could fish where I was intending to fish on opener.

5 minutes ago, Dutch01 said:

Like I said it was a guess. *If* the GRCA authority controls the river they would likely be able to restrict access.

I called and spoke to people at three different Government agencies to make sure I could fish where I was intending to fish on opener.

Just because a Conservation Authority controls a river system doesn't = the whole river is in a Conservation Area.

Hey guys, two things: 

Thing #1:  I was communicating with Mike Borger when his son got kicked out of the river on Saturday.  Mike instant messaged me on Monday to say that the cops finally called him back on the phone, and informed him that the riverbed is owned by the GRCA, which is closed.  Mike deleted the post from Facebook, which was mostly supportive, but of course had posts by the usual vocal minority "haters"

My interpretation:  The cop was likely correct to the letter of the law, even if he didn't know it at the time. I bet they searched a long time to find the excuse.  Most likely Brandon was standing in the river opposite a closed park, and I bet the cop thought he entered there, rather than having waded upstream a mile from the Legion. Rivers are navigable waterways, so if Brandon had been fishing from a canoe, he might have been [legally] OK, at least if he weren't anchored to the riverbed or tied up to a tree in the river!  Ha!  The cops won that round, by luck. 

Thing #2:  Has ANYONE HERE been tooled by the cops for fishing  or driving up north to go fishing?  Tooled = stopped on the highway, turned around, issued a citation, hassled in any away or prevented from fishing?  Not looking for hearsay, I want personal experience.  if so, why and what happened?  This is a Fishing forum, and I want to go fishing next week!  And yes, a photo of the ticket by buddy's buddy above will work! 

Thing #3:  OK, I lied....    Has anyone here had personal communication with any cops for any reason regarding fishing now?  A phone call, text, conversation with a cop?  Not hearsay, but personal conversation? I've had two so far. 

My interpretation:  Non-essential travel is "not recommended". They are "asking" us to stay at home, municipalities up north are "requesting" we don't go up there fishing. So far as I can understand, there is no LAW saying we can't travel to go fishing. There is NO non-essential travel BAN in Ontario so far as I can tell.  Even Premier Doug Ford says we can go fishing. Crown Land is closed to camping, and campfires are banned everywhere in Ontario.  

The OPP has the video up on Facebook - linked a few pages upstream of here, upside-down but like the audio still sounds OK, eh? - which specifically addresses misinformation on social media - they are not tooling drivers.   

I spoke to two OPP cops on ATV's on Saturday afternoon riding along right beside the Grand River in Brantford - moments before I messaged Mike, and only a few miles upstream of Brandon's episode! - and they said absolutely I could go fishing, here or anywhere.  I could drive up north with my canoe on my car, and I wouldn't be hassled or stopped or anything.  I queried them at length. They were unambiguous. They said that there were tons of false rumours on social media, in particular Facebook, that were simply not true. Go fishing, the cops told me! 

On an unrelated matter [don't ask, sheesh], I asked a different OPP cop via phone and text the same question today.   He texted me something along the lines of, "I would consider fishing non-essential travel and I would write you a ticket" or words to that effect.  I deleted the text, you know, just in case...  Ahem. 

I do intend to go fishing next week up north of the Soo, although it is mostly a climbing trip. I figure I will be bear bait with a canoe on top of my vehicle.  It just so happens that I am a financial advisor who sells funds, RRSPs and life insurance - considered essential - so I think I will throw a few Canada Life segregated fund apps into my briefcase, along with some business cards, you know, to make it look like I am actually working. Which everyone who knows me I never do. 

If they write me a ticket, I will fight it, for sure.  

Next week should be an adventure, it always is with me.  I'll report back here.  I'd love to hear yous guys' replies to the above. 

Cheers, eh? 
Pete

P.S. to any "haters" - really?  There can't be any haters in this forum, can there?  ;) I verily believe I can socially isolate a helluva lot better up north while climbing and fishing on a deserted cliff or lake, than I can in any routine visit to the grocery or beer store. You may disagree.  I will not need a rescue, with any luck. I have cheated death high above and deep beneath the earth for over 40 years without ever having been rescued, though I have nearly died quite a few times. [I confess my prideful sin, sorry]  And if I were to get sick, I would turn around and drive to the hospital in Hamilton, I wouldn't be going to any little hospital in northern Ontario, like the northern municipalities continually fear might happen. Like, seriously - who would? Think about it....  

Edited by passthepitonspete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, passthepitonspete said:

campfires are banned everywhere in Ontario.  

43 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

That's not true.

All outdoor fires, including campfires, were banned in the restricted fire zones as of April 3.

image.jpeg.4bc56d7cd895da88275c31de3c843146.jpeg

Links:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6769282/coronavirus-ontario-outdoor-fire-restriction/amp/

https://news.ontario.ca/mnr/en/2020/04/ontario-reducing-risk-of-fire-in-the-province.html

A large number of municipalities outside that restricted fire zone have instituted their own burn bans as well, so you should check each specific area to avoid a hefty fine.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/london/2020/4/3/1_4881663.html

10 hours ago, passthepitonspete said:

<big snip>

P.S. to any "haters" - really?  There can't be any haters in this forum, can there?  ;) I verily believe I can socially isolate a helluva lot better up north while climbing and fishing on a deserted cliff or lake, than I can in any routine visit to the grocery or beer store. You may disagree.  I will not need a rescue, with any luck. I have cheated death high above and deep beneath the earth for over 40 years without ever having been rescued, though I have nearly died quite a few times. [I confess my prideful sin, sorry]  And if I were to get sick, I would turn around and drive to the hospital in Hamilton, I wouldn't be going to any little hospital in northern Ontario, like the northern municipalities continually fear might happen. Like, seriously - who would? Think about it....  

Supertopo  refugee ?!!!!  

was lurker there, sorry to see it go to sleep.

13 hours ago, passthepitonspete said:

Thing #1:  I was communicating with Mike Borger when his son got kicked out of the river on Saturday.  Mike instant messaged me on Monday to say that the cops finally called him back on the phone, and informed him that the riverbed is owned by the GRCA, which is closed. 

Thanks for the follow-up. This is what I was referring to in my posts above.