Coronavirus.

7 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

What is the acronym LTC stand for?

The zoning will be on your annual tax roll, our tax statement says we are zoned "hazardous agriculture seasonal residential."

My wife tells me I believe everything initially because I'm a Libra. My scales are tipped towards the $750.00 ticket doesn't exist. 

I have never paid much attention to the tax statement.  we just have it set up for automated quarterly payments out of the Canadian account at Scotia.  I think it is way too high but then I do the eagles to maple leafs  discount and I feel a little better.  The main reason that I think it is high is that for the tax we have hardly any service.  About the only thing is supposedly fire and police, but we are so far out the cottage would be ashes before they got here.  we have no water, sewage ...no anything.

I am with you, I think the $750 ticket is a rumor that got fed on the internet.

2 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:
2 hours ago, ketchenany said:

OI was getting to much TLC!

The Learning Channel? 

have never paid much attention to the tax statement.  we just have it set up for automated quarterly payments out of the Canadian account at Scotia.  I think it is way too high but then I do the eagles to maple leafs  discount and I feel a little better.  The main reason that I think it is high is that for the tax we have hardly any service.  About the only thing is supposedly fire and police, but we are so far out the cottage would be ashes before they got here.  we have no water, sewage ...no anything.

I am with you, I think the $750 ticket is a rumor that got fed on the internet.

I have close relatives that live all across the U.S.A. including Honolulu. Each and everyone of them swear on a stack of Bibles that their county has the highest tax rate in the free World. Then I show them ours and they change the subject. Services, services? What are services? I have had to call 911 twice for what turned out to be very serious. 2 volunteer Firefighters were here in 20 minutes and the on call ambulance was here in 30 minutes. We all knew that before signing on the dotted line to finalize the sale. 

I don't think you and I are the only ones to question this now infamous 750 buck ticket. The pic has absolutely nothing to do with C-19. I posted it because I like it. 

450 hp times 6.jpg

Edited by Old Ironmaker

11 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I have close relatives that live all across the U.S.A. including Honolulu. Each and everyone of them swear on a stack of Bibles that their county has the highest tax rate in the free World. Then I show them ours and they change the subject. Services, services? What are services? I have had to call 911 twice for what turned out to be very serious. 2 volunteer Firefighters were here in 20 minutes and the on call ambulance was here in 30 minutes. We all knew that before signing on the dotted line to finalize the sale. 

I don't think you and I are the only ones to question this now infamous 750 buck ticket. The pic has absolutely nothing to do with C-19. I posted it because I like it. 

450 hp times 6.jpg

Our corporate tax rates are high, personal tax rates aren't too bad if you understand the tax code and have a good CPA.

The thing with Canadian taxes that blows me away are the death taxes.

Since you like the big CC's, this is a video from down here on the Bama coast.  39 Ft NorTech @ 94.1 mph.

Guy that owns Grander Marine made his fortune with Waffle Houses.

7 hours ago, Terry said:

So why the hell not people who can not access their very expensive high mortgage cottages. 

Hey... you've been to mine and know it ain't no very expensive high mortgage cottage. It's a dump and paid for and when I decide it's time to be there I won't need no launch ramp... LOL

Edited by irishfield

Cisco, Toronto is not ontario. I agree, most international travel happens in the big cities, and that is why cases are so high among the general population.

But they are specifically talking about how so many healthcare workers tested positive. Toronto was on the low end of those percentages. Peterborough was 45 percent of cases, on the high end, which is where the first spike in deaths occurred.

They also specifically say that of the health care workers tested positive, most got it from travel. They were very quick to point that out, to dispell notions that it was being spread despite PPE's and clinical precautions.

Again my whole point is that if i get sick, its no big loss to a critical system. If a healthcare worker is infected, right away the effect is felt exponentially. Especially in a smaller region. That person is quarantined, and so are anyone they came in contact with, which, if you are a heathcare worker, means other healthcare workers. Who picks up the slack, work extra shift, and are at an even greater risk due too fatigue in a dangerous situation? Their co-workers. 

For the record, i have spoken to an opp officer, hospital staff, paramedic, and a volunteer firefighter. All agree. 

I am sure there will be some serious investigations into how it got into the one sector of our population that we knew was at risk, and had no way of really isolating themselves.

• Like 1

You are intentionally trying to misrepresent things and paint a target of sort onto healthcare workers. 

I am done with you. Learn to read and to stop lying about healthcare workers. They are no more responsible for bringing the virus into Ontario than anyone else.         

Lol. I am lying and need to learn how to read? What am I mis representing? They also mention in the article that those are only frontline staff. Nurses, doctors, PSW's. The numbers are much higher if they included support staff, like food prep or custodial. So who is misrepresenting?

I am trying to paint a target on a system that failed to protect people who can't protect themselves. Not the workers themselves. But in my opinion, the only way to prevent, or at least lessen the impact of another pandemic, is to limit travel. 

Again, it's the question of how so many people who can't travel and who are dependent on others for care, were so heavily infected.

Was it family? Frontline staff? Or support staff? Had to be one of those 3, correct? 

I don't think it's a random coincidence that healthcare workers were one of the most heavily infected sectors of the population, and infections in LTC were so high. Again, every infected healthcare worker also effects the system exponentially, so if you can remove or minimize those infections, you are better able to deal with infections among the general population. To me that makes sense, but I am ignorant and cant read. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nlpaintballer said:

I am trying to paint a target on a system that failed to protect people who can't protect themselves. Not the workers themselves. But in my opinion, the only way to prevent, or at least lessen the impact of another pandemic, is to limit travel.

That's my opinion too. From the WHO right on down, federal, provincial, and all the so called expert advisors, total incompetence, resulting in thousands of lives needlessly lost

I talked to, from a distance, a busy body guy who lives up here in Haliburton and knows a lot of cottagers, he's heard of 3 incidents of cops pulling over cottager's cars on hwy 35 and telling them to go home, 2 refused and got $750 tickets  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chris.brock said:

cops pulling over cottager's cars on hwy 35 and telling them to go home, 2 refused and got $750 tickets  

Typical for a lot of cops; enforcing their opinion, not the actual law. Before they amended the highway traffic act (That only happened 3 or 4 years ago; now all exterior light must work) all you needed was a license plate light and one red or amber tail light on the back of vehicle. This applies to a vehicle under 20 feet long and less the 80 inches wide. I was pulled over in my 50 Chevy for not signaling a turn I had just made and that my brake lights were not working. I told him I did signal and show that I was stopping; by using hand signals. He said he didn't see any hand signals. I told him maybe he was looking for lights to hard and that they are not required. Well he wrote me up anyway. Went to court with the highway traffic act book in hand and a buddy of mine that is a retired MTO enforcement officer. The ticket was thrown out and I enjoyed watching the cop wiping the egg off his face.  

Dan.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I talked to, from a distance, a busy body guy who lives up here in Haliburton and knows a lot of cottagers, he's heard of 3 incidents of cops pulling over cottager's cars on hwy 35 and telling them to go home, 2 refused and got $750 tickets  

Sounds like another "I was told by a buddy who was told by a buddy" story especially since the OPP have stated they are not doing this.

• Like 4

Opp stated today cops are not stopping people 

here is their media release

The OPP is advising the public that police are not conducting random traffic stops to check motorists’ work status during the COVID-19 pandemic, nor are drivers required to prove they are an essential worker to police. - Caledon OPP photo 

The OPP has “no idea” why there are people pretending to be police officers and stopping motorists to check their essential worker status during the coronavirus pandemic.

So far, Wellington County OPP has released information about two suspects, including one who has already been arrested and charged, but Const. Cheri Rockefeller says there certainly could be more than one impostor still out there.

“There are other people that have had these same experiences. We cannot rule anything out at this point,” Rockefeller told The Banner.

“It’s bizarre,” she explained. “We have no idea why. Are they wannabes? Are they power tripping? Are they doing it for other sinister reasons? We have no idea.”

Cop's interpretation of the law is as bad as some Judges and Lawyers interpretation. Some years back OPP out here were ticketing owners of vehicles that had the hitch balls on their vehicles and still do I'm sure. It is not against the Hwy Traffic Act to travel with the hitch ball on a vehicle. I am regularly reminded I'm breaking the law from some citizen with good intensions. 

Be careful Cisco and Nlpaintballer. If you guys keep it up Art is going to close this thread just because of you two. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Some years back OPP out here were ticketing owners of vehicles that had the hitch balls on their vehicles and still do I'm sure. It is not against the Hwy Traffic Act to travel with the hitch ball on a vehicle. I am regularly reminded I'm breaking the law from some citizen with good intensions.  

Leaving in the hitch and ball isn't an offense as long as it doesn't obstruct the viewing of the licence plate.

Mine is usually left in on my jeep. But my licence plate isn't obstructed by it. 

• Like 2

There are idiots out there posing as Police. An OPP spokesman said:

“It’s bizarre,” she explained. “We have no idea why. Are they wannabes? Are they power tripping? Are they doing it for other sinister reasons? We have no idea.”

I know why they are doing it, they have lost it staying indoors 24/7 and keeping social distancing for well over a month. We are  about to have those individuals dealing with mental health issues that are going to be filling emergency rooms. I know personally a few friends that have never had a panic attack are starting to get them now. I've had a few and they are not fun. 

5 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Cop's interpretation of the law is as bad as some Judges and Lawyers interpretation. Some years back OPP out here were ticketing owners of vehicles that had the hitch balls on their vehicles and still do I'm sure. It is not against the Hwy Traffic Act to travel with the hitch ball on a vehicle. I am regularly reminded I'm breaking the law from some citizen with good intensions. 

Be careful Cisco and Nlpaintballer. If you guys keep it up Art is going to close this thread just because of you two. 

That sounds ridiculous! I have seen lots of vehicles with hitches plus ball driving around. Used to have one myself A real PITA to remove. what's the harm in leaving on?

1 hour ago, SirCranksalot said:

That sounds ridiculous! I have seen lots of vehicles with hitches plus ball driving around. Used to have one myself A real PITA to remove. what's the harm in leaving on?

There is no harm unless the license plate is obstructed then they can fine you. As explained above. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Woodsman said:

Sounds like another "I was told by a buddy who was told by a buddy" story especially since the OPP have stated they are not doing this.

no, he talked to each of them directly, he runs a small marina/ boat storage operation thing

if you want to back up your opinion with a wager, $100 or whatever, I'll post a picture in a week of a $750 ticket from hwy 35 from one of these cottagers?

Edited by chris.brock
  • Thanks 1

And the ticket would only say it was for violate an order under the current laws.

And I should believe you because "he talked to them" when the OPP are stating otherwise? 

IIRC you've been the one telling everyone to stay at home but somehow justifying why your at your cottage.

It’s become wildly apparent after seeing what Mike Borger and his son went through on the weekend the whole Coronavirus prevention thing has become a giant pissing match. (Super high level overview, borgers teenage son was fishing alone standing in the grand and had the police called on him...more ensued and If you care to know look on Facebook)

People are growing increasingly agitated and the age of social media has provided an avenue for them to release their frustration. 

At the end of the day, everyone is going to take wildly different levels of precaution when it comes to all aspects of their life. Just like some people would never drive a bass boat 100kmh or a snowmobile 160kmh across a lake, people are going to consider their risk tolerance and make the decision for themselves as to what they deem appropriate. There are laws in place and if you aren’t breaking the law then people should consider holding off on calling the police or being hyper critical.  The common consensus though is that we should all understand by this point that we should be staying the heck away from anyone that doesn’t reside within your houshold. I know multiple people violating that rule and it’s disappointing to say the least. 

when it comes to stay home measures, I think the best approach is a common sense one. First of all, whatever you do just make sure you aren’t interacting with people unnecessarily. Second of all, protect yourself, consider the surfaces you touch and wash your damn hands!

while some are critical of others for going out fishing or moving around a bit outside, I’m sure I have the opportunity to be entirely critical of their sanitation practices when they complete their essential shopping. Where I take certain measures to the extreme (I.e. when I shop I wear a mask and gloves, I bring sanitizing wipes and wipe absolutely every surface I touch immediately I then bring my groceries home and wipe every item down with sanitizing wipes, it’s a whole damn process and a pain in the you know what!) others may not consider such drastic actions but then will criticize me driving to a local river to fish.

i think we need to focus on the real problem people, the deniers, the misinformation spreaders, the anti government/anti coronavirus law protestors, the rude unsanitary clueless jerks that seem to think that the line up outside the grocery store doesn’t apply to them. Focus your energy on them, they are the real problem, the other 99% of us are doing a pretty damn good job. The stats so far are telling us as such. If you want to spend time roasting people, go and find one of the idiots screaming about this thing being a total scam and focus your energy there. They are far more dangerous than other 99% of us who are doing our best while trying to maintain our mental stability living in our new reality.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 4