Coronavirus.

29 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

HE is hardly to blame in any of this. 

...I want to reply...but I promised I wouldn’t 😂 

theres now huge protests in Kentucky with people waving trump 2020 flags begging to go back to work.

ohio, art, please stay safe guys, sounds like this is going to get way crazier for you guys down there.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHAT PART OF THIS IS A FAMILY SITE THAT IS PROMOTING GOOD FEELINGS AND TOURISM DO YOU ALL NOT GET??????? We are all part of this and throwing mud at each other and there political leaders is not acceptable. 

Art

• Like 1

They are talking about a gradual reopening here around May 1st, I would like to see those new case numbers drop significantly by then, or we could risk an even tougher next round? there will be even more resistance to another shutdown. 20,000+ new cases a day just doesn't sound like something under control?

• Like 1

Canadian numbers, overall, are looking better, but Ontario and Quebec are still posting big numbers. I can't see anything opening up here till end of May. Earliest. I think the time has come to finally clean out the garage.  

stay safe, and be well everyone

• Like 2

Just now, woodenboater said:

Canadian numbers, overall, are looking better, but Ontario and Quebec are still posting big numbers. I can't see anything opening up here till end of May. Earliest. I think the time has come to finally clean out the garage.  

Stay the course! We’re collectively doing a fantastic job! Looking at the numbers I’m now feeling far more confident that we can probably be doing very well by the beginning of summer. It’s going to take 100% commitment to our current restrictions.

does anyone else get the feeling that we are pretty much at the “limit” of government restrictions without the expectation of additional ones unless a specific hot spot fires up?

i noticed a pattern since this all started that every week they tightened the grip allowing for the gradual tightening of restrictions. We now haven’t had any additional ones for a few weeks and we are basically approaching what was the hopeful peak of transmission numbers. I’m hopeful that we are directly on the right path. 

total normalcy is IMO many many months away and sports concerts that kind of stuff is probably years away. But maybe we might be able to go visit family and friends in a small gathering by summer. I’m trying to remain hopeful. 

12 minutes ago, woodenboater said:

As I recall don't both have the largest populations of the provinces? More people, more contact?

51 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

You Trump bashers make me laugh...and believe me, I'm not a fan of Trump, but HE is hardly to blame in any of this. Since when does a world problem that originated from who know's where - - China will never tell, become his fault? As a neighbor of the US, it sounds like you are blaming the US that Canada has the C19 virus within it's borders. Just like anyone...when you can't accept any of the blame yourself, you just point at someone else. 

But I get...some people like to bash others just to make themselves feel better...it's part of human nature. 

T-bone, I wasn't trying to "bash" anyone, and of course no person (or country) is responsible for the virus. Pandemics are natural occurrences.

I was stating my opinion on the job performance of a politician in response to it. I understand you may have a different opinion and you are fully entitled to it.

I was not trying to blame the American people for there being COVID-19 cases in Canada. Sorry if my post gave you that impression.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

The numbers would be more meaningful if they were given as a percentage of the number tested. Obviously if we ramp up the testing the numbers will go up.

That number would also be misrepresented in the infection rate.

As it stands now the group getting tested are those more likely to get infected which would increase the percentage.

If all segments of the population were tested the percent infected would drop.

• Like 2

I left me house today, I went for a drive with the Mrs.  You know where I went?  To the pharmacy.  Yeah, my Dr thinks I may have pneumonia not CV-19.  So he sent a RX for pills and a puffer for that.  He is following up with me in a week.  If I'm not feeling better by then I am to go to the hospital and report as to what I have been doing and taking.  

I have been in my house since Mar 18th doing nada.  In that time I found 2 of my warm mist humidifiers that are filter-less to have a dark brown almost black wet mold in them (we found them in this state Wed evening when going to fill them for the night).  One in my bedroom and one in the hall.  So with that said, check your filter-less systems folks.  

Well, it looks like my state is going to partially open back up next week.  We are definitely not a hot spot.   the confirmed cases are .0009% of the population with a fatality rate of .03%.  Of the fatalities, 72% were over 65 and 87% falling into some form of high risk group.

I am glad.  I need a haircut like a fat baby needs a Mama.

• Like 1

We found out that we lost my wife's aunt to the virus yesterday. She was in a home, late 80's in age. It was touch and go last weekend, she spiked a fever, than on Monday, she felt good and was eating ice cream.

Her fever spiked again on Tuesday and by Thursday, she was gone.

This thing is decimating our older population. We need to stay the course to save who we can.

HH 

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

We found out that we lost my wife's aunt to the virus yesterday. She was in a home, late 80's in age. It was touch and go last weekend, she spiked a fever, than on Monday, she felt good and was eating ice cream.

This thing is decimating our older population. We need to stay the course to save who we can.

HH 

Technically, I am high risk, I have no underlying health issues other than 65 birthdays.  To start opening things back up it is going to take a huge amount of common sense, both by customers and service providers.

We can't stay closed forever.  Sooner or later there will be no money for anything including health concerns.

And that is the bottom line 

at some point businesses are going to open up and the virus will still be out there 

so Soon or 6 months from now  it’s going to be a struggle  to keep people save and work within the new reality 

1 hour ago, Headhunter said:

HH 

My Sincere Condolences To Your Family

• Like 3

On 4/12/2020 at 10:40 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

I can count on one hand how many times I ate a hotdog or bologna since I was 17. A buddy worked a summer at Shopsy's. He told us how they made it and what it was made from.

There's an old saying. "Never let anyone watch you make love to your wife or make sausages."

Just noticed this quip. Haha! Can't speak of Shopsies although many meat inspectors are on the job as required. They ensure everything from humane quick dispatch of animals to proper clothing, sanitation and meat inspection and handling.  That's why meat from companies have those round stickers on em with a number. That number says where it came from in case anything bad happens. Although I do recall a well known and hung out hamburger joint to have been fined a few times back in the 70's for having horse meat included I don't recall any Schneiders or Shopsies stuff creating sickness or getting fines. 

Too bad your buddy or another good friend didn't also spend a summer working in other industries to warn you about your cigarettes, and working at Stelco in its glory days of noxious chemicals. If you worry about hotdogs maybe have another ciggy before to brace yourself. Smoked sausage IMO is better than regular anyways.  

14 hours ago, Terry said:

And that is the bottom line 

at some point businesses are going to open up and the virus will still be out there 

so Soon or 6 months from now  it’s going to be a struggle  to keep people save and work within the new reality 

The goal has always been to keep ICU and Critical Care units able to handle the number of patients needing respirators. This is the reason for the shut down. Right now in hospitals near me it seems the number of patients requiring them is still increasing. IMO the seniors in Homes aren't being taken in to hospitals with the virus unless they can be stabilized'. So they pass at the Homes rather than get to ventilators. 

With 500 new cases per day even though more testing is being done, the number of people needing respirators is 'piling up' since it takes several days to get to the stage of needing oxygen. Ones on ventilators may be on for 12-14 days also so things are also piling up on that end.

Ontario shouldn't end lock down until a clear trend in reduced ventilator need is established and more is known through tests that haven't been started yet..... antibody testing, to see if and how many people have developed anti-virus enzymes (resistance). 

Several US states have decided to open back up to some extent, like Florida, so will be important to measure effects. That state and others opening back up haven't been hit as hard as ones like New York or California, but it is vital to see if 'new waves' or surges occur. We in Ontario need to study these attempts very closely. 

Edited by cisco

On 4/15/2020 at 1:13 PM, Fisherman said:

Well I'll have to check that out,  maybe takes a prescription from the Doc.  I'm about 1/2 way through, down to the red box and a week and a half or so to go.

Good on ya' Fisherman. Yes you must be enrolled in the program by your M.D. Hopefully you have it beat but if you need another go around have your Doc enroll you. I might have already said that my wife brought home some Nicorette spray and gum. It's working not to bad but I'm still reaching for my cigarettes. Got in the truck yesterday to move it and there sits 3/4's  of a smash of tar. I held it in my hand for what felt like forever, yep I lit it and coughed my lungs out. Tossed it out the window and let out a cheer. 

Alberta is starting up

bc is preparing to start up

i think it is too early , but I’m betting in a week or two. We will start up. Maybe local businesses that employ local people in areas with little or no out breaks with testing and some distancing. It will happen 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

, yep I lit it and coughed my lungs out. Tossed it out the window and let out a cheer. 

Wait until your sense of smell comes back. A key for a family friend that recently quit said when he realized how friggin much he stank he was disgusted and vowed to never smoke again.

we all know alberta is going to go first. I hope dougie forgets his political alignment and continues to do the fine job (if I must say so myself) that him and his team have done so far managing this thing.

imo any roll out should simply begin with allowing some people to go back to work, with no social restrictions being lifted at all. Test the waters with that and then go from there.