Coronavirus.

Oh and here is an entertaining Scotty Kilmer vid on how to use an ozone generator like Wayne and I have to deal with things like covid-19 safely. Keep in mind when you sterilize a mask or whatever you don't even know if it is contaminated or not. IMO save masks and periodically process a bunch. A local hospital is now stationing cardboard boxes lined with those yellow bio hazard bags at exits so disposable masks from staff leaving work can be tossed in for sterilization and reuse if needed. I plan to keep letting folks here know what I am hearing/seeing from local healthcare pros. Hope I'm not boring anyone... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cisco said:

Agencies like the EPA only assess stuff like liquids re sanitizers so ozone isn't something they assessed for virus control. Same with UV lights. Kinda silly looking at things now. Here is the best I found re how ozone works, effectiveness and safety during use.

https://www.aeroqual.com/does-ozone-kill-coronavirus-covid-19

was at Mt Sinai at the NICU and my phone was put into a small UV unit for sterilizing (?). didn't take very long. as well UV bulbs can be bought at most home reno stores. just don't stare at the bulbs.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Superbird???

Yep..  good eye. Must have been the A pillar deflector.. lol Atlanta Motor Speedway back in October. Had hoped to go down to Alabama again this October for another 50th anniversary gathering, but that ain't gonna happen.

leahwayneatlanta1.jpg

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, woodenboater said:

was at Mt Sinai at the NICU and my phone was put into a small UV unit for sterilizing (?). didn't take very long. as well UV bulbs can be bought at most home reno stores. just don't stare at the bulbs.

I doubt home depot bulbs are going to do the job.  You need a specific dose of UVC to kill SARS-CoV1 and there has been no real testing yet on a dose for SARS-CoV2 (which causes COVID-19). UVC can give you a severe sunburn in a very short time and can damage your eyes.

There are going to be a lot of hucksters selling UV sterilization in the near future - buyer beware.

http://www.iuva.org/COVID-19

37E9A6D1-2442-4899-84CF-2C197D10D765.jpeg

Edited by Dutch01

An alternative solution is to make a mask at home that can be washed. Nobody knows how effective the various N95 masks are but,IMO, anything is better than nothing as long as you still follow the other saftey measures. A well made mask will fit quite securely. There are many patterns and instruction on-line

• Like 1

I could make a tray slot to sterilize stuff in our furnace, as I installed UV sterilizers on both the cold air intake and above the A/C coil when Jen was fighting Sarcoma, but that said we have no intentions of leaving the property.. so at this stage at least not a requirement here.

OF COURSE WITH THE FAN TURNED OFF !!!

Edited by irishfield

4 hours ago, irishfield said:

Yep..  good eye. Must have been the A pillar deflector.. lol Atlanta Motor Speedway back in October. Had hoped to go down to Alabama again this October for another 50th anniversary gathering, but that ain't gonna happen.

leahwayneatlanta1.jpg

LOL, I had a couple of cars that I set mouse traps in, they were both Chrysler products.

5 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

I doubt home depot bulbs are going to do the job.  You need a specific dose of UVC to kill SARS-CoV1 and there has been no real testing yet on a dose for SARS-CoV2 (which causes COVID-19). UVC can give you a severe sunburn in a very short time and can damage your eyes.

There are going to be a lot of hucksters selling UV sterilization in the near future - buyer beware.

http://www.iuva.org/COVID-19

37E9A6D1-2442-4899-84CF-2C197D10D765.jpeg

thanks for mentioning this, forgot to clarify. But yeah, can see opportunists coming out of the woodwork to scam people.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, irishfield said:

leahwayneatlanta1.jpg

That and the nose welting in the top pic. Huge mopar fan here. Never owned one, just wasn’t in the cards for me. ‘68-‘72 anything mopar was always out of my reach and never liked anything out of that range except the 66-67 gtx’s. 

In the early 80’s I could have had a bird for $1000. It was disassembled and, well it wasn’t in the cards then either. I lived at home and my dad wouldn’t entertain the project. 

And that’s a beauty 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

I'm still trying to make sense of some of the info out there, supposedly this started with people eating wild animals?

A tiger at the Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus - CNN

If a wild animal can get it and spread it? Why not a dog or cat?

If you don't mind a long read there's some good info on the virus here. Coles notes:

-They say there is evidence of the virus past presence in both bats and pangolins

-It's possible the virus jumped to a human already in its final form, and it's also possible a progenitor of the virus circulated undetected in the human population and the final mutation occurred in humans touching off the pandemic.

-They suggest that everything we know about the virus now makes unlikely that it was genetically modified in a lab, and that it appears to have been created through selection.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

Edited by Dutch01
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dutch01 said:

If you don't mind a long read there's some good info on the virus here. Coles notes:

-They say there is evidence of the virus past presence in both bats and pangolins

-It's possible the virus jumped to a human already in its final form, and it's also possible a progenitor of the virus circulated undetected in the human population and the final mutation occurred in humans touching off the pandemic.

-They suggest that everything we know about the virus now makes unlikely that it was genetically modified in a lab, and that it appears to have been created through selection.

It’s proven that cats can get Covid 19. I have a coworker who’s cat died of it last fall. There was no treatment for it in NA but there was in China. (Wasn’t approved here yet)

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

4 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

Thanks Dutch, there is a lot bigger selection over there and it's probably easier for a weak link to be found.

9 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

I didn't think that idea had any credibility except among the hard core conspiracy theorists. They would not be convinced by scientific evidence anyway. The only cure for those people is to have the Martians scoop them up and take them away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2020 at 10:21 AM, grimsbylander said:

And in the last 3.5 years neither did Trump. This is not a time to point fingers. The current situation is unprecedented. It is however front and center with many governments now that the impact is clearly known. Both from a healthcare and warfare standpoint. 

H1N1 was in 2009. Obama had 7 years to replenish the stocks.

7 of his 8 years in office!!!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

H1N1 was in 2009. Obama had 7 years to replenish the stocks.

7 of his 8 years in office!!!!

Guess he also should have borrowed your crystal ball. I’m not sure why only US presidents are being called out for this. Pointless conversation. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

Are there any impacts on Great Lakes shipping?

It's having a huge impact on air and ocean freight. .Some of my air freight costs have tripled so I moved some shipments to ocean and the ship sailing has been delayed twice now.