Coronavirus.

4 hours ago, woodenboater said:

I don't see problem with it. whether it's a direct analogy or not is not *that* important to me. The message is that we let them land and we took care of them. so the shoe is *almost* on the other foot today, and instead of denying us landing rights, he's denying us ppe, which we need. I get wanting to keep them for themselves. but they're reacting to poor planning, and as 3M has stated, this could lead to retaliatory measures, which will hurt both the US, and the rest of the world. Basically, stuff like this will lead others to believe the US will not have their backs when the chips are down. 

Look, I am not going to get into a urinating contest here, but for every rock thrown there is a legitimate one to be thrown back.  Having been married to a Canadian since 1985, I fully understand the undercurrent of anti American sentiment.

As I said before, be careful what you wish for.

• Like 2

I can't think of better neighbours to have (well maybe Australians) so there's no anti Americanism here. In all my trips across the border, business or personal, I've never met friendlier people. Great people in Dunedin, Boston, and even New Jersey ;) .As well, our PM has already ruled out retaliatory measures, cuz that gets us nowhere.

be safe, stay safe everyone

Edited by woodenboater
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, misfish said:

WOW

Would love to reply , but no politics allowed here .

5 minutes ago, misfish said:

I understand, but the fact remains that he never replaced one single mask after the Swine Flu.

Look, most everyone is going to be fine and this will all be in the rear view mirror sooner than later.

I am a realistic guy, the media throws numbers out there for hysteria impact.  If you notice, they always tout the number of cases but, never ever say how many have totally recovered.  they also tout the numbers but never put them in context to the total population.

Yeah, it is serious, is it going to pass, absolutely.

I will admit that I have a huge independent streak and have never followed the herd mentality, but I absolutely refuse to let this thing totally upend my life.

I will do my part to minimize it but I am not going to crawl into a hole and stop my life.

I played golf this morning and we did the entire distancing thing, can't touch the flag and only one person per cart.  It was great.

I am going fishing in the morning dead by myself and will be far safer than those wearing masks going to Wallyworld.

13 minutes ago, woodenboater said:

I can't think of better neighbours to have (well maybe Australians) so there's no anti Americanism here. In all my trips across the border, business or personal, I've never met friendlier people. Great people in Dunedin, Boston, and even New Jersey ;) .As well, our PM has already ruled out retaliatory measures, cuz that gets us nowhere.

As are 98% of all Canadians that I have met in the last 35 years.

• Like 1

Please lets not get into a "us" versus "them" thing here, we are all in the same boat. Just because one person doesn't want to row with the team doesn't mean we should all stop.

The death toll is into the tens of thousands already and this is a long way from over. It might not seem like much yet but if you or one of your family make it into those numbers it will become a lot more significant I bet! 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

I started watching that program while I was in the hospital, dude struck me as a phony.

You would think those doing the show would know about this kinda crap .LOL

Oh well, guess my next on the list is Philly . Meet Rocky and eat at Adrian's . He is my hero .:good:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

Lock down coming really soon if you guys keep it up!!(On this thread and in reallife)

Understood.  I will put my good boy pants on.😇

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, how is the weather that way?

Edited by Crimsongulf

3 hours ago, woodenboater said:

Retaliation could hurt somebody else down the line anyway.  For instance, if the Canadian company that supplies 3M with the redwood paper pulp needed for masks,  could cause 3m’s production to suffer and ultimately people may die due to lack of PPE’s . Innocent people that had nothing to do with the politics. And it would hurt Canadian jobs. It’s not a win situation 

• Like 1

Just to be clear.. there is ZERO pulp in an N95 mask. The Red Cedar pulp is used in basic surgical / procedure masks and paper style gowns. Stop reading crap on facebook.... and spreading fake news.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-vancouver-island-pulp-mill-supplies-materials-for-medical-protective/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, irishfield said:

Just to be clear.. there is ZERO pulp in an N95 mask. The Red Cedar pulp is used in basic surgical / procedure masks and paper style gowns. Stop reading crap on facebook.... and spreading fake news.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-vancouver-island-pulp-mill-supplies-materials-for-medical-protective/

Thanks Wayne. Saved me the trouble and much more eloquently as well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, irishfield said:

Ah, I didn’t know that. I don’t snopes everything I hear or read. Regardless of what product or industry we sell to the US, the retaliatory measures could cause harm . Perhaps not with humanitarian efforts, but to our exports and jobs. Especially if that Moron sees it just to strike back to have the last say because his Ego got hurt, or he’s tired of bullying 3M, governors or whomever. The Autoparts makers in Ontario feed the big three. Losing that work to Us or Mexico would hurt a lot of families. Though I suppose we may well see that with a coming recession/depression.

Here is a good IMHO way to sew masks for yourselves and to donate to local hospitals if it comes down to it.

FYI we all may be reusing masks soon. The CDC in the US  has advised to wear a mask when going outside. Demand is rising while supplies are running out. Masks can be decontaminated without damaging the material by either ozone treatment or with UV light. US hospital is using the UV room cleansing devices ($10,000 each) to decontaminate masks hung on clothes lines in the room. UV can't go around corners though so it should be re-positioned to get all of the mask or mirrors can be also stationed to allow full mask exposure.

I like ozone since it can be made quite easily via low cost ozone generators. Need an open space like a empty parking lot or roof top and an enclosed space (car in this example) to toss masks in with the car's recirculating lever on (not on the fresh air setting). While engine with heater on maximum and with recirculating fan on you run the car with all windows/hatches closed for about 70 minutes. Everything using oxygen to live or with oxygen in it's wall structure will be destroyed. Then since ozone is bad to breathe you must open all doors and turn fan to fresh air and also if you are in a hurry blow with another fan to help empty the ozone out. Scotty Kilmer a mechanic on Yutube has a good vid on it and he has a PHD so is clear on it's possibilities and process. IMO a car can be used without running also as long as a battery hookup keeps the fan running without dying. His vid is aimed at decontaminating the car and I've just added masks to the job.

Looks like it may come to this so smart folks here may have ideas how to best accomplish mask decontamination without fabric-damaging stuff like bleach. I'm thinking an old sealing fridge outside in a safe area with a small ozone generator inside on the bottom with electric cord easily running through the seal. 3 hours and whatever life form or virus in there is toast. Open while standing upwind and turn a fan on to aid in emptying the fridge of the ozone. Ozone generators are about $70. on Amazon but with exchange and shipping it's more like $220.. I know cuz I just got one. Clothes/masks, gowns, anything can be done. It is known that the generators kill Sars which is also a corona virus and studies are strongly suggesting same deal with this one.  

Sorry about the long post but with time on our hands and sewing machines/old fridges and Amazon around we may need ways to better protect ourselves and others and to help hospitals needing PPEs.

Edited by cisco
  • Like 1