Coronavirus.

We finally got our answer today about our summer trip to the cottage from the CBSA.  We should be good since TW is still a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport and with immediate family in Canada and I get to tag along.

Very nice gentleman, he did suggest that if things haven't calmed down by 12 June to get a corona test and have the results with us.

He did have a sense of humor in that he told us the difficulty at the border would depend on who was in the booth.  Been there, done that.

Today was the 1st time I got antsy about being shuttered in. I was a Bear. Just the thought of not being able to go to lunch and pop into the store to pick up a few things irked me. And I don't go anywhere in the winter anyway. But today it p&^^ed me off for some reason. I can't imagine being locked up with kids for 3 weeks, or more. 

There won't be a problem for you Crimsontide. According to your President everything will be back to normal by Easter. 

16 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Today was the 1st time I got antsy about being shuttered in. I was a Bear. Just the thought of not being able to go to lunch and pop into the store to pick up a few things irked me. And I don't go anywhere in the winter anyway. But today it p&^^ed me off for some reason. I can't imagine being locked up with kids for 3 weeks, or more. 

There won't be a problem for you Crimsontide. According to your President everything will be back to normal by Easter. 

Well, that isn't exactly what he said what he said.  He said he hoped it could be.  So do I, not saying it will happen but I hope it would.

A large portion of the media tends to distort or cherry pick what he says.  Here, most of the decisions are made at the state level.  Just this morning our Governor closed non essential businesses till April 17th.   There is no federal mandate on much of anything.

5 minutes ago, Crimsongulf said:

Well, that isn't exactly what he said what he said.  He said he hoped it could be.  So do I, not saying it will happen but I hope it would.

A large portion of the media tends to distort or cherry pick what he says.  Here, most of the decisions are made at the state level.  Just this morning our Governor closed non essential businesses till April 17th.   There is no federal mandate on much of anything.

I stand corrected. 

16 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Luckily political comments are banned here and so is swearing. Otherwise I could tell you what I think of that.🤨😐🤐  (OI---for you: "|Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from poor judgment."

SirCranks, read my mantra at the bottom of my page. 

Talk about getting confused. I listen to the talking heads on the news and the Doc's in the know, then I listen to many of the politicians,  say the opposite. 

Some provinces are giving big fines as well as jail time to those that think they are immune and wander around in stores window shopping. I'm not sure exactly which province where the 1st offence is a 5 grand fine and possible jail time and it goes up after that. We need that in Ontario in my opinion. Some duffuses just don't get it and I am all for throwing them in jail for 14 days. 

CBC Hamilton reports that the 2 Rez's we have out here in Haldimand County are being barricaded in order to stop any non residents from going into their reservations. No more cheap smokes and 65 cent gas for a while. 

11 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Talk about getting confused. I listen to the talking heads on the news and the Doc's in the know, then I listen to many of the politicians,  say the opposite. 

Some provinces are giving big fines as well as jail time to those that think they are immune and wander around in stores window shopping. I'm not sure exactly which province where the 1st offence is a 5 grand fine and possible jail time and it goes up after that. We need that in Ontario in my opinion. Some duffuses just don't get it and I am all for throwing them in jail for 14 days. 

CBC Hamilton reports that the 2 Rez's we have out here in Haldimand County are being barricaded in order to stop any non residents from going into their reservations. No more cheap smokes and 65 cent gas for a while. 

We barricaded our whole territory.

Only NWT residents and essential deliveries allowed in.

NWT residents have to self isolate for 14 when returning from outside.

We still only have 1 confirmed case to this point.

spacer.png

Edited by DRIFTER_016
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Same here JD confusing, our governor seems to be handling things as good as possible given the unknown factors, our president's story keeps changing. Two days ago the medical experts on the governor's daily briefing were saying we could see up to 8,000 new cases a day by mid May, today that went up to 10,000.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/03/26/ohio-could-still-see-surge-up-new-coronavirus-cases-day-by-may-dr-acton-suggests/

13 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Locking up those that don't quarantine or isolate , then last night I see some politician calling for releasing non violent offenders from prison early to reduce the spread in that system, we are being governed by idiots.  :wallbash:

• Like 3

I still think not enough is being done. Quebec’s  list of essential businesses makes much more sense than Ontario’s. We still stand a chance to keep this curve low.

I fear for our neighbours below the border. Over 18,000 new cases yesterday. How on earth are people who have lost their jobs going to pay for healthcare? The poorest are going to suffer the most as typical in pandemics. I hope they are going to put emergency measures in place to treat those without insurance coverage if they haven't already. Or they will suffer substantially more losses than any other country. ( in my uneducated opinion,  and I certainly hope I am wrong.)

I’m trying not to imagine how badly things can go should everything fall apart down there.  There’s already food shortages amongst the poor. Soup kitchens are already appealing to farms to secure food.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/03/27/ohio-hospitals-will-have-triple-capacity-predicted-mid-may-coronavirus-peak-according-cleveland-clinic/

Tripling your hospital capacity may be easier than tripling the number of qualified people to treat them?

" Increasing the hospitals’ capacity will require increased staffing; a real concern given the fact that approximately 16% of all Ohioans who tested positive for the coronavirus are health care workers. "

IMHO military needs to set up temporary field hospitals and isolation/quarantine residences. Motels/hotels are empty of tourists now and owners aren't making revenue so they can be easily taken over for this purpose especially close to airports where mandatory isolation/quarantine should made for all new arrivals for 14 day individual quarantine. Military ensures buses of arrivals go directly to the hotels/motels where military keeps the arrivals individually isolated/quarantined. Air travel got us into this mess in a hurry and it keeps digging the hole deeper for us all.

Military doctors should man the temporary field hospitals where ONLY Covid-19 patients go. Hospitals are for everything else. Respirators go to the field hospitals with enough left for regular hospitals AND the machines used for anesthetic purposes can be converted into respirators. A US government video has been prepared on how to do this. 

Canada is still allowing arrivals but with  'mandatory' isolation. Ya right. Someone away for a while will need to restock their home. Low odds on some not going to get supplies before holing up since they 'feel fine'. 

Need tougher measures to reduce the curve. Hospital workers aren't being tested but are only screened for any symptoms.  This IMO since if one has it then many go home. Gov't doesn't want this so.....  the expression 'canon fodder' applies. 

Must keep Covid-19 out of hospitals if not too late already. 

Military is for hazardous issues. This is one. I read that the 2 US navy hospital ships are to be used for regular things while hospitals are for Covid-19. Insane reasoning since Covid-19 is relatively easy to deal with. Protection of the military will cost the lives of many due to this. The ships should deal with it.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cisco said:

IMHO military needs to set up temporary field hospitals and isolation/quarantine residences. Motels/hotels are empty of tourists now and owners aren't making revenue so they can be easily taken over for this purpose especially close to airports where mandatory isolation/quarantine should made for all new arrivals for 14 day individual quarantine. Military ensures buses of arrivals go directly to the hotels/motels where military keeps the arrivals individually isolated/quarantined. Air travel got us into this mess in a hurry and it keeps digging the hole deeper for us all.

Military doctors should man the temporary field hospitals where ONLY Covid-19 patients go. Hospitals are for everything else. Respirators go to the field hospitals with enough left for regular hospitals AND the machines used for anesthetic purposes can be converted into respirators. A US government video has been prepared on how to do this. 

Canada is still allowing arrivals but with  'mandatory' isolation. Ya right. Someone away for a while will need to restock their home. Low odds on some not going to get supplies before holing up since they 'feel fine'. 

Need tougher measures to reduce the curve. Hospital workers aren't being tested but are only screened for any symptoms.  This IMO since if one has it then many go home. Gov't doesn't want this so.....  the expression 'canon fodder' applies. 

Must keep Covid-19 out of hospitals if not too late already. 

Military is for hazardous issues. This is one. I read that the 2 US navy hospital ships are to be used for regular things while hospitals are for Covid-19. Insane reasoning since Covid-19 is relatively easy to deal with. Protection of the military will cost the lives of many due to this. The ships should deal with it.  

Unfortunately common sense isn't very common any more. Sadly there are many instances of people not practicing self quarantine or social distancing.

My next door neighbour's kids just showed up yesterday from Fort Eire or where ever it is they live now and I looks like they are here for the duration, meanwhile they are out on the street talking to other neighbours, petting their dog...... Up until last weekend there was a bunch of them sitting in their garage drinking...... They run over to Timi's in the morning to get their coffee, some people just don't get it!

I just heard that a man that had just returned from France decided to go grocery shopping in Noelville (where he lives), the store is now closing so they can disinfect the entire place to protect other customers and staff.  JUST PLAIN STUPID and SELFISH!!!!

• Sad 2

My BIL and SIL flew from The Dominican Republic to Toronto then to Nova Scotia last week. Mandatory 14 day isolation. The 1st place they had to go was the grocery store. They had to stock up as they were away since October. So much for self isolation. 

Mother Nature is culling the herd. Thinning the population of countries that have too many people for the resources available and those that are elderly putting a strain on society. As well as the poor whom do not the funds to seek proper medical attention. I hate to say it but the impoverished are generally poorly educated and have less intelligence that most of the population. Therefor they contribute less to society. I know that's harsh but I didn't come up with that theory, it's been out there for centuries, i.e. The Black Plague.   

Italy and Spain are showing how it is dealt with at the crisis stage. Respirators are unhooked from less likely/older/feebler patients and attached to those more likely to survive. The ones taken off are sedated until they expire. A nearby hospital apparently is at 77% capacity as it has tried to vacate as many rooms as possible in preparation for what is to come. We all need pray that the curve can be flattened so at least ones with critical care needs can be taken care of at any given time. That really is the underlying goal of the Covid-19 response. Respirators require several expert staff to set up and to run. Along with this are injections and such needed throughout treatment. We need to protect our healthcare workers so they can be around to do their jobs as safely as possible. Thankfully China is sending supplies to Canada. We helped give them stuff at the beginning of their outbreak so nice to see reciprocal help.