Coronavirus.

3 hours ago, Whitespinnerbait said:

I was listening to his show on saturday......LIVE and sure he said if your " laid off " directly related to the coronavirus pandemic........you cannot consider this a dismisal or qualify for severance

I don't want to  get into a p&^^ing contest here I just want to get the facts right. Being laid off is dismissal. Like I said earlier on this forum there is no such thing as a temporary lay off, when you get that pink slip or whatever colour they are today is a dismissal, termination without cause, unless you have a collective bargaining agreement (CBA) clause or contract that supersedes the law in Ontario. I'll try to contact Ed Canning out of Hamilton tomorrow and find out what's what. It's very important to my wife to know exactly her rights. 30 years of service without a defined pension plan.

I posted here earlier that I recommend Ed Canning in Hamilton and Lior  Samfiru in the GTA if anyone had labour related questions. I listen to Mr. Samfiru's broadcast when I can and have called in a few times myself. I have learned much listening to Samfiru even with my 25 plus years dealing with what we called Industrial Relations now called H.R. I've been out of the loop for years. Never too late to learn. 

As far as the LCBO or The Beer Stores closing that would put a strain on our already tapped out health care system. Alcoholism is a disease and one just doesn't stop drinking cold turkey. They would be one of the last to shut down I predict.  

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

Well we are being told we are essential.

I work for a large multinational manufacturer... our plant does not make masks, gowns or gloves.  

1000+ factory workers.... this is definitely going to get worse, before it gets better.

But we are told to practice social distancing which is near to impossible!

Are they protecting us? Or their bottom line?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Stelco is considered essential so we are working.  My department has 4 or 5 in isolation and we can't find cleaning supplies or gloves. A few of our orders have been diverted to medical facilities but if they want to run they need to come up with a solution.  The old Stelco attitude is on full display on the frontline..

44 minutes ago, pics said:

Stelco is considered essential so we are working.  My department has 4 or 5 in isolation and we can't find cleaning supplies or gloves. A few of our orders have been diverted to medical facilities but if they want to run they need to come up with a solution.  The old Stelco attitude is on full display on the frontline..

Yes, found out this morning I am working as well .  Not sure how essential we are with all customers closed til mid April ?

Not complaining, keep banking those holidays .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gerritt said:

Thank you Gerrit. It's fairly clear, sort of.

Why producing steel is an essential service when other manufacturing isn't beats me. Pics, you have rights and I know that you know what they are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodenboater said:

well now Dollarama is considered essential ffs.

Line up again at Cabelas and Micheals  and the weed shack down the road .

Seems Honda has cut short their ,curve the virus shut down, along with other local suppliers that shut down, and will be back to production  sooner.

What say Ford ? You approve this ?

Edited by misfish

10 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Maybe carry one esp for your car door and steering wheel. e.g for filling the tank

That works but a pain to remember; at least for me.
Get a box of exam gloves. 
Yeah I know medical gloves are scares; but mechanic’s (Latex/rubber or whatever they are) gloves are still available. 
My one supplier shows  over a 100 boxes of gloves in stock. 100 gloves per box for around 15 bucks; that’s only 30 cents a pair. Use them and pitch them. Most of the brands are 5 mil. thick so they do not tare easily. I put a box in my truck; go into a store, I’m warring a pair. 
Dan. 

• Like 1

My sister works at Dollarama, she told me they have to stay open because they sell food, cleaning products, personal hygiene products..... she is being VERY careful, she is worried but also glad she can be there to help people. Doesn't surprise me at all, if she wasn't working there she'd be volunteering at a hospital or something.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DanD said:

That works but a pain to remember; at least for me.
Get a box of exam gloves. 
Yeah I know medical gloves are scares; but mechanic’s (Latex/rubber or whatever they are) gloves are still available. 
My one supplier shows  over a 100 boxes of gloves in stock. 100 gloves per box for around 15 bucks; that’s only 30 cents a pair. Use them and pitch them. Most of the brands are 5 mil. thick so they do not tare easily. I put a box in my truck; go into a store, I’m warring a pair. 
Dan. 

Thx---any link to where we can get those?

I had to pick up the boat yesterday. I stopped into the CTC store who's website said they had zero gas containers in stock. Yea right, I bought the 4@20 liter jugs they had that weren't supposed to be there. Filled the boat and 6@20 lt. jugs I had with hi octane at 92 cents I was diligent as far as using gloves and using my hand sanitizer. It is near impossible not to be exposed but almost is better than nothing. My wife is still working in her essential position as a cosmetic dept. manager. Make up is essential? Yea right. At least they are suppling gloves and she won't except cash, debit or Visa only. The most problems she is getting are with  Sr. citizen customers, some just don't get it. Also the Mom's that bring in 3 kids and those kids touch everything in sight and Mom couldn't care less. Then there's the lady that is going through all the magazines without gloves on. The lady got upset when she asked her to read the sign. The customer  demanded to see the store manager, "I am the store manager mame." You can't fix stupid and especially stupid and ignorant. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1