Coronavirus.

17 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Idiots jamming the beaches in Florida. Close the beaches??? 

No, let them stay on the beach, in fact MAKE them stay on the beach and let nature take care of them. They have never had to deal with the consequences of their decisions, when their friends start dropping around them they might take it seriously. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Idiots jamming the beaches in Florida. Close the beaches??? 

The beaches, even when jammed, there is more separation than in a grocery store.  They closed the beaches in Alabama yesterday, but they should reopen after the spring break numnuts are gone.

15 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

I am just wondering if there is really any point in getting tested. There is no cure and it seems that if you do test positive you are to self isolate, that's what's suggested anyway for people that MAY have been exposed. 

Unfortunately you can’t just go get tested because you want to. You have to meet all the criteria and I believe in addition to having all the symptoms you needed to have travelled or been near someone that’s travelled.

its probably why Canada’s  numbers are so low, we aren’t testing people. We don’t have the resources (test kits) available to do so. The test itself also takes 48 hours. 

• Like 1

Many here have youngsters off school at home and or Grand kids. Can't go to the Zoo or anywhere. We should post a list of things to keep these kids from going nutso. Maybe this can be a constructive thing. Maybe, just maybe they will get bored of video games and social media and put their phones in their pockets for a bit. We don't have kids so I am of no use telling someone what to do with their kids. The only thing I suggested to friends with Grand kids is to create a board game. They  said they don't know what a game is unless it's on their electronics. Good point. Show them. Drill holes and put in colourful lights on the thing. I dunno.  Where are their parents anyway? I'm told working from home. That has to be tough with little ones running the asylum. 

9 hours ago, Jds63 said:

We will get through this .. we have to listen to what health officials are telling us and keep social distancing it’s the only way we can hopefully start to reduce infections.

When we get back to a sort of normal life again have any of you thought how you might be changing things in the future ? ie .. lifestyle changes , investment strategies, attitudes towards living life ...

Definitely an eye opener on the things we take for granted 

• Like 1

SDM update. Starting tomorrow only 50 people will be allowed in a Shoppers Drug Mart store including staff. My wife's store will have a security guard in the store to monitor this.Nver had a guard on since the store opened 10 years ago. Hopefully the guard can monitor the cosmetics dept. for theft as well. That is all she is doing. 3 sales all night from 4PM to 11PM. The store has been virtually empty all day. I am hoping call of her next shift Sunday. She has a month or vacation pay. Her schedule is day to day now. I hope they lay her off, big severance then for 30 years service. But I in the same breath don't. Getting back to normal would be the best outcome for us all ASAP. That would mean we beat this invisible enemy. This all feels like a bad Sci-Fi movie. Are walking Zombies next? To take them out you must hit them in the head and crush their brains. 

10 hours ago, Jds63 said:

We will get through this .. we have to listen to what health officials are telling us and keep social distancing it’s the only way we can hopefully start to reduce infections.

When we get back to a sort of normal life again have any of you thought how you might be changing things in the future ? ie .. lifestyle changes , investment strategies, attitudes towards living life ...

Yes I hope I am more diligent when in public, like sneezing or coughing into my elbow. With my chronic sinus problems I don't leave home without a pocket of tissues and constant dripping and sneezing. Using sanitizer without thinking twice. Will anyone ever shake another's hand again? As for investments I still want to die owing millions. The suit you are buried  in doesn't have pockets. 

I hope to stock up on frozen veggies and a couple of bags of potatoes and pasta cans of tomatoes . I have enough meat in the freezer for a while . 2 months anyways . Will be smoking 4 large pork hocks Sunday . They have been brining for 2 days now . That will make  4 nice soups .Also have smoked turkey legs for more soup or cassaroles .

Reading the sites, it looks like the stores are limiting many items which I think is AWESOME .

WE ALL HAVE TO SURVIVE THIS .

Then I will stay home after and tie flys for the rest of the weekend . I picked up enough supplies yesterday at Cabelas to last me a while now. LOL

8 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Many here have youngsters off school at home and or Grand kids. Can't go to the Zoo or anywhere. We should post a list of things to keep these kids from going nutso. Maybe this can be a constructive thing. 

https://www.simcoe.com/opinion-story/9911812-self-isolation-while-working-from-home-with-kids-how-one-family-is-managing/?s=n1?source=newsletter&utm_source=ml_nl&utm_medium=email&utm_email=97710053dad40b42730caba73551730c&utm_campaign=siha_73589&utm_content=a08

9 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

Unfortunately you can’t just go get tested because you want to. You have to meet all the criteria and I believe in addition to having all the symptoms you needed to have travelled or been near someone that’s travelled.

its probably why Canada’s  numbers are so low, we aren’t testing people. We don’t have the resources (test kits) available to do so. The test itself also takes 48 hours. 

I don't believe any country on earth has enough test kits, they tried that in Cleveland and could only test a few hundred people.

It was a pleasant surprise to see a full load of fresh veggies and fruits. Meat was starting to get built back up. No cans of tomatoes, no frozen  veggies, had to buy no name mayo. LOL I will survive. Security at the door , people were walking through the store like it was a normal shopping day . All were pleasant and there was no hoarding of anything . Oh, there was no TP or paper towel .  We buy those items at Costco, so we are good for a month or so .

I want to think positive here and say it looks like the fear/shock has calmed down a bit and people are seeing the essentials will be there for them . I hope this continues.

• Like 1

If this thing gets worse before it gets better I strongly believe that it may bring us closer together as a human race rather than further dividing us as it has been for the last several years. 

SirCranksalot. I was thinking more in terms of something more entertaining than exercise, Yoga and reading a book. Something that can keep the attention of an 8 year old for more than 15 minutes for yoga. 15 minutes exercise, now we have 15 hours left to kill. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

1 hour ago, SirCranksalot said:

90623178_10156550673025834_1439277002979803136_n.jpg

What is the health unit going to do after these people are squealed on and caught? They are not breaking any law; self-isolating is a recommendation; it's not a law is it? It is something I completely agree with; they should self-isolate; but how can that be enforced? Start building concentration camps; like we did to the Canadian born Japanese (who were innocent of any crime) , that were hauled off to, during W.W.2?     Lets not go there again.

Sorry

But

I don't want someone calling the health unit on me, because I have a smoker's hack.

Dan.

Edited by DanD
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

If this thing gets worse before it gets better I strongly believe that it may bring us closer together as a human race rather than further dividing us as it has been for the last several years. 

I hope so too. And by all reports...this is going to get a LOT worse before it gets any better. 

Unless I have to go to the grocery, I'm not going out in public besides walking the dog. I see news reports of people still going shopping at stores (Target, others) that remain open. Other than food...why would you go shopping and risk the exposure? 

5 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Limited time, isolation packs

image.png.34997be2c1532cc35da4e161d8631cbd.png

I was worried, so I picked up a limited amount . Running out already. LOL

37 minutes ago, DanD said:

I don't want someone calling the health unit on me, because I have a smoker's hack.

I agree, and also now we are getting into allergy seasons . I have already felt it when we get those warmer days . Never had them before, but now I know how it feels . Like crap some days .

13 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Unless I have to go to the grocery, I'm not going out in public besides walking the dog. I see news reports of people still going shopping at stores (Target, others) that remain open. Other than food...why would you go shopping and risk the exposure?

Be aware of your surroundings and have wipes for your hands . I have been shopping for groceries the past 2 days and 2 trips to Cabelas . I keep vigilant . Everything gets a wipe with my towel here that is accompanied by a large spray bottle of MR.Clean. Well not the food, but can goods fore sure, then rinsed off with water and dried with paper towel .

• Like 1