Coronavirus.

Thanks for your concern HH but my wife hasn't been out of the house for a week and when I went to the grocery store it was 4:00 in the morning and I was the only customer in the place.

We're very careful but still need to buy food.

• Like 1

A couple of other things to consider....

-if you have pets, be sure to pick up 2 months worth of food as soon as you can. It's likely that they will close those stores, sooner than later.

-they say that washing your clothes and putting them in the dryer will kill/get rid of any virus on your clothes... just remember to completely disinfect your laundry basket between washing/drying and folding. If the virus is on your clothes, it will infect your laundry basket. You will be back to square one.

HH

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Headhunter said:

-if you have pets, be sure to pick up 2 months worth of food as soon as you can. It's likely that they will close those stores, sooner than later.

HH

Good point HH. And besides if we run out of people food people with pets will be able to make some serious cash. Anybody ever tried dog or cat🤪

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Headhunter said:

Forget the kids going back to school this spring, that's all but done. They will be lucky to get back in September. We are in this for the long haul.

At the college we have cancelled all in person classes for the rest of the semester(school year).

All staff except essential staff are at home. There are a few like myself still working on setting up the network so all can work from home and deliver classes online so the students don't lose the rest of the school year.

Hopefully next week I'll be locked down at my house until this crap is done with. I've had 2 really bad bouts of the flu this winter and if I come into contact with this thing I can pretty much guarantee I won't make it out alive. I wish my cabin was fully insulated because if I had a big sack of rice and gas I could live out there until the fall.

10 minutes ago, crappieperchhunter said:

Good point HH. And besides if we run out of people food people with pets will be able to make some serious cash. Anybody ever tried dog or cat🤪

That's what started this whole thing!!!!! :blink:                              ;)

• Like 2

My brother and sis in law own a very nice place in The D.R. they were going to stay down there indefinitely to wait out the storm but now even the island has 2 cases of Corona virus. The health care system down there is woeful in the best of times, let alone during a Global Pandemic. Basically nothing, the health workers don't have enough surgical gloves and masks let alone ventilators and equipment for patients. They have to fly into Toronto then change planes to get to Halifax. 

The US State Dept. has  issued the highest travel advisory ever issued CNN reports minutes ago. This is for travelling abroad for any reason. They are saying you might not be allowed to get back home. I saw a young Canadian student from Smithville who studies in Ireland interviewed last night on CHCH TV. She is basically stranded in Ireland as Air Canada can't give her a direct flight to Canada. They would re route her through the US and as soon as she disembarks that plane she is going to have to do the 14 day isolation. No help or answers from Air Canada nor the Canadian Embassy and Federal Gov. I remember being in my 20's and wasn't exactly flush with funds. Hell I remember flying back from Europe once in my early 20's back packing one summer and the 40 bucks in my pocket was my net worth, my buddy had 20. 

22 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

Since the border has now closed to all but "essential" crossings which should be gone by the time we are ready to go to the cottage, I did contact my Senator about it.

My Father in Law will turn 90 on Friday and in excellent health for his age, but if we had an emergency what would the procedure be?

Their response was to contact their office and they would arrange for C19 tests and provide a letter with Richard Shelby's signature and send us on our way.

Hopefully that will not come into play.

If you own property in Canada you are getting in. Be prepared to be able to prove it with documentation. We have neighbours that are U.S. citizens from NY. They got in yesterday, no problem as they had a copy of their deed they showed Customs and mail with their Canadian address on it. They feel it's better to be out here in the country than where they live in a big city in the states. 

15 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

Scary words are thrown around on a daily basis but I try to keep a realistic perception.  At this point in time , worldwide there have been slightly less than 9000 deaths out of a population of 7.8 billion.

Your perspective makes me think of this old saying....

"A recession is when your neighbor is out of work. A depression is when you are out of work."

• Like 1

I have a side question here,,,,,,,,,,,

We are all using hand sanitizer and cleaning solutions everyday and all day . How much of this stuff can the body take ? I am washing and sanitizing probly 20-30 times in 8 hours at work . Not to add wiping down the machines with MR.Clean . I have to do this due to , I am the maintenance guy working on all the machines that are operating . I wipe the machine before t I start to fix,change over, what ever to protect me . Then I repeat when I am done to protect the operator .Then I get home,wipe all touching areas with Lysol wipes . I am starting to taste this stuff .   This cant be really that good  .  All that hand sanitizer will have some after effect soon enough I am sure by all this repeating applications . The fumes from cleaners cannot be helping my respiratory .

Your thoughts ?

Princess Auto was advertising a $34.95 N95 vapor respirator mask last go. Charcoal activated canister filters can be replaced when smell/taste shows filter has expired. Talk to your Occupational health people to see what they say. May need a Drs note saying you are sensitive to X chemical and that you should have a proper filter mask. Re the hand sanitizer most are alcohol based which evaporates and if your Health and safety people check they can advise on procedure. I do recall being told that Purell isn't as popular among nurses compared with Microsan since the latter has moisturizer.

4 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I wish my cabin was fully insulated because if I had a big sack of rice and gas I could live out there until the fall.

Don't forget the beans. R & B makes a complete protein, as any Mexican would know. (Might need to open the window to waft away the ' byproduct' though.

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

My brother and sis in law own a very nice place in The D.R. they were going to stay down there indefinitely to wait out the storm but now even the island has 2 cases of Coronavirus.

D.R. as in Dominican Republic?

They have 34 confirmed cases and 2 deaths to this point.

1 hour ago, misfish said:

We are all using hand sanitizer and cleaning solutions everyday and all day . How much of this stuff can the body take ? I am washing and sanitizing probly 20-30 times in 8 hours at work . Not to add wiping down the machines with MR.Clean . I have to do this due to , I am the maintenance guy working on all the machines that are operating . I wipe the machine before t I start to fix,change over, what ever to protect me . Then I repeat when I am done to protect the operator .Then I get home,wipe all touching areas with Lysol wipes . I am starting to taste this stuff .   This cant be really that good  .  All that hand sanitizer will have some after effect soon enough I am sure by all this repeating applications . The fumes from cleaners cannot be helping my respiratory .

Your thoughts ?

Hand sanitizer at least the Gel kind is 1/3 aloevera gel, 2/3 99% Isopropyl alcohol and most manufacturers add a few drops of an antibacterial essential oil for scent.

How much of this stuff can the body take?

Not sure, but you have to protect yourself somehow. Wearing gloves should be mandatory.
Be careful with this stuff though. Skin on your hands is getting dry and may cause cracking. You should moisturize them.
Otherwise your hands will expose another entry door for the virus.
Same goes for a soap:

While soap can effectively remove dirt and germs from your skin, it can also remove the natural oils secreted by your skin. If you use harsh soaps too frequently, your skin may feel dry and rough. Some soaps are more drying than others, and some are even abrasive or irritating.

Your place should not be dry either. If the humidity is ,say < 40% get some humidifier and use it. 
Here is very nice article about this

https://time.com/5800275/covid-19-wash-hands-dry-skin-tips/

Ideal scenario for all of us working is letting us stay home. No questions here.

Edited by mamona

9 minutes ago, mamona said:

Ideal scenario for all of us working is letting us stay home. No questions here.

I think that might be coming Friday. All of our customers have announced shut downs . Auto sector . All but one as far as I know.

Edited by misfish

Your thoughts ?

For personal use, get a bottle of H2O2 and put a spray pump on it and your good to go. At work make sure you are wearing gloves I guess.

6 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

For personal use, get a bottle of H2O2 and put a spray pump on it and your good to go. At work make sure you are wearing gloves I guess.

Always wearing gloves . It deters me from touching my face. Dont ask how that works,,but it does.

• Like 2